The Student Room Group

Subject choices

Basically I was hoping for some general advice. I have signed up to do English literature, geography, history and German next year. Everyone is telling me just to be patient and wait for the results to come out but I am not content with my subjects as they are all very exam based and similar as they are all heavy writing subjects. So I was considering some changes (results depending) history to health and social care, geography to drama and German to French. I haven't done drama or health and social and GCSE and was wondering what they are like from people who have done them. I think all bar drama are CCEA as drama is WJEC. Any advice would be appreciated!
Original post by Rneilly
Basically I was hoping for some general advice. I have signed up to do English literature, geography, history and German next year. Everyone is telling me just to be patient and wait for the results to come out but I am not content with my subjects as they are all very exam based and similar as they are all heavy writing subjects. So I was considering some changes (results depending) history to health and social care, geography to drama and German to French. I haven't done drama or health and social and GCSE and was wondering what they are like from people who have done them. I think all bar drama are CCEA as drama is WJEC. Any advice would be appreciated!

You have to work out what you want to do for either a career or degree course. Your A level choices would then make more sense.
Your changes are a bit bemusing and am not seeing where health and social care or drama came from or to what end?
Original post by Rneilly

Health and social care is so random.....so is drama when you didn't do it for GCSE.... and French is just as exam based as German so :dontknow:

Do you know what you want to do at Uni, if you do want to go to uni that is?
Reply 3
Yes I know that they are random choices but I wanted to do drama at GCSE but my parents wouldn't let me take the subject and I wanted to do health and social care at GCSE but my school doesn't offer it until A-levels.
At University, I was hoping to study either mental health nursing or post-primary teaching and then go on to do one as a career.
Original post by harrysbar
Health and social care is so random.....so is drama when you didn't do it for GCSE.... and French is just as exam based as German so :dontknow:

Do you know what you want to do at Uni, if you do want to go to uni that is?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes I should've mentioned that in my post. I am thinking of either doing mental health nursing or post-primary teaching at university and then go on to do it as a career and that is where mental health nursing comes in as the courses I have looked at accept a science as a social science. The drama is really because I have always loved drama, wanted to do it at GCSE but my parents wouldn't let me study it and forced me to do double languages instead.
Original post by 999tigger
You have to work out what you want to do for either a career or degree course. Your A level choices would then make more sense.
Your changes are a bit bemusing and am not seeing where health and social care or drama came from or to what end?
(edited 4 years ago)
You do not need to do 4 full A levels.

No UK University asks for, or wants, 4 subjects.
It doesn't get you extra 'points' or mean you are more likely to get an offer because you look 'clever'.

And more importantly, doing four subjects is hard work and often backfires.
AAA will always look better than ABBB. Always.
Reply 6
Thank you for the advice but my school forces us to do four AS levels and 3 A-Levels unless you receive "special consideration" in exams. Outside of that, everyone has to do 4 and then 3. If I could, I would only do 3 AS levels but I have to do four

Original post by returnmigrant
You do not need to do 4 full A levels.

No UK University asks for, or wants, 4 subjects.
It doesn't get you extra 'points' or mean you are more likely to get an offer because you look 'clever'.

And more importantly, doing four subjects is hard work and often backfires.
AAA will always look better than ABBB. Always.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8

Quick Reply

Latest