Robotic combat megathread Watch

AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
It's been over a year since Robot Wars was cancelled in the UK, again (on TV at least), but with a new series of BattleBots on the horizon, and China's King of Bots Season 2 coming up at some point as well, the sport is still going strong!

This thread is for discussion of any fighting robot series or live shows, new, old or upcoming. Post videos, debate controversial judges decisions, anything goes. But keep any recent stuff in spoiler tags. :security:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
To start things off: has anyone else actually watched the Chinese series King of Bots? The first series launched last year, and all eight episodes are available to watch in their entirety on Zhejiang TV's Official Youtube channel. Featuring none other than Jet Li as presenter! :zomg:

First ep:

Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fLgtxFgZsWeERf

Unfortunately, it isn't subtitled in English, but due to the large number of international competitors (plenty of familiar faces for Robot Wars and BattleBots fans!), a good amount of it is in English anyway. Even the judges decisions, as Ian Lewis of Razer fame is one of the panel. And of course, the fights themselves are devoid of any language barrier. I'd recommend it, the production values are superb.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
To start things off: has anyone else actually watched the Chinese series King of Bots? The first series launched last year, and all eight episodes are available to watch in their entirety on Zhejiang TV's Official Youtube channel. Featuring none other than Jet Li as presenter! :zomg:

First ep:

Full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...fLgtxFgZsWeERf

Unfortunately, it isn't subtitled in English, but due to the large number of international competitors (plenty of familiar faces for Robot Wars and BattleBots fans!), a good amount of it is in English anyway. Even the judges decisions, as Ian Lewis of Razer fame is one of the panel. And of course, the fights themselves are devoid of any language barrier. I'd recommend it, the production values are superb.
That Razor-esc robot at the 41 minute mark :sly:
Team Spectre :sly:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
That Razor-esc robot at the 41 minute mark :sly:
Team Spectre :sly:
And the monstrosity that is Gary Cairns' Crossfire! :coma:

Name:  Crossfire_Grubs_dance.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  187.5 KB
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Spoilers for BattleBots 2019 episode 1:

Spoiler:
Show

Great opening matchup! Sawblaze looked as cool as ever. :coma:

Cobalt! :afraid: Much better than their earlier BattleBots design, this is what we're used to seeing from the guy behind Carbide and Tungsten.

I love the more 'novelty' bots. Nice to see Kraken get a win, fun team.

End Game vs Death Roll was the real 'main event' of the episode in my eyes, what a turn around! :eek3: Death Roll seems so durable. It'd suck if End Game fails to make the top 16 again this year, though.

HyperShock sucked less! :yay: Still cheering for them to win. Liking the pit interviews this year. Valkyrie was unlucky, I thought they might just steal it after HyperShock went in for that last, unnecessary hit.

Quantum = Spectre; I know what that beast is capable of, following King of Bots. Of course, BattleBots has the '30 second hold' rule... I did think the win would end up going to Blacksmith by default on account of Quantum breaking that rule (intentionally or not), but the ruling seems to be that as long as they try to separate, all's good.

And after all that, Tombstone vs Lock-Jaw was (relatively speaking) the least exciting battle of the ep. Always ends quickly when Tombstone is involved, one way or another. Still, that wedge on Lock-Jaw held up, which I wasn't expecting.

Faruq's beard is awesome.

BattleBots is back! :yay:
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 1 month ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
A more in-depth commentary/review on the above:

AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
:tumble:

10 Robot Rumble :blow:

Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Watched Battlebots' first episode of the series. Ugh. So good :sogood:
Tombstone match was pretty disappointing. Wouldn't call it a main event :no:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by 8472)
Watched Battlebots' first episode of the series. Ugh. So good :sogood:
Tombstone match was pretty disappointing. Wouldn't call it a main event :no:
The whole 'Main Event' thing does seem a bit needless, given the overall quality of the competition as a whole. There are few matchups (out of those that get televised anyway) that ever disappoint. Still, I guess it's just another part of the 'Fight Night', UFC-style presentation they've got going.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Spoilers for BattleBots 2019 episode 2:

Spoiler:
Show

Shame to see Huge start with a loss, but against a lesser spinner those wheels would probably have held up just fine.

