Milk or Protein powder?

Watch
Sam Walters
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
I double up my servings of protein powder. 40g of protein from the powder. 20.4g from a pint of semi skimmed.

59.3g per shake.

5kg protein powder £53.22 delivered. 4kg protein. 1.3p/g of protein.

Each shake has a pint of semi skimmed. at 1.29 for 6 pints it makes it 0.215 per pint.

That makes each shake £0.75 so roughly 10p more expensive then drinking 3 pints of milk.

But do you really want to be drinking 6 pints of milk a day?

But lets also look at this another way. Each portion of decent whey protein has 1.8g of sugar and 1.2g of fat in it. 2 portions. So 3.6 and 2.4 respectively.

A pint of semi skimmed has 9.6g of fat in it and 27.3g of sugar. Now double that up. 19.2 and 54.6.

So 15.6g of fat and 52.2g of extra sugar by drinking 3 pints of milk over a shake. Now if you consider you do this twice a day. 31.2g of fat and 104.4g of sugar. Thats getting near on your RDA for sugar in one day.

Just seen how old this thread was. FFS. Anyway if anyone else wants to know why. There it is.
jimson
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
whey is from milk
Implication
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coren111)
I do not understand why people spend so much money on protein powder which has 17g of protein/serving when you can buy a pint of skimmed milk for 40p which has around 18-20g of protein and nearly no fat?

Is there something I'm missing here, because I am going to be relying on milk for bulking/ as a major protein source.

Or is is better to use shakes/powder?

By the way low fat cheese and tuna and yoghurt as well.
Surely natural food is better?
Milk has a lot of sugar

Milk costs more per unit protein than whey protein powder (if you buy from the right places)

Milk has more calories per unit protein than whey protein powder.

'Naturalness' is an ill-defined concept that has no bearing on whether something is good for you.

But there isn't anything magical ot special about protein powder - it's just an easy, fast and cheap way to get protein. There are plenty of other good sources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
dragonblazer11
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
how much glass of milk should a 17year old drinka day
Jg1710
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Well because if you get a good deal on protein powder it costs less than 25p per pint. Plus milk can go off so isn't as convenient. If you leave milk at work other people drink it.
lonefunmen
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
breast is best
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.03%
Okay (43)
29.86%
A bit lacking (51)
35.42%
Not good at all (37)
25.69%

Watched Threads