The Student Room Group

Gay couple beaten up for refusing to kiss >:[

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-48555889

So disgusting. This is not okay, gay or not. How can anyone do this? So disappointed in the human race.

Scroll to see replies

the human race disappoints me every day I wake up tbh. just let people live their lives FFS.
Terrible. Inconceivable brutality.

Hope they recover soon and that their assailants receive swift and severe judgement/punishment.

Hopefully the greater picture is Finally acknowledged when the suspects are revealed.
Out of order....i'm so suprised that this happened in freaking London

Of all the damn places in the country....London
And this, right here, is why Pride is still relevant in the UK in 2019. Disgusting attack.
:frown:
This is so horrifying from the jeering comments that they received to the physical violence. It's unbelievable but it happens and I can't imagine what they must be going through
Original post by Trapmoneybenny
Out of order....i'm so suprised that this happened in freaking London

Of all the damn places in the country....London

why?
whilst this is disgusting there are still a handful of bigots. There are more people in London like this than anywhere else, as well as more crime, more violent crime, almost anything like this there's more of it in London than the rest of the UK.
You should never resort to physical violence even if you disagree
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by TS33
Very very bad. In this country, even if you disagree with somebody's actions if they're not harming or bothering you then leave them alone

Interesting that someone tried to argue not so long ago that Pride had no relevance as gay men and lesbians had achieved all they wanted. This proves it is not the case.

Bigotry has been in part encouraged or made easier by Brexit, incidentally.
Original post by barnetlad
Interesting that someone tried to argue not so long ago that Pride had no relevance as gay men and lesbians had achieved all they wanted. This proves it is not the case.

Bigotry has been in part encouraged or made easier by Brexit, incidentally.

What?
Everyone has the right to love, this is terrible.
Original post by barnetlad

There is nothing here to indicate lack of equality in mainstream society and culture, which are really the target of the Pride movement. There will always be deviants who ignore society's message of tolerance, e.g. those who **** people on the bus for no reason.

Straight men and women also get twatted on the bus, you know. For dubious motivations ultimately. If these people were sat on the bus talking about having a date with men from work, could you safely conclude that they would not end up being assaulted?
(edited 4 years ago)
Absolutely horrendous news - as people have expressed previously, this is the exact reason we still need pride; the fact that attacks are still happening shows that we have a long way to go to reach true acceptance and equality.
Hopefully the spoons behind the mindless acts are found.

In an ideal world the driver could've trapped them on the bus until police arrived, but unfortunately was most likely unaware of what was happening until the culprits fled.

Edit: In an ideal world it would never have happened.
(edited 4 years ago)
Individuals continuing to be targeted because of their (homo) sexuality shows how pride is still very much needed.
Original post by mnot
why?
whilst this is disgusting there are still a handful of bigots. There are more people in London like this than anywhere else, as well as more crime, more violent crime, almost anything like this there's more of it in London than the rest of the UK.

I hear that, it's got a ton of people. I dunno, but this sort of behaviour is really low, especially what the scumbags were telling the women "to kiss and perform sexual acts on each other". Plain evil

Can't wait until they catch the low-lifes, i'd enjoy watching em squirm under scrutiny
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Notoriety
There is nothing here to indicate lack of equality in mainstream society and culture, which are really the target of the Pride movement. There will always be deviants who ignore society's message of tolerance, e.g. those who **** people on the bus for no reason.

Straight men and women also get twatted on the bus, you know. For dubious motivations ultimately. If these people were sat on the bus talking about having a date with men from work, could you safely conclude that they would not end up being assaulted?

The issue here is that they were explicitly targeted for their sexuality, and for being a couple - so yes, you could conclude that the same thing would not have happened if they were talking about dating a guy from work. It's also worth noting that one of the two women attacked stated she had previously experienced "a lot of verbal violence", so it's not a one off occurrence by an outlier.
Original post by shadowdweller
The issue here is that they were explicitly targeted for their sexuality, and for being a couple - so yes, you could conclude that the same thing would not have happened if they were talking about dating a guy from work. It's also worth noting that one of the two women attacked stated she had previously experienced "a lot of verbal violence", so it's not a one off occurrence by an outlier.

I am sorry but I simply cannot agree.

There are people who are bullies to people on public transport, generally. They do it to everyone, as long as they have opportunity. I think we have all seen or heard of this happening. Even extends to fatal attacks with weapons. All for no reason; or that the person who attacked another person was feeling belligerent that day.

I don't think that for people willing to assault another person wouldn't mention someone's sexuality while bullying them, after they realised the person they were bullying was gay. It is impossible to say categorically -- no matter how much you'd like to -- that this attack was primarily or solely motivated by the victims' sexuality.
Apart from one of them speaking Spanish was there no other description?
Don't they have multiple cameras on buses now?
Hopefully they will be identified quickly

Quick Reply

Latest