Guardian University League tables 2020 - Notts Trent rules Watch

winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)
Yes but if you care about the content the uni is providing you in the teaching, some professors have more expertise than others, if all you want is the piece of a paper from a reputable institute then yes very true L'Boro is considered a very strong engineering uni, but if you care about the content as well, then you might want to have more world leading experts on hand teaching you the content and a handful of Unis have that in engineering.
Not when it comes to vocational degrees really. The 'world leading experts' will have tonnes of expertise which isn't really relevant to students whose biggest hurdle will be getting their foot on the bottom of the ladder in a junior or graduate position. They won't have the same kind of expertise that you'd expect from someone who has a lot of commercial experience and who understands the needs and expectations of employers. The name of the university or its reputation aren't important for finding jobs which require those skills either.

Academics' expertise is often detached from the kind of expertise that you'd get from someone with a lot of current or recent experience in doing a job commercially; that can include ways of working or the use of all kinds of tools and techniques which aren't suitable for a commercial environment. It's more useful to a graduate's employability prospects to learn from someone with a lot of current or recent experience in doing the job commercially.

Universities often have course content crafted by people who have a lot of recent commercial experience, or in association with local employers and industry partners to make sure that it includes all that sort of thing, since it's important to learn using the same tools, techniques and technologies that employers use, and to follow the same kinds of working practices (as far as possible) at university as would be expected from a job. So the content of the course is going to be far more relevant if it's designed by people who understand the job and the industry compared with someone who has been in academia for years.
Last edited by winterscoming; 4 weeks ago
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Most of why LSE students earn more will be down to the industry and location of their jobs. An accounting job in investment banking in the City is going to pay more than an accounting job with the NHS in Nottingham.

People will say the IB job is better because it pays more, but factor in working hours and benefits, cost of living, that’s not necessarily the case.
Location is only part of it, it's also the companies who want to employ LSE grads, when an LSE grad goes into 'accounting' its in a Big 4 firm, plenty of grads at other top Unis get accounting jobs at other London based firms but never earn as much at a tier 2 or boutique.
They disproportionately fill IB/financial services jobs not because there in London (they still outperform all other London based Unis) but because firms hiring believe the individual candidates are stronger.
The location thing is only one part of why their grads perform so well on the job market, the reality is odds are an LSE graduate just has a better resume then a grad from York, Manchester or any other Uni (apart from maybe Oxbridge)

Yes i agree about the industry thing, but plenty of grads at other good Unis try to compete but just under perform relatively in job applications.
Last edited by mnot; 4 weeks ago
travelcollegeguy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I dont think people should take that much notice of league tables and go to the uni they are comfortable with and feel at home. It's the course and tutors that mattrt
StarLinyx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
The leading graduate employers select graduates from a range of universities. It is perfectly possible that a 1st class graduate from York or Manchester can succeed in getting into any top firm, just like one from LSE.
(Original post by mnot)
Location is only part of it, it's also the companies who want to employ LSE grads, when an LSE grad goes into 'accounting' its in a Big 4 firm, plenty of grads at other top Unis get accounting jobs at other London based firms but never earn as much at a tier 2 or boutique.
They disproportionately fill IB/financial services jobs not because there in London (they still outperform all other London based Unis) but because firms hiring believe the individual candidates are stronger.
The location thing is only one part of why their grads perform so well on the job market, the reality is odds are an LSE graduate just has a better resume then a grad from York, Manchester or any other Uni (apart from maybe Oxbridge)

Yes i agree about the industry thing, but plenty of grads at other good Unis try to compete but just under perform relatively in job applications.
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
The leading graduate employers select graduates from a range of universities. It is perfectly possible that a 1st class graduate from York or Manchester can succeed in getting into any top firm, just like one from LSE.
i agree, im just saying in the original post the poster made out lse grads are only more successful because of location and job selection, which definitely has some effect, but not entirely, LSE grads on average outperform other universities grads, my point was some of that some of disparity is just that these grads on average perform better in the graduate recruitment process. I was talking in a general sense not specific to any individual comparison...
StarLinyx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Prestigious though LSE may be, they do still offer a lot of arts degrees that may not be as attractive to employers as STEM subjects offered at less prestigious universities.

(Original post by mnot)
i agree, im just saying in the original post the poster made out lse grads are only more successful because of location and job selection, which definitely has some effect, but not entirely, LSE grads on average outperform other universities grads, my point was some of that some of disparity is just that these grads on average perform better in the graduate recruitment process. I was talking in a general sense not specific to any individual comparison...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (137)
17.77%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (73)
9.47%
No I am happy with my course choice (454)
58.88%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (107)
13.88%

Watched Threads