Why don’t I know anything? Watch

jodie_potter2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Feel like when people talk intellectually I never know what they’re on about and don’t know a lot of well known facts about language, history etc, in university and I just feel so dumb, is this normal or am I just thick
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jodie_potter2)
Feel like when people talk intellectually I never know what they’re on about and don’t know a lot of well known facts about language, history etc, in university and I just feel so dumb, is this normal or am I just thick
To me, it sounds more like you're not used to having these sort of discussions and that the people you are talking about tend to be well read.You could just learn more about common topics, involving politics and current affairs, science, language, history and the likes. I see it as a good thing being aware of such things, as it means you'll get to learn more from others and see things from a different perspective.
shehnaaz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Why you comparing knowledge? You prolly know stuff that they don’t. Comparison brings unnecessary distress. Don’t compare. Work hard. Chill. Enjoy life. Sleep. Eat. Work hard. Don’t compare.
shehnaaz
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Is your real name potter?
mazenod
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Feel like people use too much jargon nowadays. I wouldn’t worry about it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
agrew
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Throwing around facts taken from Wikipedia doesn't make one smart or intelligent.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
atleast it means you are hanging with the right crowd use it as an opportunity to learn
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
are you Socrates?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you don't spend much time learning these tidbits, they obviously don't interest you. Why would you be bothered by not knowing stuff which doesn't interest you? Do your own thing.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
By just listening to them you will find out some great tidbits for the next convo. Draw the other person out by asking them to talk about themselves. Everyone likes to talk about themselves. I have learnt a lot just by being on TSR. After all, what are we doing? Having a conversation! Use us as practice
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
If you don't spend much time learning these tidbits, they obviously don't interest you. Why would you be bothered by not knowing stuff which doesn't interest you? Do your own thing.
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
By just listening to them you will find out some great tidbits for the next convo. Draw the other person out by asking them to talk about themselves. Everyone likes to talk about themselves. I have learnt a lot just by being on TSR. After all, what are we doing? Having a conversation! Use us as practice
I always thought it was titbits? Is this a Northern thing?
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Language and history are things that you can only learn by reading. It certainly doesn't make someone an intellectual just because they memorized a few facts. You probably just don't read books very often...I consider someone more intelligent if they can use their brain logically (maths proofs,etc), not if they regurgitate facts like a parrot. That's not to say that I don't appreciate languages and creativity. It's just that what you're discussing is just not related to that, it's a matter of reading and memorizing some facts. Anyone can do that.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
No, it's American. We spent too much watching Jason Bourne and stuff.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No, it's American. We spent too much watching Jason Bourne and stuff.
I like a bit of Matt Damon myself
KSaRa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally, I think approaching the situation a bit more optimistically might help.
Instead of thinking "I don't know anything in this conversation", maybe try "There's a lot of new things I can learn from this conversation" and don't be afraid to ask for clarification because there's nothing to be embarrassed in not knowing something and admitting to not knowing, it happens to all of us in the presence of those who are more experienced or educated.
But if it really affects you, then do try reading up on certain topics more and watching the news every day. Those are 2 things I find helpful.
I would like to point out that knowing a book full of facts, in my opinion, doesn't make anyone intellectual.
I appreciate people who are curious to learn and in turn willing to impart their knowledge onto others.

Hope you have a good day!
Last edited by KSaRa; 2 weeks ago
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Titbits round our way as well, but only ever see it written as tidbits so ours is likely a mispronunciation.
shehnaaz
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I agree
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads