JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
I want to learn to speak German fluently by the end of the year, or at least get by in most conversations, I thought it'd be good for me to go on Rosetta Stone, what do you recommend?

I'm also going to be watching German shows or at least English shows with German speaking and also some German speeches and language in general.
sqrt of 5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
i would suggest learning the grammar first
(Original post by TheNamesBond.)
I want to learn to speak German fluently by the end of the year, or at least get by in most conversations, I thought it'd be good for me to go on Rosetta Stone, what do you recommend?

I'm also going to be watching German shows or at least English shows with German speaking and also some German speeches and language in general.
OllyDaws
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
grammar then vocab
the grammar can be very hard and overwhelming at first but if you get the basics it gets easier
good podcast to listen to for German is Coffee break German its so good
sqrt of 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sqrt of 5)
i would suggest learning the grammar first
what i also do is changing the language of my laptop/phone to see if i can understand. you basically need to incorporate german into your everyday life
17t.martin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Duolingo ist a good app
sqrt of 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by 17t.martin)
Duolingo ist a good app
memorise as well and it's free or you could use quizlet for vocab
JustOneMoreThing
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by 17t.martin)
Duolingo ist a good app
I've tried it but it's more of a supplement to learning, I'm looking for something that actually helps as a whole.
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago

Rosetta Stone isn't worth the price tbh.

Duolingo is very good as long as you're doing your own study outside of it (e.g taking the grammar rule they're teaching you and going away and practising it yourself, learning the exceptions, etc.). These textbooks are good to use alongside Duolingo. Memrise is also v good for vocabulary learning and they have a lot of German courses on there.

Once you are able to start constructing sentences, HiNative is a great website where native speakers will be able to correct your mistakes and tell you how to say things more naturally. HelloTalk is another good app where you can practice with natives.

I'd recommend GermanPod101 on Youtube too!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I've studied at university and have become fluent in French, Spanish and Japanese. I highly recommend that you invest in good textbooks to teach and explain to you the different grammar rules as well as gradually introduce to you vocabulary.

I remember how much I hated grammar in school simply because I didn't understand it. Once I entered university where I was properly taught grammar by my tutors as well as through the use of excellent textbooks, I realised that I actually really liked studying grammar and that was easy to understand. Please invest in good textbooks to help you climb through the levels. They really will be your best friend.

Good textbooks are especially vital at the early stages of your language learning. You need something to explain the fundamentals to you. Once you've mastered the fundamentals, you can try learning the language through other means like reading novels etc.
theidealteacher
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I hope the language learning is going well so far!

I agree with Quick-use above about a good grammar book and 'course' book. Understanding how the grammar works is definitely the perfect starting point to develop accuracy for fluency. Modern German Grammar by Ruth Whittle has got some pretty decent reviews on Amazon. A course book will give you some structure and the reading activities will help with your vocabulary.

However, you also need to use the vocab and grammar in productive activities - speaking and listening. Have you got someone you can speak to in German? Check out italki.com for some fairly reasonably priced tutors, as well as people who can language swap with you. Be careful to do this 50/50 though, as some people on that option can take advantage!

For listening, there are loads of websites, but it depends on your level which would be best. These are a couple I'd recommend: http://www.daserste.de/ (Higher) / https://www.newsinslowgerman.com/ (Foundation - Higher).

If you need more suggestions, please let me know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 19 Feb '20
  • University of Warwick
    Warwick Business School Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Feb '20

Have you ever accessed mental health support services at University?

Yes (44)
24.31%
No, but I have thought about it (48)
26.52%
No (89)
49.17%

Watched Threads