Physics doubt - URGENT!!!

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Oakenari
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Question: A diffraction grating is used to measure the wavelength of monochromatic light, as shown in the diagram. (not present). The spacing of the slits in the grating is 1.00x10^-6m. The angle between the first order diffraction maxima is 70.0 degrees. What is the wavelength of the light?
A 287nm
B 470nm
C 574nm
D 940nm
Answer: C
I'm unsure about how they got this answer. Can anyone help me please? I have my exam tomorrow.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Oakenari)
Question: A diffraction grating is used to measure the wavelength of monochromatic light, as shown in the diagram. (not present). The spacing of the slits in the grating is 1.00x10^-6m. The angle between the first order diffraction maxima is 70.0 degrees. What is the wavelength of the light?
A 287nm
B 470nm
C 574nm
D 940nm
Answer: C
I'm unsure about how they got this answer. Can anyone help me please? I have my exam tomorrow.
You just need to apply the diffraction grating formula:
d sin θ = n λ
where d = 1.00x10^-6m,
θ = 35 degrees = 70/2
n = 1.

https://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/topic...difraction.htm
Oakenari
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you. That makes much more sense to me. My mistake was with the angle.
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
You just need to apply the diffraction grating formula:
d sin θ = n λ
where d = 1.00x10^-6m,
θ = 35 degrees = 70/2
n = 1.

https://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/topic...difraction.htm
scotfield12
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
A parallel beam of red light of wavelength 630 nm is incident normally (900) on a diffraction grating of 450 lines per millimetre.Calculate the number of principal bright fringes observed.help please
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Skully -_-)
d sinθ = n λ ; d=1.00 x 10–6 m and θ=70°/2 = 35° (angle between the first order maxima is 70° so the angle between n=0 and n=1 is 35°) and n=1 –> 1.00 x 10-6 x sin 35 = 1 λ –> λ= 5.74 x 10-7 m (3 s.f.) = 574 nm.Option C is the correct answer.
Do not give full answers to threads
And don't necropost them, either.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
27.96%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.33%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (9)
9.68%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.23%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.38%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
13.98%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.3%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.15%

Watched Threads