Is a 5 hour drive to University too long Watch

jemmaty10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm looking at joining Hartpury University, but part-time, and also still living at home. The problem is, my partner lives in Scotland, and I may be moving there. If I move there, the distance away from University becomes longer - 2hr30 - 5hours. I have family close to Hartpury (1 hour away) but I've worked out 2 days at uni a week would cost me about £87.50 call it £90 a week on Diesel. My cars super good on miles, and I love a good drive, but I've no idea what part-time uni courses entail. I'm off to an open day on Saturday to find out, but just hoping that it won't be so bad. I've a young daughter and I don't want to move away from home because of her. Plus, I also have a business up home which I was looking at trying to continue if it made sense to do so, extra income, directly relevant to the subject I was wanting to study (canine behaviour and training) - self employed Dog Walker.
arabie2001
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
yes it is too long. five hours you wont be motivated to do that over the years.
maachu_pichuu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
2 hrs 30 minutes one way is manageable but will get tedious quickly, you can do that once a week or twice a week at most. Driving for 5 hours everyday is going to kill your feet (keeping it on the accelerator) and do havoc to your mind (keeping attention on the road for so long).
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You will absolutely not be wanting to do that every day, and running a car with that kind of mileage will be very expensive as well. I would suggest either living in halls or deciding on another uni.
KanyesVest
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I do just over an hour everyday, at first it was ok and manageable. A few months down the line when winter kicks in and your stuck in traffic for hours on end and the radio has played the same song for the 10th time that day it becomes soul destroying
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
n.n1616
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
that's insane. yes, obviously 5 hours is too long.
redbull114
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That is too long, I could not hack doing that for a few years. I'd suggest going to a University elsewhere
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jemmaty10)
I'm looking at joining Hartpury University, but part-time, and also still living at home. The problem is, my partner lives in Scotland, and I may be moving there. If I move there, the distance away from University becomes longer - 2hr30 - 5hours. I have family close to Hartpury (1 hour away) but I've worked out 2 days at uni a week would cost me about £87.50 call it £90 a week on Diesel. My cars super good on miles, and I love a good drive, but I've no idea what part-time uni courses entail. I'm off to an open day on Saturday to find out, but just hoping that it won't be so bad. I've a young daughter and I don't want to move away from home because of her. Plus, I also have a business up home which I was looking at trying to continue if it made sense to do so, extra income, directly relevant to the subject I was wanting to study (canine behaviour and training) - self employed Dog Walker.
As others have said, 5 hours is an extremely long commute each day (even if it's not every day of the week), so I concur that you should try to find the same course at a closer university.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
distance learning degree?
jemmaty10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Eeee. Looks like I'm not going to Uni then! None of the others near me are worth it. Seems to be nigh on impossible trying to find a university that focuses on simply just 'dogs' and a good course at that.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jemmaty10)
Eeee. Looks like I'm not going to Uni then! None of the others near me are worth it. Seems to be nigh on impossible trying to find a university that focuses on simply just 'dogs' and a good course at that.
As Noodlzzz said, is there a distance learning option offered anywhere?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads