Magic: the Gathering Core Set 2020 Watch

AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Embodiment of Agonies - another weird, weird card. Aren't Core sets supposed to be basic, and newbie-friendly? Feels like a Modern Horizons reject to me. :p:

Has the potential to be HUGE. And if it isn't huge, as long as there's something in your graveyard to prevent it from dying instantly, it's still a flying deathtoucher.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
"Sir, are you aware there are men on the side of your hippogriff?" :rofl: Scryfall placeholder name aside, I need this for my Boros deck. Currently I have Hero of Precinct One to create soldier tokens, with virtually every other card being Red and White, so the potential of doubling them with this + making them big with mentor appeals greatly! :coma:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Highlights:

Tale's End... is actually more of a lowlight for me, as someone who hates counterspells. But, definitely a card to watch out for. Again, countering creature abilities isn't that common, neither is specifically targeting legends. R&D have had some real fun with this set! :zomg: [EDIT] Wait, this combos with Lotus Field too, preventing the land sacrifice, right? :eek4:

Brought Back: Returns two permanents to the battlefield tapped for just 2 White mana, the only downside being that they had to have entered the graveyard from there that same turn. Combos nicely with Lotus Field, assuming the two lands you sacrificed (or some other source) can tap for White.

Gods Willing: Great, more protection and scry fodder for the Feather Boros decks. :unimpressed:

Lightning Stormkin: *might* have a place in my Izzet Wizards deck? I only run Goblin Electromancers (and a ton of instants and sorceries, naturally) at 2 mana currently; these guys might make it a bit more aggro, as they of course combo nicely with Adeliz.

Thunderkin Awakener: Make it big, bring back big elementals from the dead, then maybe benefit from the sacrifice effect? Another potentially good rare.
Last edited by AngryJellyfish; 1 month ago
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Highlights:

Grafdigger's Cage is back; RIP graveyard and library shenanigans.

MTG now has the Bag of Holding of D&D fame! :zomg: Not sure that it's a card that I'd use, but someone will find a way to break it.

I want to like Undead Servant, as any new way of making new zombies appeals to me, but the high mana cost means that I'm unlikely to put it in my main deck.

Pack Mastiff is a decent Red Bearhound. Could see aggro red decks grabbing four of these in drafts.

Battalion Foot Soldier is a functional reprint of Ixalan's Legion Conquistador, though a human as opposed to a vampire. Again, not terrible in limited.
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Many, many reprints! Plenty of the basic staples and draft fodder from the current standard (Shock, Duress, Mind Rot, Plummet, Epicure of Blood, Greenwood Sentinel, Frilled Sea Serpent etc) will survive rotation. Also Fire Elemental and Air Elemental, though they might be more relevant than usual due to the focus on elemental tribal.

More vampire support: New lord in Thirsting Bloodlord... bit expensive. :s: Savage Gorger, I like!

Warden of Evos Isle is a reprint, but from way back, and this is my first time seeing it. Makes flying creatures cheaper, a welcome addition since a flying deck is something I very much want to make. I've seen a fair few people playing Blue & White flyers on Arena today actually, they may well be preparing for the same thing.

Faerie Miscreant wouldn't be a terrible one drop in said deck, with its chance of drawing you a card for cheap.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of all: this set has basic lands! Multiple different ones with different art styles, in all five colours! :zomg: :p:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
...and that's the lot, apparently! Notable absences include Llanowar Elves (RIP all my green ramp decks), Lightning Strike and Opt.

So, what are the main cards that you're looking forward to trying out (or using again, in the case of the reprints)? Which cards were you hoping would survive rotation, that unfortunately weren't included here?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Having faced another one of those infernal psychic corrosion mill decks, I cannot wait for M19 to rotate and hopefully they will never bring that damn card back again...

On an unrelated note, that Kykar, Wind's Fury looks neat; that plus Murmuring Mystic would be a very nice combo, although the three colours on Kykar may be a bit awkward in standard. Might be nice as a commander too, giving both the option to generate evasive attackers/cheap blockers or to use them to generate mana. Rienne, Angel of Rebirth also looks neat for commander.

Bag of Holding looks pretty great to me, since there doesn't seem to be as much artifact removal now that Abrade is gone...also a nice functional replacement for Bomat courier in a red aggro deck (which doesn't seem as prevalent now as it did before M19) I guess?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Having faced another one of those infernal psychic corrosion mill decks, I cannot wait for M19 to rotate and hopefully they will never bring that damn card back again...
I don't know, there was always something quite enjoyable to me about facing those decks with my Golgari Saprolings deck, as I keep a few Gaea's Blessings in there. Admittedly, the introduction of War of the Spark's Ashiok made that harder to pull off... also, WAR Jace, which allows the opponent to win by milling themselves...

On an unrelated note, that Kykar, Wind's Fury looks neat; that plus Murmuring Mystic would be a very nice combo, although the three colours on Kykar may be a bit awkward in standard. Might be nice as a commander too, giving both the option to generate evasive attackers/cheap blockers or to use them to generate mana. Rienne, Angel of Rebirth also looks neat for commander.
Yep, that's the reason I'm looking at a flyer deck. :coma: Arguably, one of the only wedge mythics that actually (to my eyes, though I'm often wrong) looks playable in Standard. If all those Grixis Zombie Bolas decks are managing three colours with ease, I'll give it a go. Certainly for the next three months, having the check lands, shock lands and scry lands could make it easier.

Bag of Holding looks pretty great to me, since there doesn't seem to be as much artifact removal now that Abrade is gone...also a nice functional replacement for Bomat courier in a red aggro deck (which doesn't seem as prevalent now as it did before M19) I guess?
I could definitely see it in mono Red aggro, to clear the top of the library for Experimental Frenzy... there's a deck that really didn't need further buffing. :moon:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Stuck at work while Core Set 2020 launches on Arena. :bebored: Sounds like I'll be greeted by some radical changes when I do eventually boot it up later, though!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...a-june-27-2019

Biggest change is the removal of the weekly rewards (glad I already got my 3 WOTS boosters on Sunday/Monday, in case the removal is instant!) - does sound as though the new system will offer more prizes, though how easy it'll be to grind towards those higher levels remains to be seen.

I'd hoped to put all the gems I'd saved into Sealed games over the next week, but the introduction of that 'Mastery Pass' with its extra rewards seems like a must-have... and this is how such games succeed in convincing free-to-play users to cough up their money, I guess. :giggle: I do like that if you buy it later in the season, it retroactively gives you all the premium rewards you could have gotten, though. Perhaps I'll wait.

Being able to draft Core 2020 from its official release right through to the release of the next set is also fantastic news, at least while I'm building up my pool of these new cards; the fact that we'll still have rotating drafts of other sets as well should ensure that things don't get too stale/repetitive. Shame to hear that Ixalan and Dominaria won't be getting any more events over the next 3 months, but with rotation approaching this is understandable.

Not really related to M20, but on the subject of rotation: our new Arena eternal format will be called Historic! Historic being newer than Modern is going to confuse a few newbies, no doubt. :p: No early plans for a ranked ladder in the format, hopefully that will change going forward. Khaladesh and Amonkhet are confirmed to be returning... but not immediately. I can understand this, dropping four old sets at the same time as one new set in October would really stretch people's time and resources. Dropping them one at a time in the months between releases of new Standard sets is how I'd do it. Either way, I'm just glad that I may get a chance to play them after all, even if they're horrifically broken by most accounts.

I love the London Mulligan, based on my brief use of it during that one War of the Spark Chronicles event - being able to see a full hand of seven cards each time and having the choice of which one(s) to lose is MUCH better than committing to a dodgy hand of 4-6 and hoping for a lucky scry... and for those who do like scrying, there's always the Theros Temples. :yep:

Ember cat! :emog:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
My fun, MTG-filled evening is currently on hold, due to severe server maintenance issues. :indiff: I'm playing Core 2020 today, even if I have to stay up until 4 AM to do so! :shakecane:

...okay, that'd technically be playing it tomorrow, but you know what I mean! :shakecane:
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Finally managed to get in, at 1:45 AM-ish... a sufficient number of MTG games have now been played. Only got 4 out of 15 daily prizes, didn't get to open any of my pre-ordered or prize boosters, and haven't had the chance to look into the new mastery system properly, that all went out of the window. But I got to play games with the new cards, and that's the main thing.

...too bad my Sealed event packs were full of complete garbage (Chandra's Regulator with no Chandra or decent Elementals, Temple of Mystery with no decent Elementals, a bunch of situationally good cards that alone wouldn't win me the game (Brought Back, Leyline of the Void & Scheming Symmetry) and Loxodon Lifechanter, the best of the bunch). Tried to make three colour (Temur) Elementals work at first, but that was awful. Rebuilt an R/W deck with no real strategy, just because I needed to cast spells in those colours for my daily... got one win. :proud: After following that up with a 2nd loss, tried one more time with a W/B 'lifegain matters' deck, but got screwed over by an opponent who managed to get all the flyers and all the flying buff cards. :indiff: 1-3 overall. :king3: Pretty much every card I opened got used in at least one of my three configurations, so at least I'm familiar with them all now? :laugh:

Now, I shall sleep, and look forward to tomorrow evening (this evening?) when I'll be able to do all the stuff I'd hoped to do today (yesterday?) :goodnight:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (180)
12.78%
Excited (116)
8.24%
Worried (264)
18.75%
Terrified (328)
23.3%
Meh (113)
8.03%
Confused (33)
2.34%