I fainted whilst cycling Watch

Steve445
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I only cycled nearly about 2 miles. I'm so worried! Why did I faint?
I think I didn't drink any water as to why I fainted because I got better when I drank water.
Hazzabear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It might be best to check with your GP if you're worried, have an appointment with them. It could be electrolyte levels/dehydration etc. Hope you're alright
jackbus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ride my bike for over a hundred miles a week. You shouldn't need to drink over 2 miles unless you were already seriously dehydrated. I would probably link this to dehydration in general or maybe overheating due to inappropriate clothing.
Maximus 190
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you do high intensity exercise frequently?
I’m not a doctor, but what I’ve noticed is if I have been sitting around for a long time and then suddenly do high intensity exercise such as going on the rowing machine I get super dizzy after a little while.
You should start of by warming up, walk around for a bit and if you’re cycling just slowly cycle on a low gear. After maybe 10 minutes of low intensity cycling to warm up then start.
A better way is to actually to do proper warmups, dynamic stretches etc. That always makes me ready for exercise.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It won't have anything to do with the actual cycling unless you were doing hill sprints or something as 2 miles cycling simply isn't enough to get you low in food water energy etc. Just try and keep hydrated and eat regularly and see your gpif you are worried or experience anything else.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd ask a GP about that.
Etomidate
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As above. A young person fainting associated with exercise needs to be seen by a GP to have a few simple checks.
-Eirlys-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Steve445)
I think I didn't drink any water as to why I fainted because I got better when I drank water.
If you're warm and you're dehydrated with low blood sugar/salt levels, then that can lead to fainting. Make sure you have some food and plenty of water next time you exercise.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Obviously the best thing to do would be to see your GP if you ever faint and you're not sure why. But for me, I get low iron a lot, and it's always a sign to me when I start to get lightheaded as I'm standing, or if I stand up for a long time, or during exercise - when my iron is dropping again I know that's a sign I need to get back on the meds, and it always get better. But don't self-diagnose these things. Just saying it might not be anything serious, that's all.
Cuddly Lizard
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Steve445)
I'd reckon you were too hot and too dehydrated without knowing and couldn't sweat and passed from heat stroke. I doubt it though, because 2 miles is a short distance. Unless you were sprinting up hills or were severely dehydrated it's probably something else. Maybe see your GP, literally every gym up and down the country will always tell you to see your GP before starting an exercise regimen. If this is the first time you've cycled and you aren't in shape, that's probably why. You might also have some old eBay racing bicycle with gears not suited for usage anywhere other than a completely flat smooth race track with no incline. It's hard to say what the problem is without knowing more.
TL;DR:
Either heat stroke or you went from a completely sedentary lifestyle to difficult exercise and your body had no time to adjust.
Last edited by Cuddly Lizard; 1 week ago
Maximus 190
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
After a quick search of what I have. It sounds like I have POTS. When I stand up after lying down, sometimes I feel super dizzy. I also noticed myself that I need to warm up and hydrate before exercise or I feel faint. If you’re similar you probably have POTS too.

Read this article https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/healt...d-quickly/amp/
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Hazzabear
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's best to get it checked out by the doctors (GP), pots can be intertwined to other conditions too for example eds (*sometimes*). Or it could just be on those days when they felt dizzy their blood sugars are low and/or dehydrated. Google isn't always the best way to self diagnose someone. POTS symptoms are usually consistent, not just now and then
(Original post by Maximus 190)
After a quick search of what I have. It sounds like I have POTS. When I stand up after lying down, sometimes I feel super dizzy. I also noticed myself that I need to warm up and hydrate before exercise or I feel faint. If you’re similar you probably have POTS too.

Last edited by Hazzabear; 1 week ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maximus 190)

The number of people who think they have POTS >>>>>> the number of people who actually have POTS, and your symptoms barely sound like POTS anyway. I really wouldn't diagnose yourself with that without a doctor's involvement, let alone the OP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (316)
15.3%
The paper was reasonable (1132)
54.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (453)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (165)
7.99%

Watched Threads