FPTP is increasingly undemocratic. Watch

BeetRoots
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
As political orientations become increasingly fractured and nuanced FPTP is less and less representative of society. Time to revisit some form of PR in my view.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
yep, 100% on board with electoral reform, its an absolute necessity. FPTP just can't keep up with the speed and divergence of ideas that technology is causing.
username4540078
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Of course it is.

The problem is any reform will hit the big parties. Given the choice between democratic reform and clinging onto power, they’ll always go with power.
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I would change the wording though - I don't think its undemocratic, it is a democratic process.. I just think its unrepresentative.

As in, democratic, politically, in its purest form means to let the people vote for who has power in a nation, and every persons voice has equal worth.

Our current system is democratic, though not purely so, but then no nations have a pure democratic system. In ours we restrict who we give a vote to, and we don't have exactly equal worth for each vote, some peoples do end up being worth more or less due to constituency sizes, and FPTP induced safe-seats.

It is still democratic though, by global standards.

I would say a better term for the argument against it, is that its 'unrepresentative'. For example, if the conservative party put up a pig in the next election, and labour put up a chicken, and no other parties ran. The vote would still be democratic in essence, all people with a roughly equal say, would all be able to vote for the next leader.. but it would be vastly unrepresentative of what the people want as their leader (I would hope).

My arguement against FPTP isn't that its undemocratic, its that its increasingly un-representative. It was very represeanttive 50 years ago, but the nation and society has changed since, and the electoral system hasn't. As a result the gap between the people and the choices in front of them has increasingly became muddled and widdened, and given that FPTP activly prohibits new parties from forming and growing, it gives no opertunity for the poeple to actually change the system itself to something that could represent their views..

So they end up with the tyranny of "the best of the worst" type of voting, with no option to say "none of these" and absolutly no option to say "something new please"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (534)
66.42%
No (270)
33.58%

Watched Threads