The Student Room Group

Will learning a language and coding be possible in pre-uni summer?

I want to learn Introductory Mandarin (which i will be continuing at university) in the summer before i begin uni. I also want to study Python as coding language. Will i be able to achieve this before September? I also need to prepare for my course (history) by reading books from the set list, as well as work and have a social life.

EDIT- Learn Python at an introductory level, not necessarily at a massive proficiency, but enough for it to be seen as a skill.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
What do you mean "achieve" this? You can't "achieve" studying Python or a language, there's proficiency levels to everything.

Now, if you asked, "Will I be able to study and be fluent in both of these in a beginner's level?" Would of made more sense. Also, the answer always depends on how much ime and effort you put in.
Original post by Xarao
What do you mean "achieve" this? You can't "achieve" studying Python or a language, there's proficiency levels to everything.

Now, if you asked, "Will I be able to study and be fluent in both of these in a beginner's level?" Would of made more sense. Also, the answer always depends on how much ime and effort you put in.

Sorry yes this is what I meant, ive edited the post due to this :smile:

could you recommend any good chinese learning apps? or introductory Python courses?
Reply 3
Original post by Lukeodonnell24
I want to learn Introductory Mandarin (which i will be continuing at university) in the summer before i begin uni. I also want to study Python as coding language. Will i be able to achieve this before September? I also need to prepare for my course (history) by reading books from the set list, as well as work and have a social life.

EDIT- Learn Python at an introductory level, not necessarily at a massive proficiency, but enough for it to be seen as a skill.

You won't be able to learn it to the point where it is a 'skill' but will at least cover the basics. Reading from books won't be efficient, so focus more on practical applications such as talking to someone in Mandarin and having them correct you, and also doing your own projects with python. You should also expect to continue doing these a year after starting it, otherwise you'll end up forgetting what you learnt and it'd mean you've wasted time and effort to start it. There is no point in learning those if you're not interested in using them in the future. Udemy has some excellent introductory python and mandarin courses. You could also try code academy.

Quick Reply