Alphapforever
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Starting to write my personel reference to apply for undergraduate history:
1. What work experience could I do (other than archives/museum) relating to history that is a bit different from the norm.
2. Are there any particular books which are worth reading to be mentioned in my personal statement?
Alexty28
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Include books on era's of history you find interesting, I wrote an entire paragraph on Statism in Japan and included the title of books I read linked to this topic. I advise writing about things such as Nazis or Tudors as its predictable and what most people write in their history ps. So just read a book on an era of history you enjoy which is outside of your current course.
Alphapforever
Rep:
?
thank you! And in terms of work experience or volunteering, is there anything you did/you know of which will be great to do?
(Original post by Alexty28)
Include books on era's of history you find interesting, I wrote an entire paragraph on Statism in Japan and included the title of books I read linked to this topic. I advise writing about things such as Nazis or Tudors as its predictable and what most people write in their history ps. So just read a book on an era of history you enjoy which is outside of your current course.
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alphapforever)
thank you! And in terms of work experience or volunteering, is there anything you did/you know of which will be great to do?
The only work experience I talked about was museum related as you had already mentioned. I also mentioned trips to historical sites and did a big chunk on my EPQ. So I didn't really go too far into work experience, but I kept my whole PS history related.
Alphapforever
Rep:
?
In terms of the reading. Do you keep it based around one topic of history? If so, how did you decide which one? (What university are you at by the way?)
The only work experience I talked about was museum related as you had already mentioned. I also mentioned trips to historical sites and did a big chunk on my EPQ. So I didn't really go too far into work experience, but I kept my whole PS history related.
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In terms of the reading. Do you keep it based around one topic of history? If so, how did you decide which one? (What university are you at by the way?)
I just chose one based on my interests, I guess you could say I talked about two if you include my EPQ. I show you my paragraph below-

Over the course of my education, History has been the subject that has always had me captivated and I have never studied an era of history that has left me uninterested. One of my favourite eras of history is Imperial Japan during the Shōwa period, during the rule of Emperor Hirohito. The resurrection of ancient samurai practices brought into the 20th Century made the Japanese Imperial army a legend of its own time and a fierce opponent to their enemies. The obscure warrior culture during the Shōwa period is what has had me engrossed with this era of history, as it as example of how a country's aim of preserving historic tradition has led to slaughter in the name of honour. Meirion and Susie Harries book, 'Soldiers of the Sun', explores the old Samurai culture to explain why the Japanese army of the Shōwa period became such a formidable and brutal force. What I found most fascinating about this book was how the authors detail the Japanese atrocities of WW2 and discuss the Japanese justification of these atrocities, as it was part of their warrior culture.

I am still doing my A Levels at the moment, but I got accepted to all my 5 choices- Manchester, Birmingham, QMUL (unconditional), Sheffield and Southampton.
Alphapforever
Rep:
?
So is this ‘imperial japan’ something you have studied in A levels and you are just expanding on it, or is it on an area that you are just interested in.
I just chose one based on my interests, I guess you could say I talked about two if you include my EPQ. I show you my paragraph below-

Over the course of my education, History has been the subject that has always had me captivated and I have never studied an era of history that has left me uninterested. One of my favourite eras of history is Imperial Japan during the Shōwa period, during the rule of Emperor Hirohito. The resurrection of ancient samurai practices brought into the 20th Century made the Japanese Imperial army a legend of its own time and a fierce opponent to their enemies. The obscure warrior culture during the Shōwa period is what has had me engrossed with this era of history, as it as example of how a country's aim of preserving historic tradition has led to slaughter in the name of honour. Meirion and Susie Harries book, 'Soldiers of the Sun', explores the old Samurai culture to explain why the Japanese army of the Shōwa period became such a formidable and brutal force. What I found most fascinating about this book was how the authors detail the Japanese atrocities of WW2 and discuss the Japanese justification of these atrocities, as it was part of their warrior culture.

I am still doing my A Levels at the moment, but I got accepted to all my 5 choices- Manchester, Birmingham, QMUL (unconditional), Sheffield and Southampton.
Alexty28
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
So is this ‘imperial japan’ something you have studied in A levels and you are just expanding on it, or is it on an area that you are just interested in.
It just an are that I am interested in to demonstrate that I have a wider interest in history outside of my A Level.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need work experience in history to mention in your PS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads