Getting kicked out of Cambridge Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m in my second year at Cambridge. I worked so hard this year but my exams have gone to absolute sh*t. I don’t know what it is. I do well in my supervision essays and the timed essays I did during revision were all fine. I knew the content really well too.

Before exams I just get so anxious. This year, my anxiety was really bad and as a result I ruined my exams. I just missed questions which I could have answered really well and misconstrued questions in ways which meant my essays were irrelevant to the question set.

It sounds ridiculous, I know. I realise people are going to say things like “just read the questions again” or “take your time choosing a question” but I did do these things and somehow still messed up. I can’t explain what comes over me in these situations. It’s like my brain just sabotages itself and no matter what measures I take or how hard I try to be careful things go wrong.

I’m certain that I have spectacularly failed at least two papers (out of five) and I doubt the others have been good enough to pull my average up over 40%. I only have one more exam left but I have a bad feeling about it.

There are no resits here. If you fail you are out. I don’t know what to do. I’ve wasted two years of my life. I guess I just want advice on where to go from here.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wait for your results. 40% is not a lot there's a good chance that even if you spectacularly screwed up you would still pass. Don't panic until it's happened.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by doodle_333)
Wait for your results. 40% is not a lot there's a good chance that even if you spectacularly screwed up you would still pass. Don't panic until it's happened.
Thank you. Thing is, even if I do just scrape through, there’s a good chance they will kick me out anyway for getting a third. I won’t have my results until the 24th of June and I’m concerned that by then it could be too late to transfer to another uni.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by HamzaD)
stop lying rat
About what?
Fsofoxy
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is there someone you can speak to about it like teacher wise I’m only in college so I’m not sure what support is offered at uni but like do you have a head of hall or someone you can make aware of your anxiety issues. They should/ would hopefully give you the benefit of the doubt considering that you do well in other exams and will know it’s not like you to perform badly. Hope this helps and I hope everything goes well for you
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m in my second year at Cambridge. I worked so hard this year but my exams have gone to absolute sh*t. I don’t know what it is. I do well in my supervision essays and the timed essays I did during revision were all fine. I knew the content really well too.

Before exams I just get so anxious. This year, my anxiety was really bad and as a result I ruined my exams. I just missed questions which I could have answered really well and misconstrued questions in ways which meant my essays were irrelevant to the question set.

It sounds ridiculous, I know. I realise people are going to say things like “just read the questions again” or “take your time choosing a question” but I did do these things and somehow still messed up. I can’t explain what comes over me in these situations. It’s like my brain just sabotages itself and no matter what measures I take or how hard I try to be careful things go wrong.

I’m certain that I have spectacularly failed at least two papers (out of five) and I doubt the others have been good enough to pull my average up over 40%. I only have one more exam left but I have a bad feeling about it.

There are no resits here. If you fail you are out. I don’t know what to do. I’ve wasted two years of my life. I guess I just want advice on where to go from here.
You can't be that bad at exams. You must have done extremely well at GCSE and A-level to get into Cambridge, and (if taken) your first year exams there.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fsofoxy)
Is there someone you can speak to about it like teacher wise I’m only in college so I’m not sure what support is offered at uni but like do you have a head of hall or someone you can make aware of your anxiety issues. They should/ would hopefully give you the benefit of the doubt considering that you do well in other exams and will know it’s not like you to perform badly. Hope this helps and I hope everything goes well for you
Thank you but I’m not diagnosed with anything and it’s too late anyhow. They clearly say that if you inform them of mental health issues after exams then they can’t take those into consideration if you fail. I can talk to my tutor or director of studies but there’s not really anything that they will be able to do to help.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by ageshallnot)
You can't be that bad at exams. You must have done extremely well at GCSE and A-level to get into Cambridge, and (if taken) your first year exams there.
I did. And I also did well last year. I don’t know what has happened to me this year - I fell apart in my exams. I’m an anxious person in general but it’s never been this bad for me before and I found myself unable to cope.
Fsofoxy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you but I’m not diagnosed with anything and it’s too late anyhow. They clearly say that if you inform them of mental health issues after exams then they can’t take those into consideration if you fail. I can talk to my tutor or director of studies but there’s not really anything that they will be able to do to help.
What are you studying? Also you have one exam paper left you should try and do as much revision as possible. Do you maybe get anxious about being in exam halls ? Would being in a different room help with the stress? The best thing you can do now is honestly try your best this last paper I know it’s easier said than done but maybe you could revise with someone ?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HamzaD)
stop lying rat
You are way out of order. be constructive or off and go away.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Fsofoxy)
What are you studying? Also you have one exam paper left you should try and do as much revision as possible. Do you maybe get anxious about being in exam halls ? Would being in a different room help with the stress? The best thing you can do now is honestly try your best this last paper I know it’s easier said than done but maybe you could revise with someone ?
Thank you. It’s philosophy. I’m revising as much as I can but my last exam is the area I’m weakest in so I don’t feel confident. The exam hall adds to the pressure and I do wonder if I’d feel better in a different room but it’s too late to arrange that now. I think it’s mostly just the knowledge that it’s an exam which gets to me anyway. I could revise with others but I tend to be more focused on my own so I’m doing that for the moment.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Thank you. It’s philosophy. I’m revising as much as I can but my last exam is the area I’m weakest in so I don’t feel confident. The exam hall adds to the pressure and I do wonder if I’d feel better in a different room but it’s too late to arrange that now. I think it’s mostly just the knowledge that it’s an exam which gets to me anyway. I could revise with others but I tend to be more focused on my own so I’m doing that for the moment.
Throw everything into this last exam. Try to empty your mind of what could have been or what has happened, and finish strong. If you feel you've already lost, well then, go in with the attitude you have nothing more to lose, and let's see how you do in an exam with that reduced pressure. But work your socks of prior.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Yeah, I'm in a similar position.
My uni is in the top 5 as well, and I already failed last year due to being depressed about life (Not diagnosed or anything as I don't like using things like that for reasons of failure).
This year, I revised, and got really anxious during exams due to all the pressure from family/friends etc., and two of them didn't go as well as I had hoped with one where I only answered around 2 parts of a question correctly and did working out for a few others. I've also got one more left this week.
Also, I need to pass all my modules in order to move on to the next year.

