shivani123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Whats the best way to manage your time during a part-time postgrad course and working part-time and looking for work experience? Thanks
toronto353
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It all depends on what course you're doing, e.g. a Masters or a PhD. My advice is broadly the same across the board and it would be if you can afford to do it full time, either via funding, Government-backed loans, savings etc., then do the course full time. I've seen many students struggle on postgrad courses with managing their work-life-study balance, both full time and part time students. What invariably happens is that they take on a load of hours to live comfortably and pay the course fees etc. This, however, leads to them burning out, feeling fatigued all the time, and thus not enjoying the course nor doing particularly well. Their health, mental and physical, suffers and it's tough to see and if they're part time, I sometimes wonder how committed they feel to the course especially if they can't make all the sessions of a module due to work commitments. Now if you're doing a Masters, it's doable for a year or so, maybe two, but Masters is an intense course. If you're looking to do this for a PhD, then don't. For a PhD, only do it if you have funding from a funding body to do so otherwise it's just not worth it career wise or financially. If you're more specific, I can hopefully give more tailored advice, but hope this helps.
shivani123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello thanks sooo much for your advice, I am doing a Masters not a PhD

(Original post by toronto353)
It all depends on what course you're doing, e.g. a Masters or a PhD. My advice is broadly the same across the board and it would be if you can afford to do it full time, either via funding, Government-backed loans, savings etc., then do the course full time. I've seen many students struggle on postgrad courses with managing their work-life-study balance, both full time and part time students. What invariably happens is that they take on a load of hours to live comfortably and pay the course fees etc. This, however, leads to them burning out, feeling fatigued all the time, and thus not enjoying the course nor doing particularly well. Their health, mental and physical, suffers and it's tough to see and if they're part time, I sometimes wonder how committed they feel to the course especially if they can't make all the sessions of a module due to work commitments. Now if you're doing a Masters, it's doable for a year or so, maybe two, but Masters is an intense course. If you're looking to do this for a PhD, then don't. For a PhD, only do it if you have funding from a funding body to do so otherwise it's just not worth it career wise or financially. If you're more specific, I can hopefully give more tailored advice, but hope this helps.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (36)
28.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
8.66%
No I am happy with my choice (71)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (9)
7.09%

Watched Threads