firefly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
hello all you biologically informed people!

Having a bit of a problem understanding the cohesion-tension theory in plants.
If anyone could explain this to me I would be very very grateful!

Thanx
Zwitter Ion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The cohesion-tension theory suggests that water is obtained in plants from soil due to the fact that water is cohesive and so is able to be drawn up from soil particles into the root hairs via osmosis. Water is then able to move through to neighbouring cortex cells by osmosis until it reaches the xylem. The reason water is able to travel up the xylem is due to the tension created. When water leaves the plant due to transpiration water is drawn up from the root to keep a constant supply in the plant at all times.
kitty123
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Isn't there something about adhesion of water molecules to the xylem vessels as well which helps?
Zwitter Ion
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes thats to do with the fact that water molecules are polar so their adesive which enables them to withdraw water and have a constant supply
Rosie18
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Water is "pulled" up the xylem by the water lost through transpiration. The colum of water doesn't break because of the cohesive forces between the water molecules. Hydrogen bonds between indiviual water molecules is the force of attraction. The pulling action of transpiration stretches the water column in the xylem so that it is under tension.

So yeah, thats just a simpler version of what Zwitter Ion said really, but typing it helps my revision too!
Holsy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Rosie18)
Water is "pulled" up the xylem by the water lost through transpiration. The colum of water doesn't break because of the cohesive forces between the water molecules. Hydrogen bonds between indiviual water molecules is the force of attraction. The pulling action of transpiration stretches the water column in the xylem so that it is under tension.

So yeah, thats just a simpler version of what Zwitter Ion said really, but typing it helps my revision too!
Yep, I think that's a great explanation. The adhesive and cohesive forces also help the water move in a continuous column of water called the transpiration stream because of the difference in hydrostatic pressure.
Rosie18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Holsy)
The adhesive and cohesive forces also help the water move in a continuous column of water called the transpiration stream because of the difference in hydrostatic pressure.
Thanks, I'll add that sentence to my notes!
Holsy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks, I'll add that sentence to my notes!
You're welcome.
Rosie18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
While we're on this topic could anyone please explain to me the evidence for the "Root Pressure" theory of transpiration? I only seem to have the limitations in my notes and it came up in a mock exam.
shungun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
is it cohesion-tension

i learnt it as cohesion-adhesion...:rolleyes:
dancinbb
Report 11 years ago
While we're on this topic could anyone please explain to me the evidence for the "Root Pressure" theory of transpiration? I only seem to have the limitations in my notes and it came up in a mock exam.
from my knowledge XD
mineral ions in the soil are actively pumped into the roots, therefore decrease the water potential in the root
water will move in by osmosis, increasing hydrostatic pressure and this pressure causes water to move upwards to leaves,etc.
Rosie18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dancinbb)
mineral ions in the soil are actively pumped into the roots, therefore decrease the water potential in the root
water will move in by osmosis, increasing hydrostatic pressure and this pressure causes water to move upwards to leaves,etc.
Surely that's the theory behind Root pressure, not the evidence supporting it?
Skipper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Surely that's the theory behind Root pressure, not the evidence supporting it?
Isn;t it something along the lines of when you cut the root, sap seeps out because of the pressure? It might not be right as I did my exams last year...
Rosie18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Skipper)
Isn;t it something along the lines of when you cut the root, sap seeps out because of the pressure? It might not be right as I did my exams last year...
Ah that sounds more like it. Thank you
Skipper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ah that sounds more like it. Thank you
You're welcome
hobbs82
Report 10 years ago
I am still a bit unsure. What evidence supports the cohesion theory?
AdamStott64
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hobbs82)
I am still a bit unsure. What evidence supports the cohesion theory?
Lol I'm 4 years late, you've probably got a job and a husband/wife by now. If you're still interested evidence is that if you 'puncture' a tree water doesn't leak out due to the tension, sort of sucking the water in.
also the diameter of the tree decreases in hot weather and fluctuates between day and night (more evaporation of water therefore more transpiration)

Sorry for the delay but I was 13 when you asked.
tara009tara
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
funny thing is that you're 21 now
Curious_boy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Xylem vessels are non living, they work just like any capillary, the adhesion force is between the walls of capillary and water molecule and the cohesion is between water molecules. Further the surface tension helps in transport of water.
eden3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
wow, 9 year old thread!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (135)
52.12%
No (124)
47.88%

Watched Threads