I think the best thing is to just wait and see what happens on the day the results come out, hope for the best, and try your best for the last exam.
I'll also have wasted two years if I don't make it, so I think either I may just work hard for a few months and get a job at a company (hopefully Google or another big one), or find another university which will accept me, as painful as it may be. You may be able to talk to a teacher and ask for resits because of your condition or a year out. Other than that, I think it'll be better to not stress as that makes the anxiety worse.
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
My uni is in the top 5 as well, and I already failed last year due to being depressed about life (Not diagnosed or anything as I don't like using things like that for reasons of failure).
This year, I revised, and got really anxious during exams due to all the pressure from family/friends etc., and two of them didn't go as well as I had hoped with one where I think I only answered around 2 parts of a question correctly and did working out for a few others. I've also got one more left this week.

I think the best thing is to just wait and see what happens on the day the results come out, hope for the best, and try your best for the last exam.
I'll also have wasted two years if I don't make it, so I think either I may just work hard for a few months and get a job at a company (hopefully Google or another big one), or find another university which will accept me, as painful as it may be. You may be able to talk to a teacher and ask for resits because of your condition or a year out. Other than that, I think it'll be better to not stress as that makes the anxiety worse.
Edited
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I did. And I also did well last year. I don’t know what has happened to me this year - I fell apart in my exams. I’m an anxious person in general but it’s never been this bad for me before and I found myself unable to cope.
Did you have these same feelings last year?
Snewt88
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wishing you lots of luck!
Lauren Galbraith
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could you ask student services for extra time in exams, next time
Anonymous #1
Throw everything into this last exam. Try to empty your mind of what could have been or what has happened, and finish strong. If you feel you've already lost, well then, go in with the attitude you have nothing more to lose, and let's see how you do in an exam with that reduced pressure. But work your socks of prior.
Thank you. I’ll do my best. I’ll be going on with the attitude that I’ve probably already failed so maybe that will take some of the pressure off, like you said.

This year, I revised, and got really anxious during exams due to all the pressure from family/friends etc., and two of them didn't go as well as I had hoped with one where I only answered around 2 parts of a question correctly and did working out for a few others. I've also got one more left this week.

I’m so sorry you’re in the same position. It really sucks doesn’t it? I’m hoping that if I do fail I can find somewhere else that will have me in their second year. Or maybe I will do the Open University. Unfortunately there are literally never resits here under any circumstances. They are super strict about it. It’s weird because even Oxford has resits. Good luck, I hope things go better for you than they have gone for me.

(Original post by ageshallnot)
Did you have these same feelings last year?
Last year I was happy with how I did coming out of the exams. So, I think ,y assessment this year is unfortunately also pretty accurate.

(Original post by Snewt88)
Wishing you lots of luck!
Thank you, that’s really kind of you.
(Original post by Lauren Galbraith)
Could you ask student services for extra time in exams, next time
Not sure there will be a next time but I don’t think I’d qualify for extra time anyway. I actually don’t know anyone who gets extra time so I think they only give it out under exceptional circumstances.
Fsofoxy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wishing you the best honestly hope everything turns out well in the end
ageshallnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not sure there will be a next time but I don’t think I’d qualify for extra time anyway. I actually don’t know anyone who gets extra time so I think they only give it out under exceptional circumstances.
I seem to recall a Cambridge philosophy student last summer who thought he had failed yet in the end achieved a first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (306)
15.16%
The paper was reasonable (1112)
55.08%
Not feeling great about that exam... (441)
21.84%
It was TERRIBLE (160)
7.92%

Watched Threads