Amazing that both Black Dragon and Texas Twister caught fire, yet survived to the end of the battle. Who needs batteries? :laugh: Can't say I agree with the decision, Black Dragon did all the pushing and made good use of the arena hazards... but BattleBots always did put more of a focus on 'primary weapons', and Black Dragon's broke first. :dontknow:

GRUDGE MATCH! :excited: I did actually agree with last years Rumble decision, given the special rule which meant a robot only needed to be active at the end, regardless of how long they'd been immobilized during the fight... why exactly the rule needed to be changed in the first place is the controversial part, they didn't HAVE to stick 8 referees around to count out each individual bot! Anyway, thoughts on the rematch: Duck is awesome! :coma: Loved the acrobatics at the end~

Shatter = Blue, another successful bot in China. Possibly the only team ever to be eliminated from a competition despite not losing a single fight, due to This is Fighting Robots' unusual celeb-led team format. The velcro armour is new, however! :zomg: No win for them this time though, impressive start to the fight from Witch Doctor, even if the second half was pretty tense!

Mammoth! :zomg: An impressive win, though I can't see it standing up to most horizontal spinners. And that BatleBots-branded cast! Axe Backwards looks so stylish this year. :coma:

Wan Hoo is not the greatest Chinese robot I've ever seen (though it does look very nice!); still took the hits and the win, which is all that matters in the end!

A surprisingly non-destructive Main Event, featuring more battery smoke! Not a controversial decision this time however, Whiplash was much more aggressive.

Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 4 weeks ago
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Duck :rofl:
barror1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Wait I'm here!!!!!

Spoiler:
Show
Please can someone update me on what has been going on since Robot Wars was cancelled? :laugh:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Sorry, completely forgot to reply to this yesterday!

(Original post by barror1)
Wait I'm here!!!!!

Spoiler:
Show

Please can someone update me on what has been going on since Robot Wars was cancelled? :laugh:
As far as the UK goes, it lives on in the form of live shows from Extreme Robots - whose Portsmouth event is currently being edited and released as weekly 'episodes' on Youtube. Lacks the high production values of Mentorn's Robot Wars, but has many of the same faces! :yep:

Their main rival would be Robots Live! Tends to be smaller live events, with no spinners (due to the extra costs of having to build a portable arena capable of containing them).

Elsewhere in the world, China has gotten into it in a big way, launching King of Bots and This is Fighting Robots in 2018. The former is due a second series in the near future. In the USA, BattleBots is in its 4th rebooted season.

There may be more; I think Russia have at least one big annual competition, though I don't know whether that's televised or not. Even I can only follow so many events. :laugh:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Rather dull episode. Not a lot of action
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Spoilers for BattleBots 2019 episode 3:

Spoiler:
Show

Fantastic start to the episode; Skorpios failing to make the Top 16 last year felt very unfair given their good performance, though admittedly there wasn't much left of the robot by the time the judging panel made their list. Here's hoping 2019 goes better for them!

Blood Sport was impressive, another spinner to look out for.

Thought we were going to see a surprise victory for Free Shipping there, for a second! I always think of hydraulics as powerful, but slow - Hydra is clear proof that the technology has come a long way.

MONSOOOOON!

Railgun Max seems like the better Chinese bot in the competition this year. :zomg: Hopefully that won't be the last we see of MadCatter though, Martin Mason is one of my favourite robotic combat personalities, so it's great to see him in charge of his own team again.

Breaker Box = Wrecker from China's This is Fighting Robots. Nice to see them get a win this time! I do like Falcon's design, and that first hit was awesome, so I hope they can fix those mobility issues for later matches.

The reigning champion starts the new year with a win... just about. Fantastic weapon, at the very least. Nice dancing from Yeti, too. :giggle:

(Original post by 8472)
Rather dull episode. Not a lot of action
Name:  Mad-Catter-Proffessor-Martin-Mason-s2019-1140x760.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  81.6 KB
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Link for the King of Bots 'Opening Battle' (70 minute special), from back in January this year, which I just finally got around to watching! :yay:

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av40960130

My thoughts
11 minutes of introductory fluff. :blow:

The new design for Greedy Snake is pretty unique! I preferred the old 'snatch' weapon, but sometimes a simple wedge is just more effective.

Saber has also gone through a major re-design, because who needs armour! :zomg: Got to love a good thwackbot, as well - possibly the worst matchup for a flipper, even one of Saber's caliber. Correct decision from the judges, Iron Rooster was the better driven and more aggressive of the two.

