The Student Room Group

Why is this a reduction reaction?

Why is the reaction of ethene with hydrogen gas to produce ethane a reduction reaction because i think it's a redox reaction because hydrogen gets oxidised and carbon gets reduced 🙂. I've put a picture of the chemical equation of the reaction in the comments 🙂

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Redox and reduction are the same thing. They both mean a gain of electrons/loss of oxygen
Original post by mazenod
Redox and reduction are the same thing. They both mean a gain of electrons/loss of oxygen

Reduction doesn't mean loss of oxygen 😄🙂, redox means REDuction + OXidation (at least, that's what i thought a redox equation included), reduction definitely means a species gains a more negative oxidation number and oxidation definitely means a species gains a more positive oxidation number 🙂
Original post by DeFreedomWey
Why is the reaction of ethene with hydrogen gas to produce ethane a reduction reaction because i think it's a redox reaction because hydrogen gets oxidised and carbon gets reduced 🙂. I've put a picture of the chemical equation of the reaction in the comments 🙂

C2H4 + H2 -> C2H6
The oxidation number of carbon in ethene (C2H4) is –2, while in ethane (C2H6) carbon has an oxidation number of –3. The oxidation number of hydrogen in ethene and ethane is +1. The oxidation number of elemental hydrogen is 0. Therefore, carbon in ethene has been reduced, and ethene is the oxidizing agent
Original post by Huckipity
C2H4 + H2 -> C2H6
The oxidation number of elemental hydrogen is 0. Therefore, carbon in ethene has been reduced, and ethene is the oxidizing agent

Please may you explain why ethene is the oxidizing agent more thoroughly? 🙂
Reply 5
Reduction doesn't mean loss of oxygen 😄🙂, redox means REDuction + OXidation (at least, that's what i thought a redox equation included), reduction definitely means a species gains a more negative oxidation number and oxidation definitely means a species gains a more positive oxidation number 🙂

The concept is the same though, the same thing happens, except one had oxygen involved and the other doesn’t
Please may you explain why ethene is the oxidizing agent more thoroughly? 🙂

Hmmmm, actually I'm not entirely sure why, but I think that I'm right in saying that ethene is the oxidizing agent. I'm only in year 11 - I'm just a Chem enthusiast :s-smilie:
Hmmmm, actually I'm not entirely sure why, but I think that I'm right in saying that ethene is the oxidizing agent. I'm only in year 11 - I'm just a Chem enthusiast :s-smilie:

Don't let school tiers stop you from exploring! 😄
Original post by mazenod
The concept is the same though, the same thing happens, except one had oxygen involved and the other doesn’t

How is oxygen involved in this reaction? It isn't in the equation 😄🙂
Reply 9
How is oxygen involved in this reaction? It isn't in the equation 😄🙂

It isn’t, which is why it isn’t redox 😃
Original post by mazenod
It isn’t, which is why it isn’t redox 😃

Sorry, but I think you need to go back to the very basics of Chemistry. You do not need to have Oxygen in an equation for it to be classed as a redox reaction.
Sorry, but I think you need to go back to the very basics of Chemistry. You do not need to have Oxygen in an equation for it to be classed as a redox reaction.

Yeah just realised that. I’m just digging myself in a deeper hole here, i’ve confused myself and everyone has confused me, so i’ll shut up
Original post by mazenod
Yeah just realised that. I’m just digging myself in a deeper hole here, i’ve confused myself and everyone has confused me, so i’ll shut up

All good, happens to the best of us :smile:

👍🏻😃
Do some research on "oxidation numbers".

There lies your answer.

another way of thinking of reduction is gaining of hydrogen
Original post by Pigster
Do some research on "oxidation numbers".

There lies your answer.

What do i search for? 🙂

I don't think it would happen to the best of us - it would happen to the people who don't thoroughly understand a topic 🙂
Because ethene gains hydrogen. One of the definitions of reduction is "the gain of hydrogen". Reduction can mean:
1. Gain of electrons
2. Loss of oxygen
3. Gain of hydrogen
4. A decrease in oxidation number.
Original post by mazenod

I believe you should reconfirm things to make the puzzle pieces of the facts for together again because that's going to benefit you the most in this topic 🙂, and don't shut up 😄 , just question everything you're finding confusing and give your mind a break! 😄 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest