The Student Room Group

24hrs till exam never revised, how to I make the most of my cramming time?

OCR A Chemistry paper 2. HELP!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go through everything you don't know. Try to memorise it all
Try learn all the reactions and their mechanisms since knowing that lets you ******** your way through a lot of the paper. They're all on this if it helps. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/359182-organic-synthesis-reaction-pathways.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi-84X7i9_iAhUztHEKHe6SDhAQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2Vdl3Jq6HeXMv5u-YZ8-KS&cshid=1560175897262

Don't stay up to late. Sleep early, then wake up at a reasonable time and do at least 2 of the past papers in morning since the paper is in the afternoon.

That's my plan anyway lol I'm on the same boat
same omg help
Original post by sachinihimara

- Go through what your weakest at first and make sure you know just in case it pops up.
- Next go through the available past papers, highlight the topics you did bad on and revise over them.
- Lastly skim over all the other topics.
- Finally make sure you get atleast 2 hours sleep before the exam and try to exchange questions & answers to get a gist of what to write while waiting to go into the exam centre with your classmates.

TIP: When you start the paper skip through the hard questions and choose the easy ones, then come back to the hard ones later on. (If i did this I can say with the utmost guarantee that I would've achieved more marks for my biology paper because the last question was one I knew how to attain full marks in but ran out of time to do T^T.)
Reply 5
If anyone wants to give tips like this for AQA Biology I'm all ears hahah
Reply 6
I did this paper last year. was in a similar boat as I focused on inorganic revision so much. just make sure you know this off by heart:
https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/359182-organic-synthesis-reaction-pathways.pdf

and you should be ok.

Seneca learning
Reply 8
Bring down the grade boundaries for us. Jokes. Look at the machemguy predictions (he was very accurate for paper1) and hope they all come up.
Do the chemistry past papers and the specimen paper( Specimen paper is quite hard). Organic is mostly memorisation so look through your books and draw the organic synthesis map. If u can sleep at 10 and wake up early tomorrow you could do more revision. Good luck.
Wish you the best of luck!! you must be like one of those clever people who probably just gets the flow chart/ problem solving time questions on paper 2 Like whats been said already, its literally all past paper practice for paper 2 tbh. I haven't fully revised it in a long time, but past papers helped me to identify the different type of practical questions that could be asked and just knowing the main ones: i.e: chromatography: GC, TLC, when to use recrystallisation, purification and filtration. And of course the NMR spec questions at the end, literally go through like 2 or 3 questions on those in the textbook, because they're always quite hard if you don't know what you're looking out for. Practice using the flow chart and writing actual equations out rather than just knowing the reagents and conditions only. Also, the sample paper is actually really good, so i think its worth the 1.30/2 hrs it may take you if you time your self, you might get it done in less than 2hr and 15 mins, but obvs don't rush it all tonight!!Nonetheless, don't panic !Best of luck tomorrow, everyone !!!

Start by going through condensed chapter summaries on physics and maths tutor.(btw for anyone else-life saver for normal end of topic tests too) https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/gcse-ocr-a/ These are quite short and you should get through them pretty quickly. THEN.. LEARN FORMULAES. Then try to go over past papers you have done like in class eg class tests and try and understand ur mistakes. you won't have time to do proper practice papers but just look at questions and mark scheme to see what they look for to award marks.
good resource but i don't think this person has time
Original post by Student040803
Seneca learning
lmao I relate to this thread too much guess who had four days but was ill so could do NO revision - I've only just started to feel better and am now in the process of cram revising for module 6 as I've neglected it lmao rip
Lol I too had 4 days but after 5 exams and with pms symptoms I lost all motivation and now am relying on my subconscious and what it heard during all the lessons I daydreamed through this year smh
Original post by SPandurangan
lmao I relate to this thread too much guess who had four days but was ill so could do NO revision - I've only just started to feel better and am now in the process of cram revising for module 6 as I've neglected it lmao rip
any of y'all fancy putting my name and candidate no. on your paper? jk but also not
The 1 or 2 day prep is a method I often employ, and i'm a university student.

The more pointless stuff, the modules to make up credits, etc.... I give that space in my brain for 24 hours, and then usually forget it again afterwards. You can memorise a surprising amount of information for a short period of time, and I find myself pulling things out of my head that i'd read the night before that I definitely didn't know 48 hours previous. If it's a written exam, taking the opinions of authors of articles and journals instead of taking the time to form your own will save you some time, whilst making it look like you've delved deeper into the subject than just the lecture materials. If you're able to predict the topics that'll come up on the exam to a certain degree, you can nail key points, terms, arguments, names, etc. and just find ways to drop them in and make them relevant to the question. You get ticks just for referring to that type of stuff.

I love my course, but like many courses there's stuff that either won't need, or don't need to know in such detail. I prefer to focus my time on the things I will need.
(edited 4 years ago)

dont revise lol - who acc gaf
This makes so much sense. Eg I love bio and all but I don't care about plant hormones so learning it in the 10 minutes before the exam and then answering those questions first makes a lot more sense than continuously revising for them over months and months.
Original post by Quixote.
The 1 or 2 day prep is a method I often employ, and i'm a university student.

The more pointless stuff, the modules to make up credits, etc.... I give that space in my brain for 24 hours, and then usually forget it again afterwards. You can memorise a surprising amount of information for a short period of time, and I find myself pulling things out of my head that i'd read the night before that I definitely didn't know 48 hours previous. If it's a written exam, taking the opinions of authors of articles and journals instead of taking the time to form your own will save you some time, whilst making it look like you've delved deeper into the subject than just the lecture materials. If you're able to predict the topics that'll come up on the exam to a certain degree, you can nail key points, terms, arguments, names, etc. and just find ways to drop them in and make them relevant to the question. You get ticks just for referring to that type of stuff.

I love my course, but like many courses there's stuff that either won't need, or don't need to know in such detail. I prefer to focus my time on the things I will need.
Original post by pseudoglue
This makes so much sense. Eg I love bio and all but I don't care about plant hormones so learning it in the 10 minutes before the exam and then answering those questions first makes a lot more sense than continuously revising for them over months and months.

That method doesn't work, the best way to guarantee that information is stored is to go over the material multiple times at different periods of time. I wished I'd have known back then but if you were to study hormones for example you'd do this: 5 minutes two months ago, 2 minutes 5 weeks ago and then 3 minutes now. Then you could reinforce this further by making questions up about the topic and trying to answer them.

This could be applied to all subjects and you'd reduce your workload massively, going through the specification one stage at a time and revisiting it every now and again. Doing this while asking yourself questions about the topics; you could even predict what questions examiners may ask.
Well good luck with that...

Quick Reply

Latest