The Student Room Group

(i) Give the IUPAC name of the position isomer of X. help pls

here is the full question and mark scheme
i am confused i thought it would be but 2 ene because the double bond is on the second carbon
Original post by dyfugikholjp
i am confused i thought it would be but 2 ene because the double bond is on the second carbon

The molecule given IS but-2-ene, but the question asks you for the name of its positional isomer, which is but-1-ene.
Compound X is but-2-ene, and the question is asking for the name of a positional isomer to compound X

Therefore, it must be but-1-ene
Couldn't have said it any better, yes it's quite straight forward, don't get confused when they use the word position isomer instead of Positional, my teacher says it throws students off to overthink.
Original post by MMA-Medic
Compound X is but-2-ene, and the question is asking for the name of a positional isomer to compound X

Therefore, it must be but-1-ene

yes but its already given you but-2-ene, and THAT is compound X now it's asking you to work out POSITIONAL isomer of compound X (But-2-ene) which can only be But-1-ene because its a 4 carbon molecule! :smile:
Original post by Habib-Reh2
yes but its already given you but-2-ene, and THAT is compound X now it's asking you to work out POSITIONAL isomer of compound X (But-2-ene) which can only be But-1-ene because its a 4 carbon molecule! :smile:

Balance the following equation that shows how butane is used to make the compound called maleic anhydride.
..........CH3CH2CH2CH3 + .......... O2 ..........C2H2(CO)2O + .......... H2O
how would you start balancing
Balance the following equation that shows how butane is used to make the compound called maleic anhydride.

Balance the carbons first, and then the hydrogens and oxygens at the end
i got Ch3Ch2Ch2Ch3 + 3.5O2 = C2H2(CO)2O + 4H20

4 Carbon = Reactants 4 Carbon products
10 Hydrogens Reactants 10 Hydrogen Products
7 O2 Reactants ( 3.5x2) Reactants 7 O2 products ( 4O + 3O) Products
Always check to see if the carbons are balanced then start from there if carbons balanced then look at O2 etc
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply