The University of Law Students
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi guys, I'm Isaac and I am a University of Law student at the Birmingham campus. I'm just about to complete my last exams for the GDL and hopefully will get the results I want!!!

Anyone what to know about the GDL and Life University Law?
Tahrin Chowdhury
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hello.. My Name is Tahrin Chowdhury

I am from Bangladesh and i have just completed my LL.B Hon's from Bangladesh. I really want to know few things and was searching for answers here but couldn't find it .. So i hope you can answer them

I want to become a barrister at law and i am planning on doing my Masters at law (LLM) in Uk hence i have already got an offer later from bangor University but due to some personal issues i am planning on attending the January semester and will be applying to University of law, Nottingham Trent and uwe bristol.. But while searching for the LLM i found that University of essex offering LL.B senior status program which will allow me direct entry to BPTC.. Now i am confused as what should i do or rather what will be the easiest way for me to become a barrister at law

And can you help me understand that what BPTC actually is?? I already know about BTT and BCat but i heard the passing rate js very low on these..

I would be glad if you could kindly answer my questions

Thank you
Tahrin
Rep:
?
Hi Tahrin,

Firstly, you are in a similar situation with a number of International students. BPTC is The Bar Professional Training Course. It takes about a year on fulltime study after which you can embark on the Pupillage( vocational stage of the Bar). As an international student, You have to apply to the Bar Standards Board for a Certificate of Academic Standing. You can then apply for a conversion course such as the GDL or an MA Law.
Am currently on the conversion course the GDL at the University of Law. The University of Law provides these courses for students who want to convert into law with non Law degrees. You can undertake the MA Law at the University of Law which helps you attain the Masters as well as having a conversion course. On completion, you can embark on the BPTC.

I think this is an easier way to embark on the path of becoming a Barrister.

I have added a great link from the Bar Standards Board which you will find useful in regards to your situation. https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk...g-a-barrister/

I hope you find this information useful.
regards,
Isaac
Tahrin Chowdhury
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank You for your reply.. So are you suggesting that i should enroll myself to MA law and then do my Bcat and then apply to BPTC?? Cause last time i met with an representative of uwe bristol in my country they said GLD can be hard and the passing rate is low..
Rep:
?
Hi Tahrin,

I would suggest emailing [email protected] who would be best placed to advise you as to which course is better for you.

However, it may be helpful to know that both the MA Law and GDL will allow you to progress on to the BPTC. Take a look at the course content for both via our website www.law.ac.uk to see which you'd prefer to study.

Also, the BCAT is the entry exam which you will have to take before starting the BPTC. I would advise applying for the BPTC, going through the selection process and receiving an offer to study before taking the exam.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Shehraz
(Student Ambassador, BPTC Student)
(Original post by Tahrin Chowdhury)
Thank You for your reply.. So are you suggesting that i should enroll myself to MA law and then do my Bcat and then apply to BPTC?? Cause last time i met with an representative of uwe bristol in my country they said GLD can be hard and the passing rate is low..
atiqmassan
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi,
I am Atiq Massan and have unconditional offer for GDL in UoL Birmingham. I am a practicing Lawyer in Pakistan and wanted BPTC.
Want to know Certificate of Academic Standing can be applied now before start of GDL or can be applied during GDL course?
Secondly how does it affect BPTC/ GDL admission?
Can BCAT be given early on? Like asap before December? I.e. during start of gdl.. whats the validity period of BCAT?
Regards
Atiq
Rep:
?
Hi Atiq,

Congratulations on your offer to study with us!

Any queries about a Certificate of Academic Standing are best directed to the Bar Standards Board. It may be worth dropping them an email at
[email protected] .org.uk.

The BCAT will be valid for 5 years from the date of passing. Unless there is a practical reason for taking the test early, I would advise securing an offer to study the BPTC and then taking the BCAT as you can submit an application for admission to the BPTC without having taken the test. You will need to have sat and passed the BCAT before starting the BPTC.

Hope that helps!

Shehraz

(Original post by atiqmassan)
Hi,
I am Atiq Massan and have unconditional offer for GDL in UoL Birmingham. I am a practicing Lawyer in Pakistan and wanted BPTC.
Want to know Certificate of Academic Standing can be applied now before start of GDL or can be applied during GDL course?
Secondly how does it affect BPTC/ GDL admission?
Can BCAT be given early on? Like asap before December? I.e. during start of gdl.. whats the validity period of BCAT?
Regards
Atiq
Anonymous #1
Report 3 months ago
Hi,

I am thinking of studying the BPTC, as such I am wondering what the workload/ typical day of a BPTC student at ULaw looks like. I am also wondering how the BPTC is taught at ULaw, i.e. the teaching materials etc...

Thanks
cper1996
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hello Isaac,
I have just accepted a place for the LPC LLM at the University of Law in Birmingham and I am wondering which student accommodation is the best to live in Birmingham. The university in its website states the Canalside but after a quick research that I had on Google, I found that there are very very bad reviews for that accommodation. So could you please help me? I am looking for something not far away from the ULaw Birmingham, with good transportation if it is possible in a safe location.
Thank you very much in advance!
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi guys, I'm Isaac and I am a University of Law student at the Birmingham campus. I'm just about to complete my last exams for the GDL and hopefully will get the results I want!!!

Cream4eva
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by The University of Law Students)

I’ll love to know more as I am planning to study GLD too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Postgraduate Open Day - GDL, LPC and MA Law - Nottingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • The University of Law
    Postgraduate Open Day - GDL, LPC and MA Law - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • The University of Law
    Postgraduate Open Day - GDL / LPC - Liverpool campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (57)
24.26%
No (178)
75.74%

Watched Threads