Does this housing deal sound reasonable? Watch

cliff_badger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So myself and three friends are all going to uni together but the uni doesn't offer accommodation, we are aware of this but we have left it a bit late. But I found a 4 bedroom house that is around £100 pppw with only a £100 holding fee each and no deposit.
This sounded really good but the tenancy starts in July instead of September, September being when our finance is paid to us. After hearing this my friends are saying this is outrageous and that the landlord is practically stealing money from us as they won't have the money before their lones come out yet they won't be able to afford a large deposit either. But we can't find any other places that doesn't ask for huge deposits.

In my opinion this place still sounds perfect but we can't find anything better, does this place sound like it's just gonna be an issue? Is it cheap or are a lot of places like this?

I would also like to add that I'm quite stressed about it as I'm going to travel a long way to view it tomorrow and one friend is already thinking of pulling out uni, so writing this I understand if it doesn't sound coherent or concise but thank you anyway.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m going into second year and my house contract starts in July also. That’s just how it is and I think it’s pretty common, since contracts are usually for 1 year.

Your just gonna have to borrow money from your parents to pay for a few months rent.

Also try not to let it stress you out. Things always work out. I hadn’t sorted out my accommodation 2 weeks before uni last year as I got in through clearing and I was stressed.

Living with your housemates will be an awesome experience, and make sure to get involved in societies. I’m looking forward to leaving halls
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 2 weeks ago
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cliff_badger)
So myself and three friends are all going to uni together but the uni doesn't offer accommodation, we are aware of this but we have left it a bit late. But I found a 4 bedroom house that is around £100 pppw with only a £100 holding fee each and no deposit.
This sounded really good but the tenancy starts in July instead of September, September being when our finance is paid to us. After hearing this my friends are saying this is outrageous and that the landlord is practically stealing money from us as they won't have the money before their lones come out yet they won't be able to afford a large deposit either. But we can't find any other places that doesn't ask for huge deposits.

In my opinion this place still sounds perfect but we can't find anything better, does this place sound like it's just gonna be an issue? Is it cheap or are a lot of places like this?

I would also like to add that I'm quite stressed about it as I'm going to travel a long way to view it tomorrow and one friend is already thinking of pulling out uni, so writing this I understand if it doesn't sound coherent or concise but thank you anyway.
It's common for private landlords to expect rent all year round, scandalous but common. University owned accommodation is a bit different and is normally from Sept - June but since this is not an option in your case, your friends can expect to find this same situation at other private student housing lets in the city you are moving to.
Last edited by harrysbar; 2 weeks ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by cliff_badger)

No deposit is an interesting one. I've not heard of a property that doesn't have a deposit linked to it before.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.75%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (99)
34.74%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (59)
20.7%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.82%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.98%

Watched Threads