I’m such a nervous driver - help! Watch

chailatte101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I learnt to drive when I was 17/18 and then took my test and failed, badly (think multiple majors!). I gave up driving after that, partly because I think the failure spooked me a bit and I was heading off to uni soon and knew I wouldn’t need to know how to drive there, as there was good public transport, nobody took a car with them etc. Anyway, fast forward to now, and I’ve finished uni, 22 years old, and just starting to have lessons again. However, I’m still such a nervous driver (I was so so nervous when I first learnt). I get so agitated before a lesson and just feel terrified the entire time. Put me up against a roundabout, a junction, anything that isn’t a straight road and I just fall apart. I’m mildly dyspraxic too, which means I often get my left and right muddled up, find it difficult to multi task, and struggle with things people would find easy such as just how to change from one gear to another, judging car distances etc, things like that. I just end up panicking in the most normal of situations whilst driving and it doesn’t seem to be improving. I’m worried deep down that I’ll never be able to drive. I keep telling myself it’s just practice but I’m not sure... and I also don’t want to learn an automatic. Has anyone had a similar experience? Were you able to control the nerves/anxiety? I also struggle to understand basic things like who has right of way at a roundabout lol. I’m not stupid, but I’ve always just found practical things so difficult and just stuck to the academic things.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by chailatte101)
I learnt to drive when I was 17/18 and then took my test and failed, badly (think multiple majors!). I gave up driving after that, partly because I think the failure spooked me a bit and I was heading off to uni soon and knew I wouldn’t need to know how to drive there, as there was good public transport, nobody took a car with them etc. Anyway, fast forward to now, and I’ve finished uni, 22 years old, and just starting to have lessons again. However, I’m still such a nervous driver (I was so so nervous when I first learnt). I get so agitated before a lesson and just feel terrified the entire time. Put me up against a roundabout, a junction, anything that isn’t a straight road and I just fall apart. I’m mildly dyspraxic too, which means I often get my left and right muddled up, find it difficult to multi task, and struggle with things people would find easy such as just how to change from one gear to another, judging car distances etc, things like that. I just end up panicking in the most normal of situations whilst driving and it doesn’t seem to be improving. I’m worried deep down that I’ll never be able to drive. I keep telling myself it’s just practice but I’m not sure... and I also don’t want to learn an automatic. Has anyone had a similar experience? Were you able to control the nerves/anxiety? I also struggle to understand basic things like who has right of way at a roundabout lol. I’m not stupid, but I’ve always just found practical things so difficult and just stuck to the academic things.
As much as it's probably not what you'd like to hear, I'd say it really is just about perseverance - I absolutely hated driving when I first started, and found that lessons made me really anxious. I just had to push through and get to passing my test; it was only after I started to drive alone after that that I actually started to find enjoyment for it. I think the pressure of being taught and having someone watching you really doesn't help it be fun!

I'd also explain to your instructor that you're feeling so nervous, if you haven't already - they might be able to take you on routes that ramp things up more slowly, so that you feel less pressure when you're in the lessons.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just take your time and accept it'll take as long as it takes. You'll get there you just need to persist.
M.el
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hi, I also started driving lessons when I was 17, midway through actually and let me tell you something. If you feel you are going to fail, try and not think about it and I know it’s easier said than done but trust me. I failed my driving test 3 times, and in each of them I was as nervous than the one before but I tried to not get any of my negative thoughts in the way of me actually driving. A few tips I would give you is to actually chew gum, it might sound weird but it helped me a lot actually and also try speaking the the person examining you as there will be less tension.
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Tell yourself "all i need to do is drive safely". You can do that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (313)
66.03%
No (161)
33.97%

Watched Threads