The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Visiting Durham

My son is in the middle of GCSEs and will be attending various Open Days in the academic year 2019-2020. Although My wife and I would like to accompany him, we both work on Saturdays (self employed!) which is when many of the Open Days are.

We are planning an informal visit to Durham this summer to see the town and University. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on what we should see so that we get as good an idea as possible?

Thanks.
Reply 1
We just had a look around the town centre to get a feel for the town and then looked at the locations of the various college buildings to get an idea of their locations in relation to the department building for the subject. Obviously you cannot guarantee to get your college choice but doing this meant that if we were give a different college we were aware of its location and feel on a superficial level. If you get an offer they will have offer holder days where you can go inside the college allocated and have a taster lecture. We did lots of research into the colleges on the Durham website first so we had a good idea of which we wanted to focus on first.
Original post by FM Stube
My son is in the middle of GCSEs and will be attending various Open Days in the academic year 2019-2020. Although My wife and I would like to accompany him, we both work on Saturdays (self employed!) which is when many of the Open Days are.

We are planning an informal visit to Durham this summer to see the town and University. Does anyone have any advice/recommendations on what we should see so that we get as good an idea as possible?

Thanks.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I live in Durham! I think it depends what you son is interested in. If he is interested in the whole area, I would wander round the main town area and get a feel for the place. Maybe walk up toward the cathedral and castle/some of the colleges are also located this way and you can usually see a lot of the students milling around the city in groups. You could also go round and get a feel for where all the different areas of the Uni are located. It really is a beautiful City and I am sure your son will like it there if he chooses the location.
When we couldn't visit on an open day we went in the summer holidays. DS emailed the department he was interested in and they showed us (and another family) around - we got the full powerpoint presentation they gave at open day. He also contacted a couple of colleges and someone showed him around those too, plus we turned up at one and was shown around that. We stayed it University College (in the Castle) on a BandB basis too. Everyone was really friendly and helpful.

Here is a link to organising visits outside of open days - they have obviously made it a bit more formal now

https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/visit/depts/

DS is now finishing his third year (of a 4 year integrated masters) and has loved every minute of it!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending