Will smoking weed once have any long lasting negative effects? Watch

This discussion is closed.
illicitfinesse
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Going to a party on friday - mates want to get high. I have never smoked weed before, but I've heard that even one hit can have an effect on a teen's brain (I'm 17). Is it safe to try it once without any bad effects in the long run?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
People who smoke weed seem to have higher rates of mental health problems in the long-term. The mechanisms behind that aren't well-understood. You're probably okay if you only do it once, but no one really knows.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by illicitfinesse)
Going to a party on friday - mates want to get high. I have never smoked weed before, but I've heard that even one hit can have an effect on a teen's brain (I'm 17). Is it safe to try it once without any bad effects in the long run?

Yes it'll have a very bad effect. Your hands will gradually turn green and you'll start munching on lettuce constantly.
Ggfffvhjjk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
You turn into hulk
mazenod
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Better be safe than sorry. They don’t exactly know what weed can do to you - not been enough research. I know lots of people do it, but I wouldn’t risk it. Trying it once can make you want to do it again, and although it isn’t addictive, it does cause issues. Having said that, most people have at least tried it, so I reckon a few puffs won’t hurt. Just don’t make it a regular thing
Trapmoneybenny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It can and it will, recent studies have linked even a single encounter with the drug (ie ingesting it whether via smoking or eating it somehow) leads to higher risk of depression. Short term high, good laugh but the long term effects are pretty profound.
https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-healt...on-later-life/

https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/blog/d...mental-illness

Not to mention the fact that the psychoactive THC in weed can trigger any sort of schizophrenic/psychotic tendencies that you may have genetically, a sort of lighting the match to the fuel if you will.

Don't do drugs dude, its a dumb idea
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Trapmoneybenny)
It can and it will, recent studies have linked even a single encounter with the drug (ie ingesting it whether via smoking or eating it somehow) leads to higher risk of depression. Short term high, good laugh but the long term effects are pretty profound.
https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-healt...on-later-life/

https://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/blog/d...mental-illness

Not to mention the fact that the psychoactive THC in weed can trigger any sort of schizophrenic/psychotic tendencies that you may have genetically, a sort of lighting the match to the fuel if you will.

Don't do drugs dude, its a dumb idea
Huh I'll be darned, there's actual science. Pay attention to this guy, OP! ^
username2569523
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Probably won’t. I don’t think weed is even that bad, but trust me when I say that it won’t bring anything positive into your life. Might as well just not smoke, waste of time and things can go wrong for some people
mazenod
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Lol
Trapmoneybenny
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
banter
samra_sahadh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Reality is anything you intake, at all will be incorporated into ALL living cells of your body including your brain. Our present society pushes the whole moderation BS but what we don't realise is drugs like these ( or any drug for that matter) always do some sort of damage. Most research companies are afraid to just flat out tell you this because of pressure from multinational corporations which will come down on them. Better to be safe thing is most people who smoke these drugs are young so they'll only feel the disastrous effects of smoking when they are much older and even now so it'll be too late although I have come across accounts of older smokers who describe the effect in horrific detail.
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
addiction could be a serious concern
forgotten_one
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Where did you get those stats from?
(Original post by Quixote.)
Jesus...... don't listen to anybody on here. Worst place to ask. I don't even smoke the stuff and can tell you that they're speaking complete BS. Nothing will happen if you smoke weed once. Absolutely nothing. Except you may realise that it's not that interesting (although some seem to like it. I've smoked it a few times but never really enjoyed it)

Finding a story of somebody smoking weed once and it doing massive damage is like finding a story about somebody who got outrageously drunk and jumped off a building because they thought they could fly, whilst ignoring the fact that 99.9% of people in the world can have a pint without a problem.
zafreenfarooque
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Unless it's pure don't touch it. Weed commonly available is cheap as it's mixed with all kinds of crap.
Leave well alone IMHO- try it on your skin and hair as an oil, much better for you.
Quixote.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by forgotten_one)
Where did you get those stats from?
exaggerationtomakeapoint.org

Highly recommended
Trapmoneybenny
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Quixote.)
Jesus...... don't listen to anybody on here. Worst place to ask. I don't even smoke the stuff and can tell you that they're speaking complete BS. Nothing will happen if you smoke weed once. Absolutely nothing. Except you may realise that it's not that interesting (although some seem to like it. I've smoked it a few times but never really enjoyed it)

Finding a story of somebody smoking weed once and it doing massive damage is like finding a story about somebody who got outrageously drunk and jumped off a building because they thought they could fly, whilst ignoring the fact that 99.9% of people in the world can have a pint without a problem.

It's a plant mate, not some dangerous chemical concoction. It's not anymore addictive than alcohol (evidence suggests less), and it's being legalised around the world by governments who are beginning to realise that the limited side effects are a minuscule worry in comparison to an underground drug trade.

If you're worried about weed, then i'd also recommend NEVER drinking alcohol in your life. People get depression from that, didn't you hear? There's science and stuff and blah blah
the weed alchohol justification is pretty stupid, yes alcohol is a depressant and yes you'll be much better off never taking at all, because its also a carcinogen.

That doesn't in a anyway mean marijuana is as harmless as grass you knob. Its a plant with a psychoactive component that has a profound impact on your brain. The effects are very profound and more studies are on the way, the link to mental health problems later on especially on an adolescent brain have been proven. The illusion of "moderation" is foolish, there's no sweet spot for any damn drug, you're much better not doing any of them.
JindleBrey
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
LOL just give it a go, one time will certainly do nothing. Alcohol and bacon are more dangerous

People with mental health issues such as depression are more likely to try drugs, which makes it hard to say if they cause mental health issues
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
most certainly, 1 hit addiction, you will most likely be hooked on black tar heroin within 3 years.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads