The Student Room Group

Holiday pay on probation period

In 2 weeks I am going on holiday, which was booked before I had got this job I’m at currently. So I’m on probation period at the moment and I’m not going to get holiday pay, the company says they don’t pay staff holiday pay during the probabtion period. Is this right? Because I don’t really know and it’s not very fair because I’ve been trying so hard to learn this new job quickly and the pay is already crap for what we have to do!!!!
Should I be getting paid?
It says this is the staff handbook so it’s not like it’s a grudge against me or anything.....
Original post by raspberry.x
In 2 weeks I am going on holiday, which was booked before I had got this job I’m at currently. So I’m on probation period at the moment and I’m not going to get holiday pay, the company says they don’t pay staff holiday pay during the probabtion period. Is this right? Because I don’t really know and it’s not very fair because I’ve been trying so hard to learn this new job quickly and the pay is already crap for what we have to do!!!!
Should I be getting paid?
It says this is the staff handbook so it’s not like it’s a grudge against me or anything.....

Each workplace has its own policies and rules.
But if it says in your contract or work handbook, then thats their rules unfortunately. Theres not much you can do to change it.
I assume they mean you will still accrue holiday during the probation but they won’t let you use it (or not more than you have earned)
Legally they can instruct you on which exact days you must take for holidays if they wanted so it’s okay for them to refuse you holiday if they want as long as they let you take it at some point in the year. It’s not great for morale but it’s legal.
It's quite a common practise for companies to not let staff use holiday pay in their probation period, probably because they won't have accrued enough to be able to take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending