The Student Room Group

I have £84,000 in the stock market, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe10792
How did you learn how to invest

1) Masters in Finance
2) Warren Buffett Videos
3) Reading: The Intelligent Investor, The Most Important Thing etc
Original post by Joe10792
How did you learn how to invest

Videos like these.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-vQGxTFfPU&t=950s
hey guys! have any of you heard of the site etoro? would anyone recommend this for a newbie like me? thoughts??
Reply 183
What type of ISA? Though the max was 20k
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Depends on your level of knowledge, for beginners probably an index fund. Though personally (even as a beginner), I would be happy owning Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, Visa and Mastercard.

Keep everything in an ISA, so HMRC don't rob you.
I wouldn't use it. They have high fees and spreads. $25 Just to withdraw!
Original post by LillyAllen
hey guys! have any of you heard of the site etoro? would anyone recommend this for a newbie like me? thoughts??
Original post by Bsola

£20k is the maximum annual allowance of what you can put in. You can put in another £20k the following year, and the year after that etc.. The growth of that money also remains under the ISA wrapper.
Is dropping tens of thousands into the stock market a bad idea for a first time 'investor'?
Or is it a better idea to do a couple of hundred and slowly increase the amount you put into stocks?

Use Freetrade to invest.
Original post by thatsthatthen
Is dropping tens of thousands into the stock market a bad idea for a first time 'investor'?
Or is it a better idea to do a couple of hundred and slowly increase the amount you put into stocks?

Put it in gradually
Original post by Bsola

Stocks and Shares ISA, max is 20k right now, but may change in the future.
Reply 190
I haven't done this in a while, ask me anything on the stock market/ investing/ finance.

Whats your yield?
Original post by Quady
Whats your yield?

Do you mean yield on dividends? It's pretty low, since most of my stocks don't pay a dividend or only pay a small dividend. It's probably around 2% I think.

You need to choose your trading platform carefully as there is a great deal of variation in fees and running charges. Different platforms suit different investors depending on the amount they are investing and how often they trade.

Not paying careful attention to fees and taxes is probably the main reason why the majority of retail investors lose money.

You need to choose your trading platform carefully as there is a great deal of variation in fees and running charges. Different platforms suit different investors depending on the amount they are investing and how often they trade.

Not paying careful attention to fees and taxes is probably the main reason why the majority of retail investors lose money.
Original post by Etomidate

Good point, but I feel the most money is lost when retail investors buy poor companies in good economic times. Then their capital is destroyed and they panic sell out at the bottom.

Freetrade is still by far the cheapest right now in the UK.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by SchmuckOff
Are you white?

yeah
Heya,

I'm currently 17 and unable to open a brokers account. I'm planning to set up a custodial account and was wondering if you could recommend an organisation that provides the best opportunities for someone investing long term with quite a limited starting sum (around 2k)
Good point, but I feel the most money is lost when retail investors buy poor companies in good economic times. Then their capital is destroyed and they panic sell out at the bottom.

Freetrade is still by far the cheapest right now in the UK.
Don't, it's not an investment. Think of stocks instead and think of them as businesses. Think what are you buying and if the price is fair for the cash they may generate in the future.

worst advice ever
Original post by alanmokrousov
Heya,

I'm currently 17 and unable to open a brokers account. I'm planning to set up a custodial account and was wondering if you could recommend an organisation that provides the best opportunities for someone investing long term with quite a limited starting sum (around 2k)

I would not recommend investing under 18, the legal implications are complicated. Your parents can open a Junior ISA with any UK broker, but they are custodians of the money. Wait till 18 and then open an account with someone like Freetrade.
Original post by jimmy432
worst advice ever

Lol.

1. Think of stocks as businesses
2. Buy within your circle of competence
3. Buy within a margin of safety for future cash flows

That advice made one man from omaha, nebraska $90 billion over his lifetime.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending