The Student Room Group

I have £84,000 in the stock market, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SchmuckOff
ngl , I'm 16 and I made 6.5% last year so....
Most people can beat inflation :biggrin:
But I'm also quite lucky.

Your year-on-year return means nothing. Wait until you have 10 years consistently beating the indexes, then brag.
Not really a flex buddy. But sure , I'll report back to you in 10 years.
Original post by DarthRoar
Your year-on-year return means nothing. Wait until you have 10 years consistently beating the indexes, then brag.
Reply 82
Original post by Unexpectedly
Do you live in a large, fancy detatched house?

I live in a large, fancy detatched house AMA
Are you white?
Original post by Jono*
I live in a large, fancy detatched house AMA
Original post by mnot
Yea OP did this exact same AMA 6 months ago i think, and i got the same impression, didn't seem as aware as i would expect someone who is completing a finance doctoral studentship to have...
+ having 84k means nothing its small potatoes for normal market movers

What do you have in the stock market?
Do you think that's a lot of money?
Original post by Palmyra
Do you think that's a lot of money?

Yes I do, most people don't have 84k in their bank account. I am physically holding more disposable cash than most 50 year olds and I am 26. Granted this is a game I am playing and the money is going to be used to compound wealth, rather than being wasted on material objects. This is why the general population is poor, they use money as a means of consumption, I use money as means of pulling more money. My intentions are to gain financial independence and then dump whatever I make in my lifetime to family and charity.
Do you think the woodford equity income fund will bounce back?
Original post by Orange s0da
Do you think the woodford equity income fund will bounce back?

No, the guy is cursed. He is holding a lot of illiquid assets and there is a run on his fund. He is finished in the investment world.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by maachu_pichuu
Yes I do, most people don't have 84k in their bank account. I am physically holding more disposable cash than most 50 year olds and I am 26. Granted this is a game I am playing and the money is going to be used to compound wealth, rather than being wasted on material objects. This is why the general population is poor, they use money as a means of consumption, I use money as means of pulling more money. My intentions are to gain financial independence and then dump whatever I make in my lifetime to family and charity.

At 26 that is decent, but do you think you could be 25 years down the line wishing you didn't live in borderline poverty your entire adult life?
Heya,
I'm currently finishing my first A-level and was looking to explore investing during the summer. Is there any resources like books/online courses that you would recommend.
Also, if I am intending to do a business management course at university, would it help me with investing or is finance a better fit.
I haven't done this in a while, ask me anything on the stock market/ investing/ finance.
Original post by Palmyra
At 26 that is decent, but do you think you could be 25 years down the line wishing you didn't live in borderline poverty your entire adult life?

I enjoy what I am doing, that is the key. I long gave up chasing materialism. I like analysing and valuing businesses. For most people, what I am doing is nuts. Why pile up money if you are not going to spend it. I'd rather the money be piled up and go to good causes in the end. I don't care about having a large house or flashy car, that causes more problems in life. I do want to work towards the education of poor children in developing countries, I can maybe help in that if I make hundreds of millions of pounds towards my 70s. I can assure you I will have a few million pounds by my 60s. The compounding will accelerate in the later years. My aim this year is to cross £100,000, and within 5 years to be at £250,000.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by alanmokrousov
Heya,
I'm currently finishing my first A-level and was looking to explore investing during the summer. Is there any resources like books/online courses that you would recommend.
Also, if I am intending to do a business management course at university, would it help me with investing or is finance a better fit.

I suggest looking at this documentary.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHPlLsdW0A&t=4705s

Business management is more accounting I think.
Thank you for replying.
I have watched this documentary just about a week ago, thought it was quite good.

In regards to actually investing into the stock market, currently I'm in the UK, would it be possible for me to invest into the US market.
I suggest looking at this documentary.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHPlLsdW0A&t=4705s

Business management is more accounting I think.
I can assure you I will have a few million pounds by my 60s.

Bold claim...

Also I assume you don't want kids? I don't think such a lifestyle is sustainable if you need to support kids.
Original post by alanmokrousov
Thank you for replying.
I have watched this documentary just about a week ago, thought it was quite good.

In regards to actually investing into the stock market, currently I'm in the UK, would it be possible for me to invest into the US market.

Yes, just find a UK broker and fill out a W-8 BEN form. US stocks are in dollars, so you will have fx risk when you invest in the US.
Original post by Palmyra
Bold claim...

Also I assume you don't want kids? I don't think such a lifestyle is sustainable if you need to support kids.

If you can put away a £1000 every month, everyone would have a few million just from the S&P 500. But you have to be doing this for 40 years straight.
If you can put away a £1000 every month, everyone would have a few million just from the S&P 500. But you have to be doing this for 40 years straight.

Exactly, that pretty much precludes actually enjoying your life or having kids.
Original post by Palmyra
Exactly, that pretty much precludes actually enjoying your life or having kids.

I agree, that's what makes it hard. You can have a family, but you can't live lavishly. The wealth will only compound if you have a large amount of capital and a long runway. It's like a snowball, it gets bigger and bigger rolling down the hill. Towards the later years, the compounding goes exponential. Most of the gains are made in the later years, if you carry on into your 80s and 90s you will end up 10s of millions of pounds just from the S&P 500. If you hit 100, you will have 50-60 million pounds just from the S&P 500. Though if you can beat the market, you can be compounding into 100s of millions and possibly even billions (but again, that would be into your late 80s).
I agree, that's what makes it hard. You can have a family, but you can't live lavishly. The wealth will only compound if you have a large amount of capital and a long runway. It's like a snowball, it gets bigger and bigger rolling down the hill. Towards the later years, the compounding goes exponential. Most of the gains are made in the later years, if you carry on into your 80s and 90s you will end up 10s of millions of pounds just from the S&P 500. If you hit 100, you will have 50-60 million pounds just from the S&P 500. Though if you can beat the market, you can be compounding into 100s of millions and possibly even billions (but again, that would be into your late 80s).

If you live to 80 even £10m won't be worth close to what it's worth today due to inflation, and I doubt many 80 year olds care about money at that point. It's good if you want to leave something for your kids though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending