The Student Room Group

My mum self harms when we argue. Help. please

I am a stressed medical student and I have no social life. I study in a russel group uni down south. The pressure is high.
I have a single mother who has struggled to raise me all her life on her own. i live at home and always have because she would be alone otherwise and i am poor.
We have a great relationship.
Recently things have changed at home.
Finance is a huge problem. Some big changes happening and she cant work due to illness.
She is stressed. Its the summer holidays. we argue all the time. we are both worried about or own things and we also argue with eachother because we are at home all day with no outside activities. i cannot afford to go out and be social and spend time with friends (i have none). she is the same.
I am going mad. she goes crazy at me over small things. partly menopause. partly we just argue and get irritated.
sometimes its my fault.
she reacts by self harming in front of me.
she picked an iron once and hit it on her head. often she hits her head against a wall many times to make me stop and feel guilty.
sometimes she slaps her face 20 times in a row to let me know its my fault.
other time she wants to throw herself into sharp furniture just anything.
she has loong standing depressing, social anxiety, ptsd.
i am going crazy.
i hate myself. i hate being home. i am compensating by spending all day at uni to the point of burn out. i am a high achiever, aiming for a top surgical speciality. maybe its to numb from the isolation, the pain.
everything. she has outbursts of anger, i can be very rude to her too.
but her reaction is exaggerated, she self harms.
i feel so guilty.
i am going crazy.
please help me i dont know how to escape from this unhealthy routine

she is also strict and i have no money and i let her use all my student finance to pay rent and food etc
ive never really had friends and never leave the house

help me
today was a really bad day
she slapped herself a lot and said i ruined her life by arguing with her over nothing
there is no one at home and no family in the country
Have you thought of doing part time?
Maybe go to see GP be honest and explain your problems and feelings and ask what to do? Maybe they could get her some help?
Or you some help? It might be nice to talk with someone so you can share your feelings and how you can manage this situation?
Original post by Anonymous
Maybe go to see GP be honest and explain your problems and feelings and ask what to do? Maybe they could get her some help?
I think you should tell someone older than you, maybe at your Uni- someone you can at least trust.

If not that, try see what medical advice the GP gives. This is not really healthy for you or your mother.

Quick Reply

Latest