Giving some help for Chemistry Chapter 6 AQA GCSE.

Watch
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Ok! I'm juggling subjects right now!
Here's to help you with chapter 6 Chemistry AQA!!
I get mad when I have to memorise some nonsense, but here's a quicker way to memorise the effect of temperature changes on equilibrium for the yield of exothermic & endothermic reactions.

Okay, I'd like to think that we're trapped inside a cube, and that "exothermic" means "exit" as in, the cube has a lid that is opened. A little red guy is inside it, he has been hot all his life and he hates it. Now, if we increase the temperature, he gets a little mad for it being so hot and he jumps out - this is decreasing the yield, the guy is no longer here.
However, if we decrease the temperature, this guy invites his friends over as this is a cool place to hang around with. So the yield increases.

Now, for endothermic. Imagine the same cube and the guy, but the guy is now blue not red. The cube is sealed. He has been cold for most of his life, so increasing the temperature means that we're increasing the yield as he invites his cold guys over too.
If we decrease the temperature, he will move away because he hates the cold! So we decrease the yield!

Another tip for remembering which is which:
"Exothermic" likes to "exit" when there's heat.
"Endothermic" likes to stay in places where heat is possible.

Oooo and another thing. Since this is like endothermic = ice age and exothermic reminds me of the dinosaurs and the meteor...

Endothermic - END of thermal heat.
Exothermic - EXPLOSION of heat.
Attached files
Last edited by liaente; 1 year ago
lilyrose270
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thanks! it seems like you are a visual learner -which i am too. good luck on Wednesday!
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
You too!!
(Original post by lilyrose270)
thanks! it seems like you are a visual learner -which i am too. good luck on Wednesday!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (7)
13.73%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (11)
21.57%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (22)
43.14%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (8)
15.69%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
5.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed