_Lozzer_
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi guys was just wondering what people put for the starving children question at the end of the aqa paper, everyone seems to have put different things x
Zahard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
After Consulting with a few 'tryhard' biology students the conclusion we came to was for that question: Starving Children have an unbalanced blood glucose concentration which relies on conversion from Stored Fat---->Glucose(Hence why they also weigh less),Therefore removing this option can lead to death as the glucose levels in starving children aren't optimal; this can lead to enzymes not travelling to the target organ quick enough, body temperature not being able to self regulate itself to suit environment(and reaching 37* so enzymes work at optimum etc).Moreover Water and Ion levels in blood aren't controlled anymore ---(link to homeostasis), hence why it can lead to death.Children who have eaten before however have:1----Stable Blood Glucose Level (which doesn't rely on stored fats to be normalized)2----Response System which can detect the change of stimulus and adapt to situation(which is less detectable in starving children because of poor working negative feedback systems) Hence why they'd be fine with it.This may be in some ways inaccurate but it should give you the general image of a 6/6 answer
Last edited by Zahard; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (48)
14.37%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (46)
13.77%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (121)
36.23%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (33)
9.88%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (68)
20.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
5.39%

Watched Threads