Goldiepop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello!

Since the medicine course is new there has only been 1 intake of students (2018 entry), so I've been struggling to find student reviews of the course/uni from a med student perspective. If anyone sees this that goes to ARU your input would be very helpful!
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Goldiepop)
Hello!

Since the medicine course is new there has only been 1 intake of students (2018 entry), so I've been struggling to find student reviews of the course/uni from a med student perspective. If anyone sees this that goes to ARU your input would be very helpful!
I see that you have already posted in the ARU 2019 thread. That is probably the best place in case current students visit.

As you said this is the second year of intake, so reviews will be limited. Don't worry about accreditation though because the GMC will accredit the school when the first cohort students graduate.
ARUOfficial
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi Goldiepop

One of our students has kindly sent over the info below, which I hope you find useful:

‘Principles’ is basically a crash course in all your basic sciences. It's a way of getting everyone up to the same level as people come from degree/A Levels/foundation year and have different levels of understanding. Principles is pretty hard however everything that you are taught is brought up later on in the course.

In terms of exams, we have 'mocks' throughout the year that don't count but show where you are at and all our exams that count are at the end of the year. Our exams are: Anatomy spot, OSCE and SBA. Anatomy spot is where you walk around stations and are asked to name a labelled specimen at that station. OSCE is where you go round stations and are asked to 'act out' a clinical scenario (a similar set up to the MMI). SBA is the exam with the most weighting and stands for single best answer. This is where the bulk of your knowledge is tested and you are asked a question and given 5
different options.

For something I wish I had known before beginning first year, I haven't found Medicine THAT hard. What is hard is the volume you are required to know and to get a good grasp on this you need to 1) keep on top of everything 2) learn how to revise. For learning to revise, I really like Ali Abdaal on youtube (he's a medic from Cambridge). Watching some of his videos to prepare for medicine is a good idea.

Also, take a look at, or join in with the conversation here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...5#post82942286

Many thanks
Emma

(Original post by Goldiepop)
Hello!

Goldiepop
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ARUOfficial)
Hi Goldiepop

One of our students has kindly sent over the info below, which I hope you find useful:

‘Principles’ is basically a crash course in all your basic sciences. It's a way of getting everyone up to the same level as people come from degree/A Levels/foundation year and have different levels of understanding. Principles is pretty hard however everything that you are taught is brought up later on in the course.

In terms of exams, we have 'mocks' throughout the year that don't count but show where you are at and all our exams that count are at the end of the year. Our exams are: Anatomy spot, OSCE and SBA. Anatomy spot is where you walk around stations and are asked to name a labelled specimen at that station. OSCE is where you go round stations and are asked to 'act out' a clinical scenario (a similar set up to the MMI). SBA is the exam with the most weighting and stands for single best answer. This is where the bulk of your knowledge is tested and you are asked a question and given 5
different options.

For something I wish I had known before beginning first year, I haven't found Medicine THAT hard. What is hard is the volume you are required to know and to get a good grasp on this you need to 1) keep on top of everything 2) learn how to revise. For learning to revise, I really like Ali Abdaal on youtube (he's a medic from Cambridge). Watching some of his videos to prepare for medicine is a good idea.

Also, take a look at, or join in with the conversation here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...5#post82942286

Many thanks
Emma

Thank you !😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.69%
I don't have everything I need (143)
42.31%

Watched Threads