How to pick a university Watch

LegitLizard
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've been to a few open days and they don't seem helpful, I don't learn much about the course in general. I need to decide which uni's I want to apply for from a shortlist of about 10. I just don't know how to decide, the course content looks somewhat similar, but I don't know the differences, let alone whether I'd like studying these topics, as I've never encountered them. Any advice?
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LegitLizard)
I've been to a few open days and they don't seem helpful, I don't learn much about the course in general. I need to decide which uni's I want to apply for from a shortlist of about 10. I just don't know how to decide, the course content looks somewhat similar, but I don't know the differences, let alone whether I'd like studying these topics, as I've never encountered them. Any advice?
What subject are you looking to study? Perhaps there are certain aspects of the course that may interest you more?

It helps to think about what is most important to you in choosing a university. As well as the course, you may be looking at uni ranking, facilities, course opportunities, location and assessment/teaching styles. This should help you to narrow down your choices. I recommend you do some reading on the universities' websites, as well as read other student reviews online. Going to the open days can be a good opportunity to visit the university campus (see what is available) and the accommodation. You may also have time to experience the city too. Did you also ask lecturers and current students any questions you had about studying?
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
cheesecakelove has given some great points to think about - to add to them:

would you prefer a campus or a city university? In a campus university, everything will be located in one campus, typically outside of the city centre, while a city uni will be located within a city but may be more spread out.

do you strongly want a certain type of accommodation? Some places may have more en-suite bathrooms for example, or more opportunities for catering.

how far do you want to be from home? What is the journey like if you want to visit home?

Just a few extra points that are worth thinking about - but essentially the best thing that open days can do is give you a feel for somewhere. Personally, I fell in love with my uni when I went to the open day and that was enough for me to know, but obviously that may not happen so having a think about these other points should help
LegitLizard
Rep:
?
I'm certain I want to study computer science at uni. The issue is I'm not sure what aspects of the course actually interest me. We haven't covered most of the stuff the modules talk about, so I'm in the dark. I've emailed my teacher to see if they have any bright ideas. I've based my shortlist off uni rankings, but I think I'll look into the teaching styles and see what I can find. The accommodation takes less priority, and I can research that online. I didn't really ask the lecturers/students about studying, but thanks for bringing it up, the next time I go, I'll research the course before and ask. Thanks

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
What subject are you looking to study? Perhaps there are certain aspects of the course that may interest you more?

It helps to think about what is most important to you in choosing a university. As well as the course, you may be looking at uni ranking, facilities, course opportunities, location and assessment/teaching styles. This should help you to narrow down your choices. I recommend you do some reading on the universities' websites, as well as read other student reviews online. Going to the open days can be a good opportunity to visit the university campus (see what is available) and the accommodation. You may also have time to experience the city too. Did you also ask lecturers and current students any questions you had about studying?
LegitLizard
Rep:
?
Thanks for the other points, they are definitely worth considering. I don't think campus or city is as big an issue, but good point about accommodation and bathrooms. Thanks, you've helped clear a bit of the fog from my decision making.
(Original post by BlueEyedGirl_)
cheesecakelove has given some great points to think about - to add to them:

would you prefer a campus or a city university? In a campus university, everything will be located in one campus, typically outside of the city centre, while a city uni will be located within a city but may be more spread out.

do you strongly want a certain type of accommodation? Some places may have more en-suite bathrooms for example, or more opportunities for catering.

how far do you want to be from home? What is the journey like if you want to visit home?

Just a few extra points that are worth thinking about - but essentially the best thing that open days can do is give you a feel for somewhere. Personally, I fell in love with my uni when I went to the open day and that was enough for me to know, but obviously that may not happen so having a think about these other points should help
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are you taking Maths at A level as some universities insist on that. Would you prefer to live in a big or small city. Going away for the first time would you prefer to be on the campus with other students or have students scattered all over the city. Would you prefer to be somewhere with lots of greenery around you. How close or far from home would you want to be. Are you a sporty or arty type and what are the facilities like. Did you get the feeling the staff/students are down to earth/stuck up. Did you feel welcome.
I'm certain I want to study computer science at uni. The issue is I'm not sure what aspects of the course actually interest me. We haven't covered most of the stuff the modules talk about, so I'm in the dark. I've emailed my teacher to see if they have any bright ideas. I've based my shortlist off uni rankings, but I think I'll look into the teaching styles and see what I can find. The accommodation takes less priority, and I can research that online. I didn't really ask the lecturers/students about studying, but thanks for bringing it up, the next time I go, I'll research the course before and ask. Thanks
Thanks for the other points, they are definitely worth considering. I don't think campus or city is as big an issue, but good point about accommodation l as some universities require thaand bathrooms. Thanks, you've helped clear a bit of the fog from my decision making.
LegitLizard
Rep:
?
Ok, some good things to consider. I take maths, further maths, computer science and physics. Some of these I know the answer to, but some others are good to consider at open days, thanks.
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Are you taking Maths at A level as some universities insist on that. Would you prefer to live in a big or small city. Going away for the first time would you prefer to be on the campus with other students or have students scattered all over the city. Would you prefer to be somewhere with lots of greenery around you. How close or far from home would you want to be. Are you a sporty or arty type and what are the facilities like. Did you get the feeling the staff/students are down to earth/stuck up. Did you feel welcome.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At open days you are just thinking of 5 universities you would be happy to go. If you get offers then usually you are invited to applicant days. Those are more subject related and it is at these you will be seeking more detailed information to decide your firm and insurance choices. Universities have different policies. I went with my son for Maths at Lancaster. Their first year involved taking 3 subjects. At Exeter the first year was set but in subsequent years you could take 2 modules per year from another subject eg Computer Science or Physics so that is worth looking out for as well. Other issues could be the ability to spend a year abroad or out working in industry.
Ok, some good things to consider. I take maths, further maths, computer science and physics. Some of these I know the answer to, but some others are good to consider at open days, thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (316)
15.27%
The paper was reasonable (1133)
54.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (454)
21.94%
It was TERRIBLE (166)
8.02%

Watched Threads