The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Transgender identification.

If someone who clearly looked like a man came up to you and stated that they were actually ma’am not sir after identifying them as a sir would you change your words for their satisfaction or to end the confrontation. I wouldn’t due to the blatant fact that he is a man. Indeed many would say that you are disrespecting him or not respecting his identity. BUT surely you have to earn respect? If we were to just be subconsciously respecting everyone due to saying they are the wrong gender identity and that they are the opposite sex, then respect becomes worthless as we are not rewarding respect but just dishing it out. Just like the wailing left screaming Nazi at everyone with a right wing view, you de-value the atrocities that the nazis actually committed. What do you think and put your thoughts on this thread :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I would change my words
I would change my words. It's not killing me to do it and there's no point in causing a fight over something so trivial.
Reply 3
More on the transgender identification. Surely one can’t know how it is to feel the opposite sex. One may act in a feminine or masculine manner but that doesn’t mean you are that gender? If so then surely you are what the left describes as gender stereotyping which is what they are against (like woman belong in the kitchen type of thing). It is impossible to feel the other sex. And the more you think of it the more it becomes clear that it is a mental issue as your brain is saying that you are in the wrong body. The WHO recently took it out of that category due to increasing pressure from the left and you know “lgbtqaidgducniwfdefghedf” rights.
Reply 4
Tbh, I’ll probs change my words as I’ll probs have better things to do in the day than start an argument 😂😂
Original post by Jsun02
If someone who clearly looked like a man came up to you and stated that they were actually ma’am not sir after identifying them as a sir would you change your words for their satisfaction or to end the confrontation. I wouldn’t due to the blatant fact that he is a man. Indeed many would say that you are disrespecting him or not respecting his identity. BUT surely you have to earn respect? If we were to just be subconsciously respecting everyone due to their disturbed minds saying they are the wrong gender identity and that they are the opposite sex, then respect becomes worthless as we are not rewarding respect but just dishing it out. Just like the wailing left screaming Nazi at everyone with a right wing view, you de-value the atrocities that the nazis actually committed. What do you think and put your thoughts on this thread :smile:

Surely calling people by the name and pronoun they prefer falls under the basic level of respect you should give to anyone? Unless your default position is to be rude to every individual who hasn't yet 'earned' better treatment?
i would stand my ground, we can't let mob rule defeat science
Reply 7
Original post by A Rolling Stone

My boi 😁
Reply 8
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Surely calling people by the name and pronoun they prefer falls under the basic level of respect you should give to anyone? Unless your default position is to be rude to every individual who hasn't yet 'earned' better treatment?

But then you’re just succumbing to the fact that maybe the next day somebody comes up and rips u up for defying he/she as he/she is stead of zen or zer and then it continually builds up.
From your post, you clearly have been poisoned by boorish far right media and you seem to be living in this made up Internet world where it is one big generalisation with one side called "the left" and another called "the right".

Your arguments
Original post by Jsun02
More on the transgender identification. Surely one can’t know how it is to feel the opposite sex. One may act in a feminine or masculine manner but that doesn’t mean you are that gender? If so then surely you are what the left describes as gender stereotyping which is what they are against (like woman belong in the kitchen type of thing). It is impossible to feel the other sex. And the more you think of it the more it becomes clear that it is a mental issue as your brain is saying that you are in the wrong body. The WHO recently took it out of that category due to increasing pressure from the left and you know “lgbtqaidgducniwfdefghedf” rights.

What you have described is gender dysphoria. You have basically said that these thoughts are a mental issue, well no ****? It happens in the brain, no one argues with that, but it's not a mental illness, you don't know the causes of it, but you write with such confidence, so I must ask; what peer reviewed papers have you written/read that shows significant evidence for your claims?
If someone wants to be identified be a particular gender then I'm happy to accommodate that, it's hardly a big deal. Some people are just looking for things to object to, they need to get a life.
Reply 11
Just accommodate to what the person wants. It is seriously not affecting you as a person to just respect them. It looks like your problem is far from deliberating what pronoun to call someone, so maybe fix that first.

How about letting actual science beat flawed KS3 understandings?
1,600 left-wing activists lmao.
1,600 left-wing activists lmao.

Well, reality does have a left wing bias. But maybe have the self awareness to realise that if the experts in a field disagree with you, you probably don't have any understanding of the subject. Just an idea like.
Original post by Jsun02
If someone who clearly looked like a man came up to you and stated that they were actually ma’am not sir after identifying them as a sir would you change your words for their satisfaction or to end the confrontation. I wouldn’t due to the blatant fact that he is a man. Indeed many would say that you are disrespecting him or not respecting his identity. BUT surely you have to earn respect? If we were to just be subconsciously respecting everyone due to their disturbed minds saying they are the wrong gender identity and that they are the opposite sex, then respect becomes worthless as we are not rewarding respect but just dishing it out. Just like the wailing left screaming Nazi at everyone with a right wing view, you de-value the atrocities that the nazis actually committed. What do you think and put your thoughts on this thread :smile:

Different strokes for different folks. I’d change my words to avoid hurting their feelings, although I don’t think my mistake should cost me my job, nor your decision to not change your words.
Original post by NotNotBatman
What you have described is gender dysphoria. You have basically said that these thoughts are a mental issue, well no ****? It happens in the brain, no one argues with that, but it's not a mental illness, you don't know the causes of it, but you write with such confidence, so I must ask; what peer reviewed papers have you written/read that shows significant evidence for your claims?

How can you suggest that gender dysphoria is not a mental illness? It's clinically recognized and there are treatment available for it.
Original post by Sharmarko
How can you suggest that gender dysphoria is not a mental illness? It's clinically recognized and there are treatment available for it.

Because it isn't classed as a mental health issue but a sexual health one
as someone with a degree in cellular biology, i am an expert in the field.

reality has a right-wing bias, hence natural selection.

if you are born with male characteristics, you are a male. end of.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Well, reality does have a left wing bias. But maybe have the self awareness to realise that if the experts in a field disagree with you, you probably don't have any understanding of the subject. Just an idea like.
Original post by Sharmarko

Transgender no longer recognised as 'disorder' by WHO

'A World Health Organization expert said it now understands transgender is "not actually a mental health condition"'.

Latest

Trending

Trending