The Student Room Group

Year 10 mock importance for sixth form applications to private schools

Hey everyone, so for A-level I want to take History, Geography, Spanish and Maths. Right now, I am doing my end of year exams/ mocks because I am finishing year 10. The teachers are making the tests super hard, but knowing them it won't make them any more keen on lowering the grade boundaries. While I think I will do ok in my exams that are for the subjects I want to take for A-levels, I don't have the same positivity going for my combined science,

Hence, my question, will the sixth forms I apply to really look at these grades, and if they do, will they focus a lot on the grades for the subjects I don't want to take? I have 8's predicted in everything right now but I am scared that the teachers will lower it after this mock exam so yeah teh stress kicking in.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated, thank you :smile:
Like they look at your predicted grades so they can see if they can offer you a place but if you apply with better grades, you might be able to get in.

They don’t focus on the grades of the subjects that’s irrelevant to the courses, only if they are needed for that specific course. They only look if you need it for entry requirements overall but for the subjects you don’t take, only specific subjects will be looked at.

If you have been getting good grades before, I doubt they’ll lower it. Don’t worry about it’s only your mocks, they are just an indicator of how well you’re doing and gives you a chance to test yourself.

If you do great in yr 11 before sixth form applications are considered by students, then they could change it if they ever lower it.
Ok thank you. I'm assuming they base a lot on their entrance exams considering a lot of the private ones do that. Also, do you know if, let's say for the mocks the grade boundaries were lowered, and like 60% was a 7 then would they care about the percentage or just look at the actual grade?
Thanks anyways
Original post by PetitePanda
Like they look at your predicted grades so they can see if they can offer you a place but if you apply with better grades, you might be able to get in.

They don’t focus on the grades of the subjects that’s irrelevant to the courses, only if they are needed for that specific course. They only look if you need it for entry requirements overall but for the subjects you don’t take, only specific subjects will be looked at.

If you have been getting good grades before, I doubt they’ll lower it. Don’t worry about it’s only your mocks, they are just an indicator of how well you’re doing and gives you a chance to test yourself.

If you do great in yr 11 before sixth form applications are considered by students, then they could change it if they ever lower it.
Original post by Ortographer0311
Ok thank you. I'm assuming they base a lot on their entrance exams considering a lot of the private ones do that. Also, do you know if, let's say for the mocks the grade boundaries were lowered, and like 60% was a 7 then would they care about the percentage or just look at the actual grade?
Thanks anyways

They would just look at both to see where the grades would be but they would mainly focus on the actual grade
Ok, that is really helpful thank you, so if it doesn't go as great as the other ones then I am not fully screwed lol
Original post by PetitePanda
They would just look at both to see where the grades would be but they would mainly focus on the actual grade

Quick Reply

Latest