Milk or Protein powder?

Watch
burningnun
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
Uuuuh.

Analyse less, squat more.
Cupid Stunt
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
You're just talking rubbish, why do you think you're right? You sound like one of them people that stick with your own ideas no matter how stupid they are compared to others....Karl Pilkington!
Bebbs
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cupid Stunt)
You're just talking rubbish, why do you think you're right? You sound like one of them people that stick with your own ideas no matter how stupid they are compared to others....Karl Pilkington!
did you just say squatting is a stupid idea

HERESY
burningnun
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cupid Stunt)
Who? What? Me?
coren111
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hi, considering I am going to the gym straight after school so can't drink a protein shake, what is the best out of the following three options to drink (trying to bulk up but don't want to get fat)
Nurishment - can of 420g

Energy 1782/422
Protien 21g
Carbs 61.3 (all Sugars)
Fat 11g (6.7g saturates)
Fibre Nil
Sodium 0.33

Vit A 800ug
Vit D 5.0ug
Vit C 60mg
Thiamin B1 1.2mg
RiboFlavin B2 1.3mg
Niacin 15.1mg
Vit B6 1.7mg
Folacin 168ug
Vit B12 0.8ug
Calcium 714mg
Iron 11.8mg

OR

skimmed milk - 568 ml (1 pint)
204 calories
18.75g protein
almost no fat

For goodness shakes banana
260 calories
16g protein
1g fat?

Nurishment is high in calories and protein but also high in fat, the other two are lower in protein and calories and lower in fat as well?

Which is best straight after a workout or during the day?
Bebbs
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by coren111)
Hi, considering I am going to the gym straight after school so can't drink a protein shake, what is the best out of the following three options to drink (trying to bulk up but don't want to get fat)
Nurishment - can of 420g

Energy 1782/422
Protien 21g
Carbs 61.3 (all Sugars)
Fat 11g (6.7g saturates)
Fibre Nil
Sodium 0.33

Vit A 800ug
Vit D 5.0ug
Vit C 60mg
Thiamin B1 1.2mg
RiboFlavin B2 1.3mg
Niacin 15.1mg
Vit B6 1.7mg
Folacin 168ug
Vit B12 0.8ug
Calcium 714mg
Iron 11.8mg

OR

skimmed milk - 568 ml (1 pint)
204 calories
18.75g protein
almost no fat

For goodness shakes banana
260 calories
16g protein
1g fat?

Nurishment is high in calories and protein but also high in fat, the other two are lower in protein and calories and lower in fat as well?

Which is best straight after a workout or during the day?

is that as a pre workout drink? i would go for the nourishment, the carbs will help your workout. Those for goodness shakes are horrible when ive tried them before, they taste like dust.
coren111
Rep:
(Original post by Bebbs)
is that as a pre workout drink? i would go for the nourishment, the carbs will help your workout. Those for goodness shakes are horrible when ive tried them before, they taste like dust.
No that is a post-workout drink. I don't mind the taste - it is not an issue for me.

I didn't know one is meant to have a pre-workout drink. What are you supposed to have? Or what food?
thanks
Bebbs
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
pre workout should be havy carbs with some proteins, i normally just take a protein shake before and after. It gives you fuel for your workout, i find if i dont eat before i workout ( i dont mean straight away you've got to give it about an hour!) i dont lift as well.

For Post WO i'd still go for the nourishment, if your bulking the cals are good, plus its a pretty nice drink.

Alternatively, just do what i do and if your going inbetween lecture or after school or w/e just carry around a shaker with some whey in it and mix it up afterwards.
coren111
Rep:
is the preworkout drink just to give energy for the workout
i do really short (30 min) workouts of cleans, bench press and chin ups to the max and after that i get tired.
so perhaps i dont need a preworkout shake
or can i drink a nurishment before and after?
Bebbs
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
im pretty sure that the pre workout is to stop you becoming catabolic during exercise. If its only 30mins i dont think you would need it, as long as you ate fairly close to going to the gym, i.e. lunch at 1 gym at 3 or something like that.

It just so happens that i try to eat every 3hours, and i just push the meals together either side of my workout
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Hi, considering I am going to the gym straight after school so can't drink a protein shake
And why not?

I just used to take 2 shakers with 20g of protein in and just add water from the tap/water fountain when I wanted to drink it.
coren111
Rep:
(Original post by Lady Venom)
And why not?

I just used to take 2 shakers with 20g of protein in and just add water from the tap/water fountain when I wanted to drink it.
So I just have to buy a shaker and the protein powder.
Does the shaker mix it will or will it be all blobby?
Bebbs
Rep:
Report 13 years ago

they sell shakers in holland and barrets, or you can get them free when you order certain protein on the internet. It mixes it well, i mix all of my whey in shakers.
Cupid Stunt
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
Who? What? Me?
No not you fools, the milk obsessed guy.

Should of quoted...oops, lol.
Lady Venom
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Er yes - the point of shaker cups is that they are mixing cups. Just don't bin the mesh or you won't be able to mix it and it will go blobby.
Tyler101
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 8 years ago
The protein in milk breaks down over a longer period of time, so takes the body longer to absorb where as you can buy whey proteins where the protein bonds break down easier and faster and therefore go straight to the muscle. In your anabolic window after your workout you need fast absorbing proteins, there's not just one type of protein
cheublawm
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I mix 1x25g scoop of unflavoured whey powder from myprotein.com (21g protein for about 30p) with 400ml of skimmed milk (15g protein) so in total I'm getting around 35g of protein per shake costing me around 50p total, which ain't bad. It's debatable but the body can absorb a max of around 40g of protein in 1 meal so this fits well. Remember that the body cannot store excess protein so anymore is wasted or turned to fat. It is also a fastly digested and metabolised protein source which is good for pre or post workout but as a meal supplement only and not substitute. Get your daily protein and aminos primarily from the food sources you are aware of already. Lastly concentrate on maxing your training. That's my opinion and mantra anyway. Good luck and best wishes.
Castanet1
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
It's a myth that milk takes longer to break down..it breaks down both quickly and slowly as contains whey and casein and triggers mps more than casein/whey. It triggers muscle protein synthesis greater than any legal supplements on the market. However, protein for working out should primarily be obtained froma balanced diet, with a high protein intake. Supplements should only be on top of this!! Overall, milk could potentially allow greater protein uptake and therefore hypertrophy than other supplements. However a balanced diet with high protein (1.2-1.7g/kg/day) should provide sufficient protein! Supplements may be useful as they are both cheaper than milk and not much more protein is likely required...but if you have the money, a litre of skimmed milk after your workout, will certainly do no harm
SmashConcept
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by burningnun)
Uuuuh.

Analyse less, squat more.
Terrible advice :nn:
SmashConcept
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Lady Venom)
Er yes - the point of shaker cups is that they are mixing cups. Just don't bin the mesh or you won't be able to mix it and it will go blobby.
are you still hot?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.03%
Okay (43)
29.86%
A bit lacking (51)
35.42%
Not good at all (37)
25.69%

Watched Threads