The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
theres more to life than grades. just becasuse tings seem unclear now it doesnt mean you wont still get exactly what you want.
Reply 2
so many nice things in the world, forget exams!
Reply 3
Firstly, ask yourself this: What is life about? (I would suggest it is about happiness for you and those you love).

Then ask yourself this: Is the man working for a top business any happier than the man running a farm? He may have more money, but on average, is he happier?
Reply 4
think of it in a positive aspect,
you say you didnt get into your 1st choice uni, hope that means you can get into your backup.
and also you dont know if you flunked yet :P
- have fun, when august then think of possible routes (i.e. repeat the year, etc)
dh00001
theres more to life than grades. just becasuse tings seem unclear now it doesnt mean you wont still get exactly what you want.

Yeah, you might not get As, but it's impossible to establish the scale of the problem until you get your results. I'm sure you'll have done better than you think - you've still got your AS results to fall back on, right? :smile:
The fact I didn't get into my first choice uni is probably the best thing thats ever happened to me :smile:
Aesop

Then ask yourself this: Is the man working for a top business any happier than the man running a farm? He may have more money, but on average, is he happier?

Yes, yes he is.

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll be fine, you can always reapply and retake your A levels next year.
Reply 8
*Star*Guitar*
The fact I didn't get into my first choice uni is probably the best thing thats ever happened to me :smile:

Same with me, i know i'd be a lot unhappier if i'd got into my first choice. There's more to life than A levels. Just have a think about other things you may like to do IF you haven't got the grades you need. You never know, you may have done better than you think. I was sure i'd failed my A levels, and ok i didn't get A's or anything in the end, but i got enough to get into uni
Reply 9
everything happens for a reason
theres more to life than getting good grades. i know it can be dissapointing but you need to put things into perspective. the other day i was moaning about doing badly in an exam. then i saw my little sister with her best friend hannah having a laugh.

a couple of months ago hannahs 10 yr old brother died of a brain tumour. he was the sweetest boy you could meet. yet hannah didnt complain once and she can still put on a brave face, and there was me moaning about my exams. theres more to life than exams a career.

the chances i could have taken to visit him in hospital i was too busy revising.

however i'd also say dont worry too much its not too late. my history teacher did a Phd at cambridge univeristy in history........at A level she got an E in history, she didnt put any effort in.
Reply 11
You shouldn't suicide, I mean yeah you can retake them, and you'd learn the samethings :biggrin:. Keep your head up.
You don't even know you failed yet. All you can do is wait until results. It'd be a shame to kill yourself and then find you got what you needed. I do think you're being a bit over the top, just think about other things and you might be surprised in August.
A Levels (which can be retaken anyway for goodness sake) are not bigger than life, they won't mean anything a few years after you've taken them. To commit suicide over them would be the worst kind of waste there is. Like throwing away an expensive car because of a flat tyre.
Reply 14
Mate take it easy you dont know what grades you got. relax and try to enjoy summer.

And Life is more precious than anything else.
You need to calm down and think about your options. You may still be able to get in through clearing or you could go somewhere else. Maybe go and talk to Connexions to see what they think.
I notice a lot of people are worrying about exams, I know they're stressful but in the end they're not the end of the world, I don't know if this will help but there are so many ways to do things in life that even if somehow you mess them up you can still go to uni and still aim for whatever you want. They're not worth destroying yourself over, they're just exams, realise that there are other ways if the worst does happen. I've been there so if you've got any questions about uni and a levels and **** like that feel free to ask. Sorry I'm not very good at helping people, I'm trying to practise a bit but I think I've started to ramble.
Anonymous
Flunked A levels. No chance of getting grades. Wont get in to 1st uni. Feeling depressed, even suicidal . Dont know what to do. Whole academic life seems wasted. Am i the only one, am i over reacting. I dont know anymore

I felt exactly like that after I flunked my A-levels, and failed to get into my firm/insurance which were top 10s in my subject; I am now in a top 30 uni.
Till this day, I won't lie, but I look back at my ALs with such regret - only now the pressure is on to get a 2:1.

OP, it is not the end of the world, I am actually quite content that I didn't go to an Ivy league uni in this country as the cirriculum would have been much harder, which makes getting a 2:1 more difficult. You have options, got to a lesser ranked univerisity, aim to get a 2:1 and if your STILL bent on getting into an ivy , do a postgrad at one. There are many different paths to success, remember that.
Angrybanana
A Levels (which can be retaken anyway for goodness sake) are not bigger than life, they won't mean anything a few years after you've taken them. To commit suicide over them would be the worst kind of waste there is. Like throwing away an expensive car because of a flat tyre.

Most employers don't look at them your right, but if the OP is ambitious enough as I am aspiring to get into big corporations they may go against you.

But as you rightly stated, one can retake them at any time. I may exactly that after my degree irrespective on if I get a 2:1 or 1st.
Forget it. You made a mistake, we all do.

So you missed your first choice, theres a 2nd isn't there? You would honestly take your life over exams? They are not worth a life believe me.

Accept you failed because nobody is going to click their fingers and change them for you, thats fact. Accept and move on.

There are reasons why you failed, and there is help to ensure next time you don't. Learn from your mistakes and when you're at uni (even if it was your second choice) ensure that you don't make the same mistake.

Btw. You must have knew that there is a chance you could fail, otherwise why apply for the other universities or even pick a second insurance offer?

Now stop being silly, wake yourself up, and move on.

Latest

Trending

Trending