Kubsyy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good morning/afternoon/evening everyone!.

This thread is for people sitting nat 5 Biology this year.

Feel free to ask questions about biology ie: Food webs, cells, evolution etc.
StudentForSQA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just a question. I am gonna sit the National Five Biology exam in 2020 May, but there was a question in this years paper that was what effect does a mutation (change in the chemical Structure of a Gene or Chromosome) have on a living organism? Options: I - It has no effect. II - It has a disadvantageous effect. III - It has an advantageous effect. The correct answer would be II and III I would be assuming as Mutations do have an effect as they change the structure of the chromosome. It can have a Neutral effect meaning it does have an effect, but it is not advantageous or harmful to the living organism. Am I correct or am I making a mistake somewhere? Just asking .
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by StudentForSQA)
Just a question. I am gonna sit the National Five Biology exam in 2020 May, but there was a question in this years paper that was what effect does a mutation (change in the chemical Structure of a Gene or Chromosome) have on a living organism? Options: I - It has no effect. II - It has a disadvantageous effect. III - It has an advantageous effect. The correct answer would be II and III I would be assuming as Mutations do have an effect as they change the structure of the chromosome. It can have a Neutral effect meaning it does have an effect, but it is not advantageous or harmful to the living organism. Am I correct or am I making a mistake somewhere? Just asking .
The answer would be 1, 2 and 3, as the question is asking about the effect it has on the organism, not specifically the chromosome, and those effects can confer an advantage, a disadvantage, or an effect that is neither an advantage or a disadvantage (neutral). Hope this helps
StudentForSQA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. I did get confused but I’m starting to understand now.
(Original post by Labrador99)
The answer would be 1, 2 and 3, as the question is asking about the effect it has on the organism, not specifically the chromosome, and those effects can confer an advantage, a disadvantage, or an effect that is neither an advantage or a disadvantage (neutral). Hope this helps
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. I did get confused but I’m starting to understand now.
No problem...I didn't quite fully clarify this bit before, but when it's a neutral mutation, the mutation itself has still happened- it just means it gives the organism neither a selective advantage or disadvantage
StudentForSQA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah thanks. I think it was just the wording of the question and the option of having no effect like I didn’t understand in what way they meant no effect. I understand now thanks for your help .
(Original post by Labrador99)
No problem...I didn't quite fully clarify this bit before, but when it's a neutral mutation, the mutation itself has still happened- it just means it gives the organism neither a selective advantage or disadvantage
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah thanks. I think it was just the wording of the question and the option of having no effect like I didn’t understand in what way they meant no effect. I understand now thanks for your help .
Yeah, the wording for biology can sometimes be really specific or tricky- something to watch out for, and also something that gets better with practice
StudentForSQA
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
So for the Nat five Biology 2016 paper for question 2a (II) in section 2 about the milk I would of wrote that the Enzyme would become denatured meaning it’s active site would have changed shape permanently. This is due to it being above the optimum temperature (37 degrees Celsius). It says in the marking scheme ‘Not acceptable: explanation reference to being above optimum or above 37 degrees Celsius’, would of I got the mark?
sixthyearstudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I sat the N5 biology exam last year so best of luck to you all sitting this year!
Oofffffff
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Doing the biology National 5 prelim and I’m not prepared at all, I’m revising for all my subjects but for biology i rlly don’t want to, the subject is my worst subject I have no clue why I picked it! But I also don’t wanna fail, I just find biology this year very hard and what’s the best way for me to revise for biology?? All I do is memorising because I don’t understand most of it (cell biology to be specific) pls tell me your revision methods, it would help a lot! So how do u revise????? I write notes + memorise
Lilyeve1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Oofffffff)
Doing the biology National 5 prelim and I’m not prepared at all, I’m revising for all my subjects but for biology i rlly don’t want to, the subject is my worst subject I have no clue why I picked it! But I also don’t wanna fail, I just find biology this year very hard and what’s the best way for me to revise for biology?? All I do is memorising because I don’t understand most of it (cell biology to be specific) pls tell me your revision methods, it would help a lot! So how do u revise????? I write notes + memorise
hi, I had my prelim in November. what I did was
• Buy the how to pass guide, I found it helpful
•use quizlet as tjere is packs of each unit. of you searchy user name and go into the folder you will find them (@lilyeve17)
•i made posters for lots of things eg. respiration, photosynthesis
•mindmaps for each sub topics ( that I struggle with)
•past paper questions

hope this helps you.
Oofffffff
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Lilyeve1)
hi, I had my prelim in November. what I did was
• Buy the how to pass guide, I found it helpful
•use quizlet as tjere is packs of each unit. of you searchy user name and go into the folder you will find them (@lilyeve17)
•i made posters for lots of things eg. respiration, photosynthesis
•mindmaps for each sub topics ( that I struggle with)
•past paper questions

hope this helps you.
Thanks a lot! The past paper questions are very hard for me but I’ll try!
Lilyeve1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
[QUOTE=Oofffffff;86645000]Thanks a lot! The past paper questions are very hard for me but I’ll try![/QUOTES
try doing one, then marking it.
mspratt1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
So for the Nat five Biology 2016 paper for question 2a (II) in section 2 about the milk I would of wrote that the Enzyme would become denatured meaning it’s active site would have changed shape permanently. This is due to it being above the optimum temperature (37 degrees Celsius). It says in the marking scheme ‘Not acceptable: explanation reference to being above optimum or above 37 degrees Celsius’, would of I got the mark?
I did that past paper as practice including that question, you wouldn’t have got the mark as it doesn’t tell you the temperature of the water running over the lactase enzyme so you can’t assume it’s above 37°C.
thatone_hollie
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Can anyone please give me the definition of indicator species?
Labrador99
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by thatone_hollie)
Can anyone please give me the definition of indicator species?
Indicator species are species that by their presence or absence indicate environmental quality/levels of pollution. [Source: SQA course specification]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (39)
8.14%
Confident (65)
13.57%
Indifferent (67)
13.99%
Unsure (119)
24.84%
Worried (189)
39.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise