The Student Room Group

Law Training Contracts

Hi,

I have just finished the first year of my Law degree. I am confused about when I have to apply for training contracts/vac schemes. The information online compared to information I’ve received from word-of-mouth has been quite contradictory and I am looking for some clarification.

The initial impression that I got was that you apply for vac schemes first from September-January, and then you apply for training contracts in the summer (with June as the general deadline).

However, other firms such as Irwin Mitchell open their applications for training contracts in early November, and there is not much time between applying for a vac scheme and a training contract.

Is there a general pattern between when to apply for VC/TC or does it depend on each single firm?

So ultimately, will I have to apply in the period between 1st/2nd year or the period between 2nd/3rd year? I don’t know if I’m thinking about this a year too early…

Thanks!
Usually firms use your vac scheme applications (with the assessment centres etc) to consider training contract applications. A lot of firms that offer vac schemes seem to recruit from the schemes. Focus on getting the applications in beginning October this year, if you make a good impression you will be offered a place for a TC or advised on how to make an application.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
You can generally only apply to either a vacation scheme or a training contract once per yer.

Generally, vacation schemes are what second year students go for, with an insight into how the law firm operates and has the chance of developing into a TC if you impress.them. It's quite hard to apply for a straight TC if you're a second year.

If you're in your third year you will want to apply for either a winter vacation scheme (shorter and earlier because of year 3 commitments to studying etc) or the straight TC. Hopefully by the third year you will have done enough extra-curriculars to make yourself stand out. I didn't get anything second year but managed to get the TC third year so don't be disheartened if you come up empty handed second year!

There is no one way to do things, deadlines for each firm vary so don't be worried if they're not all the same. Look at legal cheek for application deadlines they have quite a useful page.
Original post by Kitta
You can generally only apply to either a vacation scheme or a training contract once per yer.

Generally, vacation schemes are what second year students go for, with an insight into how the law firm operates and has the chance of developing into a TC if you impress.them. It's quite hard to apply for a straight TC if you're a second year.

If you're in your third year you will want to apply for either a winter vacation scheme (shorter and earlier because of year 3 commitments to studying etc) or the straight TC. Hopefully by the third year you will have done enough extra-curriculars to make yourself stand out. I didn't get anything second year but managed to get the TC third year so don't be disheartened if you come up empty handed second year!

There is no one way to do things, deadlines for each firm vary so don't be worried if they're not all the same. Look at legal cheek for application deadlines they have quite a useful page.

Congrats on your TC, have you begun yet? And if so, how are you finding it?
Reply 4
Original post by AndrewMarkSP
Congrats on your TC, have you begun yet? And if so, how are you finding it?

Thank you :smile: starting LPC in July, working in the office February - so not sure just yet!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending