Should I go to uni and can I handle it Watch

Nournash
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
The problem is that I am not academically smart but I really want to go to university however my family are putting me off as they don’t think I can cope with the work and the grades. I only got 5GCSE so I did a BTEC and have got a DDM . I already have a offer for criminology which I really want to do but then again I’m scared because I know that uni is not easy . I don’t think I can get the grades but then again I may be able to and want to try but I don’t just want to as I’m scared that I can’t meet the university expectations and I don’t want to drop out. What do you think I should do ?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, :shakehand:

Sorry to hear that you feel this way!

As you have said, university is not easy. However, it is a chance to study an area that you are really passionate about! I believe that it makes sense to say that passion helps fuel your studies, particularly at university.

Also, when you say you are not academically smart; while university is by all means academic, there is an element of freedom within it that allows you to steer that academic focus where you would like.

For example, I studied Early Childhood and Education for my degree. They were not subjects I had studied previously (there were elements of Psychology in both which I had studied previously however). So it felt a little daunting stepping into something new. But once I felt the passion for the subjects, I was able to use it to help me thrive. Within my essay writing and my research, I had a real emphasis on the areas I could really debate both sides of.

To give you an example, I really enjoyed exploring creativity in teaching - it is what my dissertation project was on. I understood creativity and the theories behind it and so understood in my research and analysis how to both argue for and against it - understand why it is both desirable and possibly detrimental too in teaching, to put it plainly.

What's more, universities have a range of support networks available. Here at Hope, we have out Student Support and Well-being team, who offer services from financial help, careers to health concerns. We also have a Writing Mentors Service, which is ran by the library to help students with their academic writing and references.

These are just some examples of the support available, it will be unique to every university.

What I would advise you to do is really research into university. Go and talk to as many people as you can, mainly on Open Days and so on. Get a feel for what it would be like! Ultimately, it has to come down to you. What you feel would be the right move for you. But do not let the fear of failure pave your pathway - its always a challenge but overcoming fears is always a worthwhile achievement! :congrats:

I hope you find this useful! Any questions, give us a shout.

Ste :beard:
(Original post by Nournash)
The problem is that I am not academically smart but I really want to go to university however my family are putting me off as they don’t think I can cope with the work and the grades. I only got 5GCSE so I did a BTEC and have got a DDM . I already have a offer for criminology which I really want to do but then again I’m scared because I know that uni is not easy . I don’t think I can get the grades but then again I may be able to and want to try but I don’t just want to as I’m scared that I can’t meet the university expectations and I don’t want to drop out. What do you think I should do ?
nintysixthousand
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
you can always try a foundation year!
Nournash
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Thank you, very useful advice
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hey, :shakehand:

Sorry to hear that you feel this way!

As you have said, university is not easy. However, it is a chance to study an area that you are really passionate about! I believe that it makes sense to say that passion helps fuel your studies, particularly at university.

Also, when you say you are not academically smart; while university is by all means academic, there is an element of freedom within it that allows you to steer that academic focus where you would like.

For example, I studied Early Childhood and Education for my degree. They were not subjects I had studied previously (there were elements of Psychology in both which I had studied previously however). So it felt a little daunting stepping into something new. But once I felt the passion for the subjects, I was able to use it to help me thrive. Within my essay writing and my research, I had a real emphasis on the areas I could really debate both sides of.

To give you an example, I really enjoyed exploring creativity in teaching - it is what my dissertation project was on. I understood creativity and the theories behind it and so understood in my research and analysis how to both argue for and against it - understand why it is both desirable and possibly detrimental too in teaching, to put it plainly.

What's more, universities have a range of support networks available. Here at Hope, we have out Student Support and Well-being team, who offer services from financial help, careers to health concerns. We also have a Writing Mentors Service, which is ran by the library to help students with their academic writing and references.

These are just some examples of the support available, it will be unique to every university.

What I would advise you to do is really research into university. Go and talk to as many people as you can, mainly on Open Days and so on. Get a feel for what it would be like! Ultimately, it has to come down to you. What you feel would be the right move for you. But do not let the fear of failure pave your pathway - its always a challenge but overcoming fears is always a worthwhile achievement! :congrats:

I hope you find this useful! Any questions, give us a shout.

Ste :beard:
Liverpool Hope University
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
No worries, anything else we acn help with, give us a shout!
Thank you, very useful advice
debbiemay78
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi,

I felt exactly the same!
I am now studying at glyndwr in Wrexham, just finished my first year and it’s the best decision I ever made!

There is so much support available here at the uni academically and on a personal level, the tutors are supportive and approachable with staff and students so friendly.

Lots of courses here have a foundation year that is a fab start if you’re unsure of your ability. There is also a course called ‘the confident learner’ Which runs in the summer that prepares you for uni, something I found a real bonus when I started my studies.

glyndwr is so inclusive of different types of learner, age and ability and really are committed to their students learning journey.

Explore your options and if it’s what you want go for it, good luck 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (316)
15.3%
The paper was reasonable (1132)
54.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (453)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (165)
7.99%

Watched Threads