Uni life based on Nightlife/part time jobs/ diversity etc. Watch

Hippierajput
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Please rank the following cities or Uni based on nightlife , finding part time jobs, diversity , etc...
1.Exeter
2.Cardiff
3.Bristol
4.Norwich
5. Birmingham
Jewelzela
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I can only speak for Cardiff (I'm a third year here)
Nightlife:
Good! Cheap, lots of clubs, the SU is amazing and very very cheap. 1/5 of the population of Cardiff are students, so everything is catered meaning nighclubs of every kind (my friends and I prefer the slightly chiller places, like Live Lounge, Revolucion de Cuba and the many many cocktail bars, but there's loads of gritty nightclubs if that's what you want)
Finding part time jobs:
Slightly harder. The university runs a jobs board which is free to sign up to, and does provide a lot of good one of shifts. Generally if you are seriously searching for a job and have some kind of experience you'll find something, you just might have to apply to a few more places than you're used to. The principality stadium are always employing, and working there means getting paid to see some pretty amazing sports events and concents (I saw the Take That and Spice Girls concerts whilst getting paid for essentially babysitting drunk adults)
Diversity:
Its a capital city, so much more diverse than other areas of wales, but it is no where near places like London or Birmingham. But if you come to Cardiff Uni we have people from pretty much every walk of life, and a society or support system for you to find.
Expense:
Cardiff is considered the cheapest student city in the Uk, with rent in 2nd/3rd year averaging around £3,300 for the entire year (not including bills). The nightlife is cheap, as is the pubic transport etc. There's a lidl right next to the university, and prices are not hiked as in other areas of the UK.
Public amenities:
As a capital city cardiff has all the shops you could ever dream of, plus in the middle of the student area Cathays, there's a second highstreet Albany Road with a load of charity shops and privately owned cafes etc. (Stag Coffee is amazing). Public transport is efficent and runs really late, and we have our own version of the Boris Bikes called NextBikes, which as a university student you get free use of in 30 minute stretches. The train to london is just over 2 hours, and you can get advance tickets for as little as £12 if you book well. We have many touring shows if that's what you're into, and the SU has had major bands such as Panic at the Disco and the Foo Fighters perform there.

Any other questions?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Hippierajput)
Please rank the following cities or Uni based on nightlife , finding part time jobs, diversity , etc...
1.Exeter
2.Cardiff
3.Bristol
4.Norwich
5. Birmingham
Purely my personal opinion (I have visited all these uni cities but not been a student there) - I would say Birmingham is the most diverse and strong on your other factors too, followed by Bristol then Cardiff. Trailing in 4th place is Norwich (fabulous city but not the most diverse) followed by Exeter.
Hippierajput
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Thank you for your time and efforts... Its so helpful for me..As an international student we do panic and get worried..things like this help alot...
Also how would rank cardiff based on employable after course...how tough it is to get job after course in UK specially being an international student compare to other uni like exeter and bristol... By what time people are off the street on an average?? any safety issue?
(Original post by Jewelzela)
I can only speak for Cardiff (I'm a third year here)
Nightlife:
Good! Cheap, lots of clubs, the SU is amazing and very very cheap. 1/5 of the population of Cardiff are students, so everything is catered meaning nighclubs of every kind (my friends and I prefer the slightly chiller places, like Live Lounge, Revolucion de Cuba and the many many cocktail bars, but there's loads of gritty nightclubs if that's what you want)
Finding part time jobs:
Slightly harder. The university runs a jobs board which is free to sign up to, and does provide a lot of good one of shifts. Generally if you are seriously searching for a job and have some kind of experience you'll find something, you just might have to apply to a few more places than you're used to. The principality stadium are always employing, and working there means getting paid to see some pretty amazing sports events and concents (I saw the Take That and Spice Girls concerts whilst getting paid for essentially babysitting drunk adults)
Diversity:
Its a capital city, so much more diverse than other areas of wales, but it is no where near places like London or Birmingham. But if you come to Cardiff Uni we have people from pretty much every walk of life, and a society or support system for you to find.
Expense:
Cardiff is considered the cheapest student city in the Uk, with rent in 2nd/3rd year averaging around £3,300 for the entire year (not including bills). The nightlife is cheap, as is the pubic transport etc. There's a lidl right next to the university, and prices are not hiked as in other areas of the UK.
Public amenities:
As a capital city cardiff has all the shops you could ever dream of, plus in the middle of the student area Cathays, there's a second highstreet Albany Road with a load of charity shops and privately owned cafes etc. (Stag Coffee is amazing). Public transport is efficent and runs really late, and we have our own version of the Boris Bikes called NextBikes, which as a university student you get free use of in 30 minute stretches. The train to london is just over 2 hours, and you can get advance tickets for as little as £12 if you book well. We have many touring shows if that's what you're into, and the SU has had major bands such as Panic at the Disco and the Foo Fighters perform there.

Any other questions?
Hippierajput
Rep:
?
Whats the reason behind exeter being put in last?? Bcos for my course in Finance it is good so if you can elaborate ? Also my first 2 options are Exeter and cardiff...Hows the life in bristol if you can share some light on it??
(Original post by harrysbar)
Purely my personal opinion (I have visited all these uni cities but not been a student there) - I would say Birmingham is the most diverse and strong on your other factors too, followed by Bristol then Cardiff. Trailing in 4th place is Norwich (fabulous city but not the most diverse) followed by Exeter.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Whats the reason behind exeter being put in last?? Bcos for my course in Finance it is good so if you can elaborate ? Also my first 2 options are Exeter and cardiff...Hows the life in bristol if you can share some light on it??
I have no idea about life in Bristol since I have only ever visited it for the day, I just know it is a vibrant and attractive city. My son goes to Exeter so I know it is a good uni but it is a predominantly white and middle class uni and a small city which is why I put it last in terms of diversity and nightlife. Having said that, there are students from all backgrounds happily living and studying there so if they offer the best course, maybe that should be your top priority? You really ought to visit these unis to see for yourself how they compare, if you can.
Hippierajput
Rep:
?
My problem is that m an international student currently living in India..So visiting Uni is not possible hence trying to get all details over the internet..All i heard about Exeter is only one incident about racism bcos of which i cant judge whole uni to be left out..If i hear any more stories than it would be no no...M just confused between cardiff n exeter more..i wanna pick one based on chances to get employed quicker after the course.
I have no idea about life in Bristol since I have only ever visited it for the day, I just know it is a vibrant and attractive city. My son goes to Exeter so I know it is a good uni but it is a predominantly white and middle class uni and a small city which is why I put it last in terms of diversity and nightlife. Having said that, there are students from all backgrounds happily living and studying there so if they offer the best course, maybe that should be your top priority? You really ought to visit these unis to see for yourself how they compare, if you can.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
My problem is that m an international student currently living in India..So visiting Uni is not possible hence trying to get all details over the internet..All i heard about Exeter is only one incident about racism bcos of which i cant judge whole uni to be left out..If i hear any more stories than it would be no no...M just confused between cardiff n exeter more..i wanna pick one based on chances to get employed quicker after the course.
I wouldn't judge the whole uni based on one incident, that wouldn't really be fair to Exeter. But you did specifically ask about diversity, and it is just a fact that Exeter is not as diverse as many other unis. I can't really say anything more on the matter as which uni you should go to is really just personal opinion, and a decision that only you can make. I know that Exeter has a better reputation than Cardiff in the UK and a very proactive careers department which should help with employability, but I haven't looked into the statistics for your particular course - that is something you should do. All the unis you have listed are good ones.
Hippierajput
Rep:
?
Exactly my point too....Thanks for being such a great help...I feel either cardiff or exeter both will be good option..cardiff has good city vibes n social life compare to exeter..while exeter has good over all reputation for being employed and courses...I dont know if its cheap in living expense like what its in cardiff...living exp is lower in cardiff thats what i heard.. Can you put some light on that??
I wouldn't judge the whole uni based on one incident, that wouldn't really be fair to Exeter. But you did specifically ask about diversity, and it is just a fact that Exeter is not as diverse as many other unis. I can't really say anything more on the matter as which uni you should go to is really just personal opinion, and a decision that only you can make. I know that Exeter has a better reputation than Cardiff in the UK and a very proactive careers department which should help with employability, but I haven't looked into the statistics for your particular course - that is something you should do. All the unis you have listed are good ones.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Exactly my point too....Thanks for being such a great help...I feel either cardiff or exeter both will be good option..cardiff has good city vibes n social life compare to exeter..while exeter has good over all reputation for being employed and courses...I dont know if its cheap in living expense like what its in cardiff...living exp is lower in cardiff thats what i heard.. Can you put some light on that??
Exeter's not particularly cheap, so Cardiff would be better in that way.

The trouble is all your unis have their strengths and weaknesses so it's hard to choose what's right for you without visiting. I feel sorry for international students in that way
Jewelzela
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Its generally a fairly safe city (safety in numbers i guess) on Wednesday and Saturday (the two big clubbing nights) people are often out until as late as 5am, but the rest of the week is a bit quieter. The main library is 24hrs ans I've never felt unsafe walking home from it late at night.
In regards employability, I think that depends on your course and what you want to do. Cardiff is a capital city meaning lots of opportunities not available in smaller towns, and the university has a very good jobs board for graduate roles which are advertised directly to students.
Thank you for your time and efforts... Its so helpful for me..As an international student we do panic and get worried..things like this help alot...
Also how would rank cardiff based on employable after course...how tough it is to get job after course in UK specially being an international student compare to other uni like exeter and bristol... By what time people are off the street on an average?? any safety issue?
Hippierajput
Rep:
?
M going to do MSc in Finance...fees difference in cardiff n exeter is of around 1000 - 1500 pounds...exeter being highest between both....
Its generally a fairly safe city (safety in numbers i guess) on Wednesday and Saturday (the two big clubbing nights) people are often out until as late as 5am, but the rest of the week is a bit quieter. The main library is 24hrs ans I've never felt unsafe walking home from it late at night.
In regards employability, I think that depends on your course and what you want to do. Cardiff is a capital city meaning lots of opportunities not available in smaller towns, and the university has a very good jobs board for graduate roles which are advertised directly to students.
Jewelzela
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Our business school (which finance is in) is very good with employability: they have workshops and dedicated employability officers.
Finance/accounting/buisness degrees generally have a very high employability rate, but most of the jobs are in London (but the trains are good so you can easily do placements etc)
M going to do MSc in Finance...fees difference in cardiff n exeter is of around 1000 - 1500 pounds...exeter being highest between both....
Hippierajput
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
That helps alot....Thanks for all detailed info.....
Our business school (which finance is in) is very good with employability: they have workshops and dedicated employability officers.
Finance/accounting/buisness degrees generally have a very high employability rate, but most of the jobs are in London (but the trains are good so you can easily do placements etc)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (405)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1038)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (484)
22.2%
It was TERRIBLE (253)
11.61%

Watched Threads