I want to go into Psychology but I don't know which sector to go into? Watch

fleuriegrace
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I've decided I want to study Psychology at university, and work in psychology however I'm not sure which sector of psychology to go into.

Obviously there is the counselor route
and then there is the criminology route
or the psychiatry route,

but i'm not sure,
I was wondering if someone could give me some advice or if someone has any experience or knows anything about it?
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
That is something you will have to discover, none of it will be easy.
JzANonM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i suggest doing some backreading into counselling criminiology and psychiatry, and see which one interests you the most! I know this probably wont help but just a thought😊
fleuriegrace
Rep:
?
Thank you, I'll do that,
(Original post by JzANonM)
i suggest doing some backreading into counselling criminiology and psychiatry, and see which one interests you the most! I know this probably wont help but just a thought😊
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
To be a psychiatrist you need to train to be a doctor, not do psychology. Clinical psychologists have a lot of overlap with the types of clients they will work with though
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
A vast number of students want to go into Clinical Psychology (and never get there). My advice would be to read up on everything but that (as you will hear plenty about that from everyone else).
fleuriegrace
Rep:
?
(Original post by Interrobang)
To be a psychiatrist you need to train to be a doctor, not do psychology. Clinical psychologists have a lot of overlap with the types of clients they will work with though
I don't want to go into psychiatry, I want to go into psychology
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by fleuriegrace)
I wouldn't bother with Clinical Psychology (the area within Psychology confused with Psychiatry).
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Your initial post said psychiatry. Many people get them confused and think a psychiatrist is a psychologist
(Original post by fleuriegrace)
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This isn't a decision you need to make yet.
Blonde.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Statistically you will most likely end up working in retail anyway so
username4813048
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hey,

So, good question. You don't need to make set your mind on that and properly decide. I am in my third year and still don't know which sector I would like to work in. However, it is good that you are thinking about it, this will help you narrow down what you want to do or focus gaining work experience in or studying in further detail. I would say just research each area and then see which one speaks to you the most, you can use this link to see about each sector: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...ree/psychology.

I have 3 sectors I am interested in: forensic, educational and art therapy. At the moment, I am gaining as much experience for each, and trying other areas too. This helps me decide what the work is like and what I like and dislike. So, that could also be something you could try to help you narrow your options down. But, I wouldn't get so stressed as well, just because in a year or 2 years or 5 years, this could change! You can also take the quiz here to find out what would suit you, but again, this could change with time: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/.

Hope this helps!
username4813048
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You can also try this flowchart from the BPS website itself to research more about fields in psychology and what the work involves etc: https://careers.bps.org.uk/
Blonde.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Interrobang)
To be a psychiatrist you need to train to be a doctor, not do psychology.
I literally died of laughter
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Psychiatrists are doctors so you'd need to do a medicine degree in order to become one.

Criminal psychologists are actually forensic psychologists, you'd have to do a Bachelors degree in Psychology and then a Masters in Forensic Psychology afterwards.

Counsellors are different from psychologists, you'd do a degree in Counselling or more vocational courses like a diploma.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (95)
12.84%
1 (93)
12.57%
2 (94)
12.7%
19.32%
22.7%
19.86%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed