The Student Room Group

I have £84,000 in the stock market, AMA.

I haven't done this in a while, ask me anything on the stock market/ investing/ finance.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maachu_pichuu
I haven't done this in a while, ask me anything on the stock market/ investing/ finance.

Do you live in a large, fancy detatched house?
Original post by Unexpectedly
Do you live in a large, fancy detatched house?

No, semi-detached. I don't really spend money, hence the savings.
No, semi-detached. I don't really spend money, hence the savings.

But let's say for example you end up with a huge windfall as a result of returns from your investments, would you buy a detatched house?
How long did it take you to accumulate that much? And how long have you been in this market?
But let's say for example you end up with a huge windfall as a result of returns from your investments, would you buy a detatched house?

No, the best way to compound money is to reinvest earnings (whether from dividends or capital gains). I'm happy with what I have materially, just trying to compound money as fast as I physically can. Target for this year is £100,000.
Original post by euphoricat
How long did it take you to accumulate that much? And how long have you been in this market?

Been investing since 2015
Been investing since 2015

How old are you? Which uni did you go to and what course did you study?
No, the best way to compound money is to reinvest earnings (whether from dividends or capital gains). I'm happy with what I have materially, just trying to compound money as fast as I physically can. Target for this year is £100,000.

Best of luck for you then for your future investments. :h:
Original post by euphoricat
How old are you? What did you study in university?

26, doing a PhD in finance.
Best of luck for you then for your future investments. :h:

Thank you, betting big on Apple, Square and Visa!
How much would you say is enough to start investing? Will be going into 3rd year of uni soon and sat on thousands in the bank I should probably invest.
Advice on investing in companies that are just starting up. Do you have any idea if they will fail or not? How do you go about making earnings on the market?
Original post by jackbus
How much would you say is enough to start investing? Will be going into 3rd year of uni soon and sat on thousands in the bank I should probably invest.

Anything is good. £1000 in the bank is good at your age, it's more than what most have! I would take the £1000 and put it in an index fund such as the S&P 500 if you don't know much about finance. Keep adding to this fund and your money will grow with america. If you want to learn finance, you can stock pick, but it is much harder and requires reading financial statements, understanding market psychology and a higher risk tolerance.
What got you interested in finance and how did you first start things off?
Anything is good. £1000 in the bank is good at your age, it's more than what most have! I would take the £1000 and put it in an index fund such as the S&P 500 if you don't know much about finance. Keep adding to this fund and your money will grow with america. If you want to learn finance, you can stock pick, but it is much harder and requires reading financial statements, understanding market psychology and a higher risk tolerance.

Yeah I understand finance, study accounting and finance. I've just built up thousands in past 2 years from working so much so not had time to manage my finances. What resources do you recommend find financial resources vary so much in quality and usefulness.
Got any insider trades for me? Is bitcoin a bubble? (Jk).

How long did you practice at trading before you put considerable money into it. How did you learn? If you were to learn again; how would you do it?
Original post by ThunderBeard
Advice on investing in companies that are just starting up. Do you have any idea if they will fail or not? How do you go about making earnings on the market?

You can make money via capital gains (stock price or bond price appreciation) or income (via dividends or bond coupons). Start ups are very risky since most of them have unproven management and no earnings, we value companies based on the cashflows they will generate in the future in relation to the interest rate you get in your bank account (risk-free rate). If something doesn't make money now, we can lose our shirt in our investment if it doesn't ever in the future. But if you can predict the Amazon of the future, you will die a rich man.
Do you know of any alternatives to Robinhood that work in the UK? Want to try get into investing but don't want to start using real money straight away
Original post by FlawlessChicken
What got you interested in finance and how did you first start things off?

I did a masters in finance and found warren buffett on YouTube. Then I got observed with the guy and how he compounded money at 24% for the last 50 years. My first stock bought was Starbucks in 2015, I still hold it today and I don't plan to sell ever. When holding exceptional companies, my favourite holding period is forever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending