Law school Vs B Tec Watch

frank.ie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Long story short, after a hellish year and what my tutors describe as a lot of ‘extenuating circumstances’, I’m facing a cross roads at the end of year 12.

Among other reasons, I hate my current a levels with a passion, and i just know that i’m not getting anywhere with them. It’s hard admitting defeat, but i want good grades and i need a fresh start.

Essentially, i have two options:

1. Restart year 12 on three different a levels. I’m considering politics, law, criminology, and business to choose from. I would leave with 3 a levels, core maths, and an EPQ in 2021.

2. Continue with one of my current a levels that i’m doing well in (media), do a fast track politics a level, and B Tec law. This mean i’d finish with 2 a levels and a b tec, and then core maths and my EPQ in 2020.

There’s pros and cons on both options, but i’m just wondering how I would fair out applying to law if i chose option 2.

My tutor thinks i’d have a good shot at a D* (fingers crossed) in B Tec law, an A in media, and then play it by ear in Politics.

Would having an extensive voluntary work background, and work experience help in getting into one of the bigger ‘civic’ unis? Or would it be a straight no because of the B tec?

I think i’m going to send a load of emails to unis to see what they say also.

I just don’t want to make the wrong decision by being uninformed.

tldr: is b tec law a deal breaker for a russel group uni?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
claireestelle
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by frank.ie)
Long story short, after a hellish year and what my tutors describe as a lot of ‘extenuating circumstances’, I’m facing a cross roads at the end of year 12.

Among other reasons, I hate my current a levels with a passion, and i just know that i’m not getting anywhere with them. It’s hard admitting defeat, but i want good grades and i need a fresh start.

1. Restart year 12 on three different a levels. I’m considering politics, law, criminology, and business to choose from. I would leave with 3 a levels, core maths, and an EPQ in 2021.

2. Continue with one of my current a levels that i’m doing well in (media), do a fast track politics a level, and B Tec law. This mean i’d finish with 2 a levels and a b tec, and then core maths and my EPQ in 2020.

There’s pros and cons on both options, but i’m just wondering how I would fair out applying to law if i chose option 2.

My tutor thinks i’d have a good shot at a D* (fingers crossed) in B Tec law, an A in media, and then play it by ear in Politics.

Would having an extensive voluntary work background, and work experience help in getting into one of the bigger ‘civic’ unis? Or would it be a straight no because of the B tec?

it could be a deal breaker for quite a few unis, see what responses you get from your emails
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I think you would be safer having a fresh start and taking 3 new A levels, but it's sensible of you to be emailing the unis you are interested in to see what they say. For law degrees generally,unis are less interested in work experience and more interested in applicants having 3 good A levels
Admit-One
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

You'd definitely be considered for Law by at least one RG Uni with a combination of AL and BTECs. As above, this will be case by case between Uni's so you're doing the right thing checking with them first before making any decisions.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You have done the right thing by contacting the unis. Unis generally accept btecs although some may not for Law. I have a couple of other concerns. Media is a subject not liked by some universities and some will only accept it as a 3rd A level. Secondly Btecs come in different types. Some class as 1,2 or 3 A levels and sometimes they class as 1 year and are not acceptable as an A level. Usually if you do a btec over a year it isnt a full A level. Youve struggled doing 3 A levels over a year and now your thinking of 5 Media year 2 Politics Years 1 and 2 and btec years 1 and 2 in addition to the EPQ and Core Maths. I think you are asking too much of yourself.

I would have thought restarting year 12 would be your better bet and looking into 1 of 2 options.
1 taking 3 A levels that you prefer. Do you really need an EPQ or Core Maths. If you have GCSE Maths it will be pointless. Law courses dont look for anything other than GCSE Maths. As far as an Epq is concerned do you really need it especially given the problems you have had.
2 You could try an extended Btec. It would need to be in an appropriate subject and business is the most likely subject. Check the entry requirements of each university to ensure they accept this.
3. Many leading universities require LNAT for Law and taking this would be more beneficial than EPQ and Core Maths

Birmingham university
Preferred subjects:
We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:
Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development

BTEC Extended Diploma in the following subject areas will be considered: Business and Law. Grades required - D*D*D* and distinctions in all units. Other BTEC Extended Diplomas may be considered if offered alongside an A level in one of our preferred subjects.
frank.ie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You have done the right thing by contacting the unis. Unis generally accept btecs although some may not for Law. I have a couple of other concerns. Media is a subject not liked by some universities and some will only accept it as a 3rd A level. Secondly Btecs come in different types. Some class as 1,2 or 3 A levels and sometimes they class as 1 year and are not acceptable as an A level. Usually if you do a btec over a year it isnt a full A level. Youve struggled doing 3 A levels over a year and now your thinking of 5 Media year 2 Politics Years 1 and 2 and btec years 1 and 2 in addition to the EPQ and Core Maths. I think you are asking too much of yourself.

I would have thought restarting year 12 would be your better bet and looking into 1 of 2 options.
1 taking 3 A levels that you prefer. Do you really need an EPQ or Core Maths. If you have GCSE Maths it will be pointless. Law courses dont look for anything other than GCSE Maths. As far as an Epq is concerned do you really need it especially given the problems you have had.
2 You could try an extended Btec. It would need to be in an appropriate subject and business is the most likely subject. Check the entry requirements of each university to ensure they accept this.
3. Many leading universities require LNAT for Law and taking this would be more beneficial than EPQ and Core Maths

Birmingham university
Preferred subjects:
We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:
Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development

BTEC Extended Diploma in the following subject areas will be considered: Business and Law. Grades required - D*D*D* and distinctions in all units. Other BTEC Extended Diplomas may be considered if offered alongside an A level in one of our preferred subjects.
I see what you’re saying. To be honest, this year has gone to pot because of multiple family issues, rather than a lack of skill or knowledge of the subjects, so i’m not particularly worried about whether i can handle it or not, if that makes sense. The workload was manageable, but my heart wasn’t in it with everything going on.

For the unis i’ve looked at, the ones that specify on a level courses seem to place media in their A Block of subjects which i’m quite surprised at.

I’m wanting to drop core maths, it’s essentially pointless and just taking up room on my timetables, however my college are very pushy on taking it, particularly if you took subjects that are facilitating for it (so sciences and social sciences etc). As for my EPQ, i’ve only got to write the final draft, so i don’t want to just give it up now so close to finishing.

As far as i’m aware, i’m being offered ‘Certificate and Extended Certificate in Applied Law’, apparently it should take two years, but we squeeze it into one. I’m not particularly clued up on b-tecs having only been suggested one a few days ago, so i’m not sure.

I’ve only actually seen one uni that asked for the LNAT, which i think was Nottingham.

Thanks for the really thorough response!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...ands/btec.html

This will give you more information on btecs. Most universities accept them. Many universities require LNAT including Bristol but Exeter amongst others dont. I think you would be better off resitting whether you take Btec or A Levels or a mixture of both. Effectively taking 5 A level courses in 1 year is too much. Taking 3 A levels is enough for anyone and universities prefer highest grades in 3s Given here you are at the EPQ seems sensible to take but the core Maths is pointless unless you dont have GCSE Maths.
I see what you’re saying. To be honest, this year has gone to pot because of multiple family issues, rather than a lack of skill or knowledge of the subjects, so i’m not particularly worried about whether i can handle it or not, if that makes sense. The workload was manageable, but my heart wasn’t in it with everything going on.

For the unis i’ve looked at, the ones that specify on a level courses seem to place media in their A Block of subjects which i’m quite surprised at.

I’m wanting to drop core maths, it’s essentially pointless and just taking up room on my timetables, however my college are very pushy on taking it, particularly if you took subjects that are facilitating for it (so sciences and social sciences etc). As for my EPQ, i’ve only got to write the final draft, so i don’t want to just give it up now so close to finishing.

As far as i’m aware, i’m being offered ‘Certificate and Extended Certificate in Applied Law’, apparently it should take two years, but we squeeze it into one. I’m not particularly clued up on b-tecs having only been suggested one a few days ago, so i’m not sure.

I’ve only actually seen one uni that asked for the LNAT, which i think was Nottingham.

Thanks for the really thorough response!
Emma1999_
Badges: 14
Report 5 days ago
I have done law BTECs units and can say they have very similar content and there's people I know who have gone on to good unis such as Nottingham, Sheffield and Birmingham RG. However most of these did have a levels at high grades as well as distinction in law.
Personally, go for what you want forget others and university for a minute and think what's manageable for you as well as what you want to learn btec law will give you a good grounding but with other a levels is the essays managable.
Put yourself first and decide whats best for you . Remember this is a small part of your life and if you don't succeed or get into desired unis there's other routes you can take - getting experience and applying on this merit, open university, less popular university etc. Please don't worry too much about your choice your still young I made mistakes with mine and still are finding my route. Good luck with it all . :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (316)
15.3%
The paper was reasonable (1132)
54.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (453)
21.93%
It was TERRIBLE (165)
7.99%

Watched Threads