Featherweights! So small. So fast. So close! Calabash Bros seemed the best of the two, but spent a good chunk of the last minute unable to move properly, before suddenly coming back to life. Can't disagree with the decision, for that reason.

More featherweights~ How the heck was Beast, who had one wheel knocked off at the start, the more mobile of the two? :laugh: I loved how they managed to get it moving in some way or another every time the refs started to count it down, while Red River Xiongfeng just sat there twitching. Why the latter didn't get counted out is the real mystery. Amazing that it lasted to a judges decision, and even more amazing that they gave the win to the one-wheeled Beast. Best decision ever.

Half-time dancing idols, feat. Iron Man. :dancing2: That was certainly something.

Costume change, more dancing. :dancing: They're quite good singers, actually. And yet, you never see Music full of C-Pop threads. :holmes: Ohh, darkness and red glowsticks!

Back to the robots, and the heavyweights! Ghost No.1 is a budget Tombstone. Tanshe is as fantastic as ever - good to see at least one team bringing back a robot that hasn't gone through a complete re-design, but how can you improve on such perfection? I don't think I've ever seen a flipper physically destroy another robot to that extent before! :laugh:

Two very impressive featherweights; Patchwork is a great drum spinner, but Amnesia is clearly designed to beat such machines, and was driven to perfection.

Final featherweight fight, finished fast. Forsaken falls.

Vulcan :coma: Versus an egg-beater spinner, always an interesting design. Great start for Hold Me Back, but Vulcan's a tough one to beat.

Spectre :coma: :coma: :coma: Against one of the biggest names on the Chinese robotics scene, Two BBQ. And the BBQ absolutely smashed the reigning champion to smithereens! :zomg: Shame that the big hitters like them, Greedy Snake and Xiake haven't made their way over to BattleBots, though we do of course have Spectre in the form of Quantum.

Great stuff overall, and nice to see other weight classes given some attention. :king1:

Latest rumours regarding the start date for series 2 seem to be pointing towards 'some time in July'.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 3 weeks ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Spoilers for BattleBots 2019 episode 4:

Spoiler:
Show

Duck beat Cobalt! Which I predicted would happen, just not in the way it did happen. Seems that durability > destructibility is a running theme this year.

Bombshell continues its losing streak... I still think their 2016, multi-weapon design was superior. :moon:

Rainbow's spinner looked AMAZING while rotating! The paint job, that is. :pride: It'll be interesting to see how it fares against a tougher opponent, but I'd like to see them do well.

Great driving from Donald Hudson - seems Lock-Jaw won't be in the Desperado Tournament this year. :p:

Blacksmith vs Kraken was much closer than I expected. :zomg: I agree with the decision, but Kraken proved it can go up against tougher opponents!

Ribbot! :eek4: This has not been End Game's year. :no:

Nice to see a fight involving Tombstone that wasn't *immediately* over. Good show by SawBlaze. :congrats:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
There are a handful of unaired battles from last year's BattleBots up on their Youtube channel now, BTW. No new stuff being added for this series yet, though. :moon:

AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Spoilers for BattleBots 2019 episode 5:

Spoiler:
Show

Solid first fight for Black Dragon. :blow:

Captain Shrederator seemed to think they were fighting the Battle Box. :hmmmm2: Good hits for Witch Doctor.

Huge! :yay: Unusual hammer design on Jasper. :hmmmm2:

Interesting to see that Gigabyte faced Chronos in an unaired fight, if only because Chronos is the first robot I've seen which has kept exactly the same name and design as in the Chinese series 'This is Fighting Robots'. All other machines opted for changes (Quantum, Shatter etc), I assumed these were necessary for copyright / exclusivity reasons. Maybe they were just precautionary. :dontknow:

Anyway, Minotaur vs Gigabyte could have been the main event, on robot pedigree alone (which seems to be the only criteria they use). :coma: I did not expect it to go to the judges. :zomg: Fantastic to see Gigabyte go 2-0; could be seeing Minotaur in the Desperado!

Uppercut is such an odd looking machine... and that's saying something, next to Mammoth! As for the latter, sticking in butane tanks deliberately hoping they'll blow up in your face is a new tactic on me. :mmm:

Nice win for Shatter! Wan Hoo did well to hang in there. Lots of robots on 1-1 this year.

Whiplash continues to prove that it's one of the best (driven, at the very least) machines in the competition. Safe bet for the 16, surely, even if they somehow go 2-2 in their next battle.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed