The Student Room Group

Worried I failed first year

Hi, i just completed my summer exams and i am not feeling extremely confident in my results. I already failed one 20 credit module in January and I believe I am allowed to fail up to 40 credits. I receive my results in a month and i am really lost on what to do. I can't consider retaking the year since i already took a gap year so i would be much older than the new first years and it would just be a waste of money. Ideally i would like to be offerred to retakes (i am fully motivated to sitting them) but i just don't know if thats an option. I would just like to know if there are any other options to retaking the year or completely dropping out of uni. For example, transferring to another uni or potentially saying something to the head of my course.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, i just completed my summer exams and i am not feeling extremely confident in my results. I already failed one 20 credit module in January and I believe I am allowed to fail up to 40 credits. I receive my results in a month and i am really lost on what to do. I can't consider retaking the year since i already took a gap year so i would be much older than the new first years and it would just be a waste of money. Ideally i would like to be offerred to retakes (i am fully motivated to sitting them) but i just don't know if thats an option. I would just like to know if there are any other options to retaking the year or completely dropping out of uni. For example, transferring to another uni or potentially saying something to the head of my course.

First of all, you haven't failed yet- so you may have done better than you think. If however you have failed some of your course it depends on your university and sometimes your department as to what the procedure would be. If you failed one in January I assume you passed the others you took then- so you won't have failed everything

If you have a course handbook it should tell you what the process is for failed courses. The university should also have documents that set ou what the procedures are. Some universities will allow you to resit all your failed courses , while others might only allow a percentage of resists and some will allow you to take courses you failed in first year in second year. If you can't find the information then I would ask someone in your department because then you will have time to consider your options. If you failed first year it seems unlikely that another university would let you into their second year as you would not have the appropriate credits.

If retaking first year is the only option, don't dismiss it out of hand- I don't think your age would really be an issue as plenty of people go to university when they are a bit older. As to whether it would be a waste of money only you can know that. What you have to ask yourself is why (if you did) you failed- did you struggle with the work? not work hard enough? organise your time badly? Did you not enjoy the course? If you feel that you could do better then it might be worth doing the year again, but if you know that you are going to struggle then may be not.

Good luck, I hope you did better than you thought
Reply 2
There's still I possibility I've passed but I still have a slight inkling that I may have failed by the smallest of margins. I appreciate your message and will take your advice with finding out the retake procedures. Thanks and I hope I did better than I think too.
Original post by watchingyouwatch
First of all, you haven't failed yet- so you may have done better than you think. If however you have failed some of your course it depends on your university and sometimes your department as to what the procedure would be. If you failed one in January I assume you passed the others you took then- so you won't have failed everything

If you have a course handbook it should tell you what the process is for failed courses. The university should also have documents that set ou what the procedures are. Some universities will allow you to resit all your failed courses , while others might only allow a percentage of resists and some will allow you to take courses you failed in first year in second year. If you can't find the information then I would ask someone in your department because then you will have time to consider your options. If you failed first year it seems unlikely that another university would let you into their second year as you would not have the appropriate credits.

If retaking first year is the only option, don't dismiss it out of hand- I don't think your age would really be an issue as plenty of people go to university when they are a bit older. As to whether it would be a waste of money only you can know that. What you have to ask yourself is why (if you did) you failed- did you struggle with the work? not work hard enough? organise your time badly? Did you not enjoy the course? If you feel that you could do better then it might be worth doing the year again, but if you know that you are going to struggle then may be not.

Good luck, I hope you did better than you thought

You most likely will be given a retake or make up assignments to do during the summer if you fail them you could retake the entire unit or unit's you failed next year but for now I'd relax until your exam results come out (you never know you might have passed) or bone up on the one you failed getting ready for that resit.
Reply 4
Thanks I appreciate the reply. I hope so. I will look into my potential options nearer results day
Reply 5
Hi guys, i have received my results and unfortunately i did not pass by 4% on one of my modules, i am completely lost on what to do next.
Reply 6
How did it go? What did you end up doing
Reply 7
Original post by MikeyA
How did it go? What did you end up doing

Things didn't go as planned. I will need to retake 3 modules next academic year. I won't be living out, instead ill commute every few weeks to hand in assignments and be working 3/4 times a week. Nonetheless, i was down at first but ever since i havent been so motivated in my life. All summer i've been working, eating healthily, going gym staying focused etc.
Things didn't go as planned. I will need to retake 3 modules next academic year. I won't be living out, instead ill commute every few weeks to hand in assignments and be working 3/4 times a week. Nonetheless, i was down at first but ever since i havent been so motivated in my life. All summer i've been working, eating healthily, going gym staying focused etc.

That’s great and all but what did you to do improve your results?
Reply 9

So did you get to go into second year and retake on top or did you have to take a year out?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending