The Student Room Group

types of mutations - biology alevel ocr a

how does nonsense, missense link to everything? are they examples of substitution mutations??
yes they're types of substitution mutations:

- nonsense I believe is when a base is swapped and it forms a stop codon so protein made is incomplete or dysfunctional
- there are 2 types of missense mutations - both result in different amino acids but the overall effect differs
- with conservative missense the amino acid charges are still the same as the normal protein, leading to little change to protein made
- with non conservative,the amino acid charges do change, leading to a completely different protein
(edited 4 years ago)
Can you Explain Primary and Secondary Metabolites please and how that is linked to the microbial curve.
Original post by lollypenguin
yes they're types of substitution mutations:

- nonsense I believe is when a base is swapped and it forms a stop codon so protein made is incomplete or dysfunctional
- there are 2 types of missense mutations - both result in different amino acids but the overall effect differs
- with conservative missense the amino acid charges are still the same as the normal protein, leading to little change to protein made
- with non conservative,the amino acid charges do change, leading to a completely different protein
Reply 3
primary metabolite are Substances produced by an organism as part of its normal growth
Vital for cell growth
Amino acids
Lipids
Vitamins
Produced during log phase.

Substances produced that are not part of normal growth
Produced once the colony has reached its maximum sustainable size
Antibiotics
Penicillin
Produced during stationary phase
Original post by lionike123
Can you Explain Primary and Secondary Metabolites please and how that is linked to the microbial curve.
Original post by lionike123

primary metabolites are needed for like growth of the microorganisms e.g. glucose
secondary metabolites aren't needed for their growth and are the end product of primary metabolism e.g. antibiotics
primary metabolites I believe are made in growth phase whereas secondary in stationary (not 100% sure about that tho)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending