The Student Room Group

Why was the Privy council important in Elizabethan England?

What factors can use to answer this question. I need at least 3 or 4 please.
Original post by Tigergirl
What factors can use to answer this question. I need at least 3 or 4 please.

https://www.elizabethi.org/contents/power/privycouncil.html

What points have you made so far?
Reply 2
the only point I have is that the privy councillors advised her about decisions I don't really know what to put .. most websites talk about her secretary of state - William Cecil and her spymaster - Walsignham but I wasn't sure if that was relevant to the question
the only point I have is that the privy councillors advised her about decisions I don't really know what to put .. most websites talk about her secretary of state - William Cecil and her spymaster - Walsignham but I wasn't sure if that was relevant to the question

So put yourself in Elizabeths place.

Why might you find it useful to have assemble and talk to a group of the most powerful men in the country?

The focus of the question is important to Elizabeth. Why?
Reply 4
Would it be correct to say that these nobles had more experience than Elizabeth and would guide her in leading the country. Also that they had a lot of power and money and keeping them on her side would reduce the number of rebellions against her?
Thank You by the way.
Original post by 999tigger
So put yourself in Elizabeths place.

Why might you find it useful to have assemble and talk to a group of the most powerful men in the country?

The focus of the question is important to Elizabeth. Why?
Would it be correct to say that these nobles had more experience than Elizabeth and would guide her in leading the country. Also that they had a lot of power and money and keeping them on her side would reduce the number of rebellions against her?
Thank You by the way.

You are getting the idea. Its important you understand the question they are asking as that has the clues as to what they want.

So if I was Elizabeth I might get:

All the powerful men in one place so I can keep an eye on them.
Benefit of their advice because they have more experience and expertise.
Power over those men because I can take their position and influence away. Loss of privilege.
Money or increased loyalty by giving them position.
As you said less intrigue or rebellions.
Help with running aspects of the government.

All these would be beneficial to her. the opposite would hinder her? Common sense if you look at it from Elizabeths view.
Reply 6
This helps. Thank you.

You are getting the idea. Its important you understand the question they are asking as that has the clues as to what they want.

Power over those men because I can take their position and influence away. Loss of privilege.

All these would be beneficial to her. the opposite would hinder her? Common sense if you look at it from Elizabeths view.

Thank you so much, this is super helpful!
:h:
Reply 8
THANK YOU SOOOO MUCHHH. it helped me soo much

Quick Reply

Latest