The Student Room Group

How can I start to enjoy and commit to exercise?

Hi guys, I've always heard that exercise is literally the core of your health, yet I hate it so much.
I used to be very fit in primary school, I would run around 24/7, but when I rolled into secondary school - there was not a big playground to run in, and I eventually got used to just sitting down, working hard, and the sudden thought of exercise just made me shiver.

I want to change that because exercise has so many benefits but I find it so boring and tiring, I don't know what to do. I've tried many clubs but I never stick to it. Let's say it's on a Saturday, yay new club, super hyped! But then the next few weeks I'm just not bothered to roll out of bed and be forced to do something.

Any advice on how to actually start enjoying exercise?
for me I love the therapeutic aspect of excercise. The good feeling you get afterwards, taking a break from life’s bs and the feeling of accomplishment when you do better than you did before. That’s what keeps me going to the gym 6 days a week and sometimes for 2hours (which I am trying to cut down).

Maybe you need to think carefully about what exercise/sports you like. What are your goals? Once you got those 2 down it will be easier to focus and be consistent in the long term.
Reply 2
I'd like to become more flexible and gain some muscles, do you recommend some daily exercises?
Original post by SuperHuman98
for me I love the therapeutic aspect of excercise. The good feeling you get afterwards, taking a break from life’s bs and the feeling of accomplishment when you do better than you did before. That’s what keeps me going to the gym 6 days a week and sometimes for 2hours (which I am trying to cut down).

Maybe you need to think carefully about what exercise/sports you like. What are your goals? Once you got those 2 down it will be easier to focus and be consistent in the long term.
Original post by liaente
I'd like to become more flexible and gain some muscles, do you recommend some daily exercises?

Lots of resources online when it comes to stretching for flexibility

https://youtu.be/VVPyAU4l-sw
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/flexibility/comments/2j8sup/dont_know_where_to_start_click_here/

And for gaining muscle you will need to be eating enough food and following a proper programme that you can stick with in the long term. Loads of beginners programmes you can find online.
Reply 4
I also have a tendency to hate exercise, but my absolute favourite thing to do is horse riding. I haven't been riding much recently due to exams and I have really noticed how my fitness level has dropped. Honestly I would recommend it so much, because not only is the actual riding exercise, but so is the mucking out etc. (and you can be paid to do that 😂). So I guess my no 1 piece of advice is get an active job, as then you won't feel like you're just exercising for the sake of it, you'll actually be getting paid!
Reply 5
Hiya! Thanks so much for the advice :smile: I only horse-red once and it was when I was 7, I absolutely loved it but I don't have much money for it.
Also I'm in London, so I don't think there are stables in a city, so it's much harder :frown:
Original post by Lottile
I also have a tendency to hate exercise, but my absolute favourite thing to do is horse riding. I haven't been riding much recently due to exams and I have really noticed how my fitness level has dropped. Honestly I would recommend it so much, because not only is the actual riding exercise, but so is the mucking out etc. (and you can be paid to do that 😂). So I guess my no 1 piece of advice is get an active job, as then you won't feel like you're just exercising for the sake of it, you'll actually be getting paid!
Listening to music as I exercise gives me a lot of the motivation I need. :smile:
Try lots of things find what you enjoy
The concept of rewarding yourself works for some, it doesn’t for others.

Not necessarily rewarding yourself through snacks that defy the point of the entirety of your workout, but maybe paying for yourself to go to the cinema or something you enjoy when you hit a certain goal, for example monthly?

It’s a hit or miss, some people have the undisciplined attitude of doing that regardless, but I suggest trying it. It also helps to become more appreciative of the littler things and mentally helps you in finding peace in what is usually overseen. It could literally be buying yourself a book, a game, or putting money towards funding a trip/clothes/literally whatever you want.

Sure it’s a money eater, but what isn’t?
Once you get into the routine and thesis of rewarding yourself, you could change the ‘reward’ to something that isn’t costly. Or even if you aren’t able to afford monthly expenses.
Create yourself a spa day, buy some face masks (Poundland sell some good ones ngl) and have the cliche ‘self care’ day.
One thing I actually also suggest is limiting your phone usage, it sounds stupid but you may result to exercise out of boredom. An app I use is called Flora, (they have one called Forest that is the exact same, Idk why) and you can set a timer within the app for x amount of minutes. You can play your playlist beforehand and change songs on your lockscreen, but opening an app/going off the timer will result in it stopping. Basically, you make coins from completing the timer and these can plant real life trees. It definitely takes a while, I’ve been using it for 2 months and have 1300/2500 coins for a tree, but I feel like I am helping myself whilst even slightly contributing to helping the world. It’s real, they have images of their projects and banners and app development with tree planting. You get more coins from unlocking ‘achievements’ from doing x amount of hours in total. Sorry to ramble, but you could also try this app when exercising. This also keeps you more connected with reality and helps you to find a better, mental peace within yourself.
(edited 4 years ago)
Who else came here looking for the answer of that question?
Also, maybe find a gym or club buddy. I bet there’s endless amounts of people in your position, you could probably meet somebody just for that purpose; a good friendship could even spur from it.

Or maybe even try to find a multi activity club?! I’m not sure if that’s a thing, but maybe changing the activity/sport weekly or once a fort night will keep you motivated for a little longer.
Reply 11
This is brilliant advice! Thanks so much, I will definitely do that! I really like the sound of the "Flora" app, I'd love to help plant trees even if it takes a while. No idea how coins = actual planting trees, but hell who cares? :yep:
And I looove the idea of rewarding myself, definitely will do that as well.
Thanks again!
Original post by Georgiax71x
The concept of rewarding yourself works for some, it doesn’t for others.

Not necessarily rewarding yourself through snacks that defy the point of the entirety of your workout, but maybe paying for yourself to go to the cinema or something you enjoy when you hit a certain goal, for example monthly?

It’s a hit or miss, some people have the undisciplined attitude of doing that regardless, but I suggest trying it. It also helps to become more appreciative of the littler things and mentally helps you in finding peace in what is usually overseen. It could literally be buying yourself a book, a game, or putting money towards funding a trip/clothes/literally whatever you want.

Sure it’s a money eater, but what isn’t?
Once you get into the routine and thesis of rewarding yourself, you could change the ‘reward’ to something that isn’t costly. Or even if you aren’t able to afford monthly expenses.
Create yourself a spa day, buy some face masks (Poundland sell some good ones ngl) and have the cliche ‘self care’ day.
One thing I actually also suggest is limiting your phone usage, it sounds stupid but you may result to exercise out of boredom. An app I use is called Flora, (they have one called Forest that is the exact same, Idk why) and you can set a timer within the app for x amount of minutes. You can play your playlist beforehand and change songs on your lockscreen, but opening an app/going off the timer will result in it stopping. Basically, you make coins from completing the timer and these can plant real life trees. It definitely takes a while, I’ve been using it for 2 months and have 1300/2500 coins for a tree, but I feel like I am helping myself whilst even slightly contributing to helping the world. It’s real, they have images of their projects and banners and app development with tree planting. You get more coins from unlocking ‘achievements’ from doing x amount of hours in total. Sorry to ramble, but you could also try this app when exercising. This also keeps you more connected with reality and helps you to find a better, mental peace within yourself.
No problem!! Yeah, I’m not sure how the app developers actually are able to do what they do, but it’s a good motivator. My one is called Forest but my friend downloaded an identical one called Flora.
Awesome!! A lot of people usually get caught up in rewarding themselves with snacks, which you can but in moderation!! Maybe every 2 weeks buy yourself your favourite drink or ice cream, whatever you want. Not after every exercise as some people do though :biggrin:
Original post by liaente
This is brilliant advice! Thanks so much, I will definitely do that! I really like the sound of the "Flora" app, I'd love to help plant trees even if it takes a while. No idea how coins = actual planting trees, but hell who cares? :yep:
And I looove the idea of rewarding myself, definitely will do that as well.
Thanks again!
Reply 13
Haha, agreed!! :tongue:
Best wishes xx
Original post by Georgiax71x
No problem!! Yeah, I’m not sure how the app developers actually are able to do what they do, but it’s a good motivator. My one is called Forest but my friend downloaded an identical one called Flora.
Awesome!! A lot of people usually get caught up in rewarding themselves with snacks, which you can but in moderation!! Maybe every 2 weeks buy yourself your favourite drink or ice cream, whatever you want. Not after every exercise as some people do though :biggrin:
You too!! It’s also important to have belief in yourself and visualise what you want your exercise regime and your outcome to be like!! xx
Original post by liaente
Haha, agreed!! :tongue:
Best wishes xx

Quick Reply

Latest