The Student Room Group

Magic: the Gathering Core Set 2020

Scroll to see replies

Planeswalker decks confirmed to feature Ajani, Mu Yanling (cool choice), Sorin (hopefully means more vampires), Chandra (obviously) and Vivien.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/core-set-2020-promos-and-packaging-2019-06-17

This doesn't *necessarily* mean that the main set Planeswalkers will be the same characters (Dominaria gave us Chandra, Bold Pyromancer as a PW deck card, despite her not showing up elsewhere in the set), but other cards (e.g. Flood of Tears) make it seem as though Yanling at least is a certainty.
Glad to see Pacifism back in Standard; shame that they didn't bring back one of MTG's greatest card art and flavour text combos in the process, though. :frown:

mir-32-pacifism.jpg
Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer - Could be decent in a Blue / White-Blue flyers deck, though I'm unlikely to use her much.
Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord is going to be AMAZING... until Ixalan rotates out. We'd better be getting some cool new vampires after that, the Ravnican ones aren't anything worth building a deck around.
The enemy colour scry lands from Theros block are making a comeback... meh, no replacement for the check lands in most decks, though they're probably decent on turn 1. :dontknow:

I like Fry, strikes me as the perfect Teferi killer. :coma: Big Teferi, that is, due to babby Teferi nerfing all instants. :grumble: Useless card if your opponent isn't playing those colours though, so likely sideboard material.

Marauding Raptor definitely has a place in my dinosaur deck for the next 3 months; as with Sorin, It'll be interesting to see whether it still has any real use after rotation. :holmes: Only downside is that it would kill Otepec Huntmaster if the latter is played second; the raptor offers the same 1 mana discount, so maybe I wouldn't need the Huntmaster, but that means saying goodbye to haste. :hmmmm2:

Another dinosaur that I expect to use, but in my mono Black zombie deck: Rotting Regisaur! :zomg: A 7/6 for 3 mana, which makes you discard a card (not always a disadvantage in Black) at the beginning of your upkeep (so before the draw step)... and if you have nothing to discard, then there's no downside. I like this!

I have my eye on Leyline of Abundance for my elf deck; don't know what I'd throw out to make room for it, though.

It has also been pointed out that this forms a never-ending loop if combined with Polyraptor, unless you have a way of dealing with Marauding once you've made enough clones. :zomg:
Bloodthirsty Aerialist - tougher, flying, Black vampire version of Ajani's Pridemate! :zomg:
(edited 4 years ago)
Highlights:

Elvish Reclaimer could be amazing in 3+ colour decks. Chucks lands you don't need, fetches lands you do need, then gets bigger.

Shifting Ceratops is another great dinosaur. :coma: LOVE big creatures that can't be countered, and that choice of reach, trample or haste (or multiple, if you have the mana) is so versatile.

Woodland Champion could be very dangerous in Selesnya. Also, it says 'tokens', not 'creature tokens', so combos with Treasures as well. :colone:

Cavalier of Night... shame about the BBB in the mana cost, as I'd like to run this in my Knights or Orzhov decks, but knowing my luck I'd start each game with this and a bunch of Plains in my hand. :moon:

Finally, War of the Spark Arlinn could actually be useful outside of Limited, as this set has a number of wolves. Wolfrider's Saddle from a couple of days back is now joined by Nightpack Ambusher (flashy Wolf Lord!), Wolfkin Bond (reprint from Eldritch Moon) and the adorable Ferocious Pup. :love:
(edited 4 years ago)
Lotus Field! :zomg:

It has been pointed out that, with a Turn 1 mana dork (Llanowar Elves), Turn 2 Blood Sun, then Turn 3 Lotus Field... the latter would enter untapped, and you wouldn't have to sacrifice any lands. :zomg: Sure, it also loses Hexproof, but Standard's main land killer (Field of Ruin) is similarly nerfed.

Then you drop Carnage Tyrant. :coma:

Chances of that perfect starting hand happening are pretty low, but the fact that it is even possible in Standard scares me. Core Set 2020 seems SO much more powerful than 2019, which hopefully means Standard as a whole will creep up a little in the coming year (because a Standard where the likes of Magma Spray and Pacifism were considered OP is far less interesting).

Don't know if/how I'd use Lotus Field myself just yet, but I'll certainly be keeping an eye on what others do with it, for inspiration.
(edited 4 years ago)
More Elementals: Leafkin Druid adds two Green mana if you control 4+ creatures (or two creatures, and an Elemental-making Chandra :colone:). Lavakin Brawler gains +1/+0 when attacking for every Elemental you control (including itself, and the two from Elemental-making Chandra :colone:), and Thicket Crasher gives all your Elementals trample. Not bad for commons, I certainly have plans for the mana dork, while the others will have a definite place in Limited if nothing else.
Continuing with its 'better than Core 2019' theme, life-gain taplands are back~ On its own, gaining one life is certainly nothing special, but it'll combo with the likes of Ajani's Pridemate or the new Bloodthirsty Aerialist. And even without that, it's one life more than the other tap lands give you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Sephara, Sky's Blade... 7/7 flying lifelinker for potentially 1 White mana, thanks to a convoke-like effect whose only downside is that it needs creatures with flying.

THIS SET :zomg:
Kethis, the Hidden Hand is an interesting card; all these wedge legendaries seem more suited to Commander than to Standard Constructed or Limited, but even so I'll have to look into what other cool legendaries are available in Abzan colours.
preeordercore2020.jpg

I caved in and pre-ordered the set on Arena. :colondollar: I almost did the same for War of the Spark, but resisted; couldn't do the same for a Chandra-themed set with such overpowered cards as these.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
preeordercore2020.jpg

I caved in and pre-ordered the set on Arena. :colondollar: I almost did the same for War of the Spark, but resisted; couldn't do the same for a Chandra-themed set with such overpowered cards as these.

It is tempting...
Quiet day for spoilers. First up, the non-PW deck Vivien... very strange card. +1 loyalty giving +1/+1 counters and trample isn't bad, and the one-way fight for -3 might come in handy depending on the circumstances, but her ultimate is -5 to put any creature card from outside the game (i.e your sideboard for Arena) into your hand. Plus side is that you can load your sideboard with niche answers to troublesome decks... so long as those answers are in creature form. Seems a high cost to pay for one creature, which may well be countered or killed the moment you cast it, so aside from Shifting Ceratops or Carnage Tyrant (the latter of which rotates soon), nothing springs to mind in mono Green*. Given her 1GGG mana cost, I'd be reluctant to play her in any multi-coloured decks. :s:

Second up: Bloodsoaked Altar. Is it just me, or does this card suck? 2 life, sacrifice a creature AND discard a card (on top of paying its high mana cost to get it out to begin with) for a 5/5 demon, which again your opponent might just instantly kill/bounce/exile. Even in a deck which profits from you sacrificing creatures, this seems like a bad investment. Don't think I'd even play it in Limited.

*EDIT - Maybe Ghalta or Impervious Greatwurm (then use her +1 ability on the latter next turn for a 17/17 trampler)? Both really expensive cards that you probably wouldn't want in your starting hand, but this method would allow you to grab them at a time when you know you'll be able to cast them. :holmes:

Original post by artful_lounger
It is tempting...

In case you haven't purchased anything on there before, it's worth noting that there's an extra 'tax' charge on top of the stated prices for purchases on Arena's store (for this preorder, it's $10), which is only mentioned right at the last confirm purchase screen, after you've gone through several Paypal screens showing the price without it. :grumble: The total price itself doesn't bother me, but I wish they'd be upfront about it, preferably in the store itself, or at least before you provide your payment details...
(edited 4 years ago)
Only two again: "Legendary Hydration" (temporary name) is a HUGE Green creature, who makes other Hydras cheaper (largely irrelevant in Standard. outside of Hydroid Krasis), and who MAY fight other creatures whenever ANY creature you control becomes the target of ANY spell (including your own... so add +1/+1 counters and go wild!) Nice bomb in limited, and the interesting protection mechanic makes me tempted to experiment with it in constructed too.

"Rainy Knight" (temporary name) is the kind of bomb that could even make me want to play mono blue in limited. Loving all those abilities! Highly doubt there are enough other blue elementals or knights to build anything around outside of that, though,
Original post by AngryJellyfish
In case you haven't purchased anything on there before, it's worth noting that there's an extra 'tax' charge on top of the stated prices for purchases on Arena's store (for this preorder, it's $10), which is only mentioned right at the last confirm purchase screen, after you've gone through several Paypal screens showing the price without it. :grumble: The total price itself doesn't bother me, but I wish they'd be upfront about it, preferably in the store itself, or at least before you provide your payment details...

Hmm, good to know; I did buy stuff in the closed beta, but haven't since then (I just used all my refunded gems on sealed runs for the last sealed event :tongue:) and didn't remember that :holmes: I'll see how I feel when I get paid on Wednesday :biggrin:

That Rainy Knight card looks awesome too...5 for a 5/5 flyer and you get to refresh your hand when you cast it and you get a free scry 2 when it dies to give you some draw choice...the only downside is 3U in the cost so it's pretty much restricted to mono-blue or run the risk of being a dead draw :s-smilie:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
That Rainy Knight card looks awesome too...5 for a 5/5 flyer and you get to refresh your hand when you cast it and you get a free scry 2 when it dies to give you some draw choice...the only downside is 3U in the cost so it's pretty much restricted to mono-blue or run the risk of being a dead draw :s-smilie:

It is good, but I tend not to think of mono blue winning via big stompy creatures. Usually small, annoying ones with evasion, and a ton of counterspells + hexproof, as is popular on Arena at the moment, anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest