arunningcat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Is it possible to move between primary and secondary teaching?

I used to volunteer with children and I feel like I may prefer working with that age group (I am not totally sure), but with my degrees and the grades I achieved I would be offered a £28,000 scholarship to do a secondary PGCE and it would be too much to turn down.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by arunningcat)

I used to volunteer with children and I feel like I may prefer working with that age group (I am not totally sure), but with my degrees and the grades I achieved I would be offered a £28,000 scholarship to do a secondary PGCE and it would be too much to turn down.
if you wanted to move you'd probably need a primary pgce too but you wouldn't get it funded
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Never go for a PGCE just because of the scholarship. PGCE's are very intense courses and to get through them you have to be 100% committed. If you aren't totally sure the best thing to do is get experience in both primary and secondary schools and then make a decision.
airfixfighter
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I've been told I can teach Primary with my secondary PGCE but the Primary can't teach secondary.

BUT, why would a school want to hire an NQT with a secondary PGCE over one with a Primary? I'd imagine people making the jump get experience in Primary before moving. I wouldn't do secondary if I didn't want to. It's very hard. I teach a core subject (science), and the kids can be really despondent and disruptive at GCSE doing a subject they don't want. Obviously, they're in the minority, but it can be off-putting - I can't imagine dealing with it if I wasn't "feeling" teaching at secondary.
bwilliams
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by airfixfighter)
I've been told I can teach Primary with my secondary PGCE but the Primary can't teach secondary.

BUT, why would a school want to hire an NQT with a secondary PGCE over one with a Primary? I'd imagine people making the jump get experience in Primary before moving. I wouldn't do secondary if I didn't want to. It's very hard. I teach a core subject (science), and the kids can be really despondent and disruptive at GCSE doing a subject they don't want. Obviously, they're in the minority, but it can be off-putting - I can't imagine dealing with it if I wasn't "feeling" teaching at secondary.
You can move from Primary to secondary with a Primary PGCE and from secondary to primary with a secondary PGCE. Works both ways. However, as you say with moving either way you must get experience through supply before you make the move otherwise you will crash and burn at interview.
username4658476
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

If you have QTS, you are qualified to teach in all schools. You technically do not need a PGCE to teach in schools. The PGCE is only really useful if you plan to go abroad and teach. QTS is enough to teach in England.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PhylaVell)
If you have QTS, you are qualified to teach in all schools. You technically do not need a PGCE to teach in schools. The PGCE is only really useful if you plan to go abroad and teach. QTS is enough to teach in England.
That's not great advice - it is far better career-wise to have a PGCE.
username4658476
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
That's not great advice - it is far better career-wise to have a PGCE.
It is not better career-wise. It's only a good option if you plan to teach in Scotland, abroad or plan to do a Masters in Education.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is not better career-wise. It's only a good option if you plan to teach in Scotland, abroad or plan to do a Masters in Education.
Wrong - we rarely employ anyone without a PGCE - we've learnt by experience that those who are serious about teaching take one.
bwilliams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You would struggle getting a job without a PGCE or BEd.
username4658476
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wrong - we rarely employ anyone without a PGCE - we've learnt by experience that those who are serious about teaching take one.
I have a PGCE without QTS and have struggled to get a job in comparison to those who only have QTS.
username4658476
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bwilliams)
You would struggle getting a job without a PGCE or BEd.
There is more job security doing a School Direct QTS only route as you are guaranteed a job at the end, compared to PGCE trainees who may or may not be offered a job at their placement school.
bwilliams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a PGCE without QTS and have struggled to get a job in comparison to those who only have QTS.
PGCE without QTS? How did you manage that? What is your PGCE in?

If you have a PGCE with QTS and are struggling to get a job over those who only have QTS, you're doing something wrong.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is more job security doing a School Direct QTS only route as you are guaranteed a job at the end, compared to PGCE trainees who may or may not be offered a job at their placement school.
School Direct!! That is so variable in quality and, in my opinion, is not a good choice. You are tied to a school and it's hard to move on. We've found that those teachers tend not to be so good as their experience is so limited.
bwilliams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This statistic is completely untrue - there are always many more people qualifying through PGCE than School Direct so how can you compare the two?
username4658476
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by bwilliams)
PGCE without QTS? How did you manage that? What is your PGCE in?

If you have a PGCE with QTS and are struggling to get a job over those who only have QTS, you're doing something wrong.
It's not necessarily that I am doing something wrong. Competition is tough everywhere, especially with cuts. If you are teaching in a subject where there are loads of teachers who have trained to teach that subject, e.g. English, History, and other humanities, the competition is going to be tough.
username4658476
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
School Direct!! That is so variable in quality and, in my opinion, is not a good choice. You are tied to a school and it's hard to move on. We've found that those teachers tend not to be so good as their experience is so limited.
But at least there is job security at the end of it. NQT positions are very difficult to get.
bwilliams
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Agreed - School direct graduates tend to have a very narrow-minded view of teaching due to only training within their selected school.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
But at least there is job security at the end of it. NQT positions are very difficult to get.
No they are not in many subjects - are you talking Primary or Secondary? If the latter which subject? Just look at TES - loads of vacancies!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
13.55%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.16%
I need help with filling out the application form (8)
5.16%
I need help with my personal statement (66)
42.58%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (37)
23.87%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.94%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (12)
7.74%

Watched Threads